• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ababyforcarrie

ababyforcarrie
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:05 PM

Hello!

I am completely new to all of this and at 42 years of age starting IVF. I have a child of 6 years old with the same partner. Have completed 6 IUI's in the past year, one resulting in miscarriage at 8/9 weeks, another resulting in chemical. We have been told that iVF is the best shot we have given my age. Our Dr would like to proceed with IVF utilizing ICSI. There is no male factor, so I am not sure why the ICSI? I am a bit afraid of the studies I have read stating there is an increased risk of autism and mental development with ICSI. Thoughts? Thank you for your time. Best of luck to you all. 

#2 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3241 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:34 PM

ICSI is standard practice at my clinic. Being older, your eggs might be harder for sperm to get through, and assuming you won't have too many eggs retrieved due to age, I would think ICSI would be very appropriate. I am not sure that there are large scale comprehensive studies that show that there is a link between ICSI and autism.

That being said, as with anything on this journey you have to respect who you are and what you believe and take the path of least regrets.

• annatarz79 likes this

#3 ababyforcarrie

ababyforcarrie
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:46 AM

Thank you for your response. I am worried of doing anything to jeopardize anything right now. My friend forwarded me the studies as she is a nurse and concerned and in turn has made me concerned. Thank You again for taking the time to respond.

#4 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3241 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:57 AM

As I said I think fertility clinics use the most up to date science to get the best possible results. I myself take comfort from that and trust their judgement on this.

#5 Leah5

Leah5
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:09 PM

I think it's a bigger risk to pay for IVF and not do ICSI, in case the fertilization process is an issue.

Alternatively, you can also ask for a half ICSI cycle, where half the eggs are ICSI-ed and the other half attempt to fertilize with the sperm on their own. 

• returnable likes this

#6 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • 84 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:10 PM

Do you know the reasons why you cannot get pregnant? Have you done karyotyping? Poor sperm quality might be one of the reasons, but as you said MF is no the issue in your case. Chromosome aneuploidy is one of the most common reasons why a woman aged 40+ cannot get pregnant. In order to know that a couple usually does karyotyping. In case genetics is the issue, IVF PGS NGS might be one of the best solutions.I would discuss with a doc whether or not IVF PGS NGS would be the best option for you, as far as I know IVF ICSI works well in case of MF.