Failed FET after ERA - what to do now?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Maybe

Maybe
  • 30 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 10 June 2020 - 11:12 PM

I am 41 (42 in Nov)- 3ivf cycles, with two healthy embryos.
Did ERA and proceeded with transfer of AA quality embryo > BFN.
Disheartened, devastated and cant even dare to think to transfer the second.. RE recommends surrogate (so expensive)
- does that mean my chance is over?
- anybody who failed FET after ERA and still went for another transfer with success ?
- Repeat ERA ?

I never felt this defeated in life!!!
Any input will be appreciated.

#2 amazing grace

amazing grace
  • Global 100+
  • 738 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 11 June 2020 - 04:41 PM

Maybe,

the same thing happened to me. However, I was not suggested the surrogate route, I was basically told to try again. There are a lot of things that still can go wrong with this test. I would get a second opinion. Nothing is full proof with IVF. There are quite a few people who were unsuccessful after having this test and went on to have a healthy baby with their own uterus.

• Maybe likes this

#3 Maybe

Maybe
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:07 PM

That is such a relief to hear. Based on my discussion with RE, it seemed that it is an extremely rare happening and I personally think, she couldnt think of any other option but surrogate because of my poor response of only 2healthy embryos in 3ivfs..

I am not sure where you are in your journey, but best of luck with all my heart!! Second opinion is I shall get them!! Thanks !!

#4 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • 80 posts
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:06 PM

I can't help with personal experiences, just wanted to wish all the best on your journey x

#5 janny82

janny82
  • 1000+
  • 1488 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton/VFC

Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:46 PM

I had 3 failed transfers following the recommended ERA protocol, even with a PGS normal, fully hatched beautiful blast. My clinic did a study of ERA and found it didn’t significantly improve outcomes for patients so now don’t put a lot of stock in it. If you look in my history on my profile, you can see that we went through many MANY failed transfers. Our last FET we totally changed the protocol and ended up with a successful pregnancy. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason. have your embryos been tested via PGS/PGT to rule out genetic abnormalities that could account for implantation failure? By 40, up to 50% of our eggs are genetically abnormal. I’d want to rule that out before considering surrogacy (as even with a healthy uterus, a pregnancy will not occur if the embryo is genetically unhealthy). I wish you luck in whatever you decide, as someone who has been there many times, I definitely know how hard it is to keep going!!
  • BabyforQ likes this

#6 Maybe

Maybe
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:34 AM

Could you please elaborate on changed protocol ?

Yes, PGS normal, AA quality (obviously thats not a significant factor) but still... Failing after ERA is my major concern and just dont know the fate of one left normal embryo with lesser quality

#7 islandecho

islandecho
  • 41 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:17 PM

I had 3 failed transfers following the recommended ERA protocol, even with a PGS normal, fully hatched beautiful blast. My clinic did a study of ERA and found it didn’t significantly improve outcomes for patients so now don’t put a lot of stock in it. If you look in my history on my profile, you can see that we went through many MANY failed transfers. Our last FET we totally changed the protocol and ended up with a successful pregnancy. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason. have your embryos been tested via PGS/PGT to rule out genetic abnormalities that could account for implantation failure? By 40, up to 50% of our eggs are genetically abnormal. I’d want to rule that out before considering surrogacy (as even with a healthy uterus, a pregnancy will not occur if the embryo is genetically unhealthy). I wish you luck in whatever you decide, as someone who has been there many times, I definitely know how hard it is to keep going!!

may I ask what the changed protocol wass?

#8 Maybe

Maybe
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:59 AM

I had 3 failed transfers following the recommended ERA protocol, even with a PGS normal, fully hatched beautiful blast. My clinic did a study of ERA and found it didnt significantly improve outcomes for patients so now dont put a lot of stock in it. If you look in my history on my profile, you can see that we went through many MANY failed transfers. Our last FET we totally changed the protocol and ended up with a successful pregnancy. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason. have your embryos been tested via PGS/PGT to rule out genetic abnormalities that could account for implantation failure? By 40, up to 50% of our eggs are genetically abnormal. Id want to rule that out before considering surrogacy (as even with a healthy uterus, a pregnancy will not occur if the embryo is genetically unhealthy). I wish you luck in whatever you decide, as someone who has been there many times, I definitely know how hard it is to keep going!!

#9 Maybe

Maybe
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:00 AM

Could you plz elaborate on changes protocol ?!

#10 janny82

janny82
  • 1000+
  • 1488 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:08 PM

I did a natural cycle FET using letrozole to help me build a thicker lining (previously I had always done BCP, then used estrace then progesterone to build up the lining). I monitored ovulation using an OPK and clinic verified with bloodwork and ultrasound to check the lining and make sure it was at least 8mm thick. After ovulation, I started very high doses of progesterone, 400mg endometrin daily and 1mL PIO injection every three days. I also took 2mg estrace and ASA81 mg daily until 10weeks gestation. I had 5 days doxycycline and 5 days medrol from ovulation, last dose the day of the embryo transfer. I think the biggest difference for me was a more “natural” ovulation cycle in prepping my lining, then of course the huge amounts of progesterone. I had another pregnancy following this same protocol with my last remaining embryo (not PGS tested), which unfortunately ended in blighted ovum but I was encouraged that I was able to get another positive pregnancy test after so many failures. I am currently starting my 4th IVF cycle and will be doing PGS and FET following the same protocol if I am lucky enough to get any normal embryos.

#11 janny82

janny82
  • 1000+
  • 1488 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:09 PM

The exact details of my protocol is under “FET #7” in my “about me” section if you click on my profile pic.