Incompatible sperm?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vivvvi

Vivvvi
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:31 AM

Has anyone heard of incompatible sperm? I used donor sperm for IVF. The sperm had high motility and was assessed to be of high quality. However, it did not fertilize any of my 7-8 mature eggs with ICSI. My RE was baffled and had no explanations. I'm thinking of going for round 2, but I am not able to find any other donors (I'm really picky in choosing one). Could there have been some type of incompatibility between myself and the donor whereby the sperm did not activate my eggs? Anyone heard of this?

#2 amazing grace

amazing grace
  • Global 100+
  • 739 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:08 PM

Here is my take, just like donor eggs, donor sperm is not perfect! I would be curious to know what assessment was done on the specimen. Have you contacted the agency that provided the donor for you? I would be curious to know how they rate high quality? Also your RE should have answers for you, I am surprised he didn't provide some insight. 

#3 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:43 PM

If you want to google it, the term is total fertilization failure. It could just be bad luck (a certain % don't fertilize and you happened to have only bad eggs that cycle) or it could be a sign of poor egg quality. I'm with Amazing Grace, I would expect more guidance from your RE. I wouldn't do another cycle without a second opinion

• amazing grace likes this

#4 brea

brea
  • 60 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:12 PM

The incompatibility typically is resolved through ICSI incase there were some antibodies that would cause incompatibility, but even that is not perfect. I am curious to know what you RE offers as a hypothesis to explain this.

My RE has told me time and again (almost to manage my expectations) that while the IVF process and equipment used have become so sophisticated over the years there is still so much we don't know- like why do some work really well while others don't, after controlling for most factors including doing ICSI. We have to keep in mind recreating the exact physiological balance (homeostasis) present in the human body is really really hard to achieve in a petri dish in a lab. I think all we can do is be positive, do all that's been recommended by the REs and hope for the best. I wish you the best of luck.

It's my first try and we are hoping for egg retrieval sometime in June. 

#5 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • Global 100+
  • 101 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:16 PM

I can help with any answers, just wanted to wish you all the best on your journey.