Normal outcome without PGS

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Maybe

Maybe
  • 32 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:27 PM

I have a question, why to even consider PGS testing ? When there has been so much data that body naturally has the ability to correct abnormalities.

I was listening to Center of Human Reproduction YouTube video and they seem to be pretty experienced. They think PGS is overrated and actually wastes a large number of normal embryos via either False Negative or dismissing the bodys natural ability to correct..

Is anybody here had normal healthy baby conceived via untested embryos (especially when PGS testing was not even in the market) ?

#2 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 21 June 2020 - 04:15 PM

I have heard about the biopsy damaging the embryo and false positives. We ended up not doing PGS for financial reasons (OHIP covers FETs from the same IVF cycle) but even so I wonder if that was a mistake because the progesterone is not exactly free and miscarriages are not fun. I think you can reasonably argue either case unless you are pushing late 30s or you've had repeat miscarriages in the past, in which case I would argue for PGS.

I am 9mo pregnant with an untested FET, BFP first try.

#3 Maybe

Maybe
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:54 AM

Thank you for the reply Cotton!

How is it going for you. Did you get all the testing done after conceiving ? I am 41 and my older sister had Downs baby at the age of 26. While nothing can be done or said when it comes to Mother Nature. I was wondering how is your experience going. If you dont mind sharing pertinent info if you are in scary age (like mine) range and how should I proceed from here after failing FET (very precious) after 3ivfs, uterine cleaning, ERA, receptiva, 13 trilaminar ... and so much more (like we are doing).. life seems so meaningless

#4 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 166 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:47 AM

Hi Maybe,
I completely agree with Cotton. PGS was not available (or not common protocol) with either of my ivf cycles. Ive had three live births on untested embryos and was 37 at the time. If there is a history of repeated miscarriage I would also likely argue for it but its still possible to carry to term without the extra expensive step of PGS. Sending luck your way.

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/[email protected] th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.

#5 Maybe

Maybe
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:12 AM

Thank From0to3 !

37 is a safer age, says my RE. She clarified on my first visit that after 38, there is a major decline and then at 40. I have passed two major milestones. I do not have Hx of miscarriages (which my RE has particularly recommended to try on our own as conceiving is the first positive step) and now I understand it fully after failing healthy embryo.

I know girls @44, 43, 39 and 38 - with repeated miscarriages and conceived after first PGT normal FET.

Its now about my uterus Only...

#6 Leah5

Leah5
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:31 PM

It's hard as looking back on our individual experiences, it's easy to make an overall judgement... which is what I'm about to do, lol. But I didn't know what to do or what would happen at the time, especially as every cycle, retrieval, etc. is different from the next.

I have one child from a day 3 fresh transfer (untested) and that was the only remaining still growing embryo at the time. (age 34)

I've had a miscarriage using an untested embryo. It was such an awful experience, to help avoid experiencing it again we decided to PGS any embryos we were lucky enough to get. If they weren't progressing well, we would do day 3 transfer. (age 35)

Our next cycles, we got more eggs. We did cycles of more day 3 transfer and cycles where we tried to get to blast. One cycle none got to blast. Another, 1 did - so we didn't PGS and did fresh transfer. All of these cycles were BFN. (age 35-38)

We moved to donor eggs. We used 2 different donors and the embryos were PGS tested. BFNs.

We tried donor embryos. One transfer resulted in an early miscarriage. The next donor embryos (different donors) were untested and resulted in our second child.

I had done every test except for ERA. So looking back, I wouldn't PGS as my babies ended up being untested embryos. For us, it took years of trying, persistence, and for our second child, donor gametes. It was a long haul and we spent a ton of money, but we feel very lucky. Testing made no difference for us, but I guess if I had lots of blasts that could result in multiple transfers per cycle, maybe it would have been different.

#7 Maybe

Maybe
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:36 PM

Thank you Leah5 !

Your perspective makes total sense. You are lucky momma of two now ❤️❤️... yes, iVF uncertainty is the beast! Only if I had known and started early. The fear of age is growing humungous with every passing day. The anger, desperation, grief, denial all coexist in one moment I never knew!

#8 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • Global 100+
  • 101 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:25 AM

A few friends of mine underwent IVF and IVF with PGS NGS, and all of them had 2nd time success

#9 islandecho

islandecho
  • 41 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:42 PM

Im so interested in this subject I had 4 embryos tested, 2 abnormal one high mosaic one low mosaic with a partial duplicate segment of an X chromosome. I cant help thinking if its just a partial additional quarter segment and not a full duplication, couldnt it correct itself in utero?? My biggest problem is I couldnt live with myself knowing I transferred an embryo and kept it to term knowing there may have been something wrong, I could of course test after when and if it even stuck but the other thing is Ive had hyperemesis gravidum (all day all night wanna die morning sickness) with both my pregnancies and kiddos and the thought of being so sick I wanna crawl in a hole on an embryo Im not 99% sure of and then potentially having to lose it just doesnt sound like something anyone would want to do. The massive lack of information on mosaics makes it literally impossible to make an educated decision. I just dont know what to do. I wish there was anyone who could give first hand experience but I havent found any with this specific partial duplication. If this was even a year ago they only had abnormal or normal our genetic counsellor told us. Im guessing even that low level would be considered abnormal

#10 Cotton2

Cotton2
  • 35 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:47 PM

Thank you for the reply Cotton!

How is it going for you. Did you get all the testing done after conceiving ? I am 41 and my older sister had Downs baby at the age of 26. While nothing can be done or said when it comes to Mother Nature. I was wondering how is your experience going. If you dont mind sharing pertinent info if you are in scary age (like mine) range and how should I proceed from here after failing FET (very precious) after 3ivfs, uterine cleaning, ERA, receptiva, 13 trilaminar ... and so much more (like we are doing).. life seems so meaningless

I forget what level of screening we had done. I think it was one more level up from the standard but we didn't go for the panoramic because everything across the board came back normal. My baby girl was born healthy, so as far as we know, no genetic disorders. I was 35 at egg retrieval.