Splitting hairs question - how to date IVF pregnancy? - Waiting Lounge - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Splitting hairs question - how to date IVF pregnancy?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:13 PM

Just curious how your due date was calculated if you had an IVF success. Was it by the date of the embryo transfer and age of the embryo, or ultrasound, and if by ultrasound, *which* one (because I know most of us get more than one in the first trimester)?

My midwives seem to be using the first ultrasound (6 weeks approx), which gives a date 2 days later than what online calculators going by the embryo's age and date of transfer.

#2 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:16 AM

For a 3-day embryo you are 17 days pregnant on the day of transfer and for a 5 or 6-day blast you are 19 days pregnant on the day of transfer. In the end it is just a set date and there are theories out there that different ethnicities may actually have different gestational periods.

#3 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 17 June 2020 - 09:51 AM

That's weird to think about, you walk into the procedure room 0 days pregnant and walk out 17 or 19 days pregnant.

It's funny that such a basic thing is not settled science. I read conflicting sources on whether the 6wk ultrasound is more accurate vs the NT ultrasound.

#4 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 12:48 PM

Probably for aging there is less variation at the beginning and the more the fetus grows the more genetics and motherhood factors affect growth.

#5 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 12:50 PM

Oh and science is never exact as it is a continually evolving process.