To PGT or Not PGT

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ababyforcarrie

ababyforcarrie
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:28 PM

We are being given the option of PGT. We have no known factors on either side, but have had a miscarriage and a chemical. Age is 42. Opinions on to PGT or not and why?

#2 Misskika007

Misskika007
  • Global 100+
  • 129 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:55 PM

Hi! I have had three natural miscarriages and have gone through two IVF cycles with two failed transfers. My doc is recommending PGT for this next cycle as it provides more information about embryos and eqq quality, therefore, you can hone in on possible causes of infertility. At an older age, chromosomal abnormalities in embryos are much more common, and PGT abnormal embryos will not result in a live birth. We will be pursuing PGT testing for our next cycle as it ultimately could cancel out the costs spent transferring chromosomally abnormal embryos and save even more emotional and physical stress of miscarrying. It will also help us make a better decision on whether or not donor eggs should be the route we pursue. Good luck with your decision and wishing you the best with your cycle. 

• annatarz79 likes this

Me: 36, Hub: 36

TTC 4 years

Beginning 3rd IVF cycle- hopefully 3rd time's a charm! heart.gif

#3 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:09 PM

At 42 I probably would unless there was only 1 or 2 embryos that could both be transferred fresh

#4 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3229 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:55 PM

There is also some new research that says that where they sample the cells from for analysis may not be fully representative of the entire embryos and that some embryos can self-correct.

#5 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • 49 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:36 AM

I am not sure whether it is the same procedure, but a close friend of my sis who had experienced mcs got pregnant thanks to IVF PGS NGS. It occured genetics was the issue.

#6 DorothyandToto

DorothyandToto
  • Global 100+
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:My furry children, movies, Pilates, travel, cooking
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:04 PM

I believe in PGT even if you only have one embryo. I am 43 years old and 32 weeks pregnant with a PGT normal boy from a cycle that only yielded 2 embryos...one was normal and one was not. My second cycle yielded one embryo that ended up being normal as well.
I just feel that it is a time saver at our age. I would also recommend an ERA test prior to the transfer of the healthy embryo. I did this and my receptive window was off by 12 hours, so I needed more progesterone than average...just saying what has worked for me.
I had a 7 week miscarriage and a chemical pregnancy followed by 10 years of no pregnancy before trying IVF.

#7 Babylu

Babylu
  • 8 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 27 June 2020 - 12:21 PM

I also had 3 natural miscarriages with 2 due to trisomy. I did my first egg retrieval last month and out of 12 embryos tested, 6 of them were genetically normal. I feel its worth the cost to reduce the chance of miscarriage by that much. Hope transfer goes well.
  • hopefuldadsomeday likes this

#8 33sunflowers

33sunflowers
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts
  • My Clinic:RFC

Posted 06 July 2020 - 02:14 PM

Thank you all for your replies. My husband and I decided to do PGta since we are both 40. We are on our 2nd ivf now in day 1 of egg retrieval and your responses help confirm our own beliefs to choose the best Healthy embryo for transfer.

#9 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • 49 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:23 AM

awesome news, I keep my fingers crossed

#10 33sunflowers

33sunflowers
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts
  • My Clinic:RFC

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:17 PM

I just want to update on my news which might or not help others as to perform PGTA or not. We got quite a lot of eggs (20) of those 12 fertilized and only 2 made it to day 5 and an additional 2 on day 6. However, on day 5 my clinic allows me to decide to continue with a fresh transfer or freeze. Two very nice looking eggs were available on day 5 (A and high B) quality. Emotionally I just wanted to give it a try but we decided To do PGTA and freeze. We got the results of our 4 embryos today and turns out that the nice looking A quality embryo from day 5 turned out to be abnormal. So morphology cant always tell you. Out of the 4 embryos, 2 are normal (yay) and so we will do a FET in the coming months. After going through the 2nd ivf cycle we are happy that we went with PGTA and give us our best shot for the FET.
  • hopefuldadsomeday and DorothyandToto like this