305 replies to this topic

#26 cj123

cj123
  • Global 100+
  • 319 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:06 PM

ssb77 - my clinic says they have the same chance as well.  My clinic transfers embryos based on which reach blastocyst stage the fastest, not based on grading.  You might want to ask how your clinic picks which ones they transfer first.  

AFM - I had my ultrasound.  Surprise surprise I apparently have a polyp (insert eye roll), I had a bunch removed in November.  So we are cancelling and taking Provera to bring on my period and then doing a sonohysterogram again to make sure there isn't an issue, and then I guess that's going to put us at like a July ish transfer.  My RE wants to make sure everything is good as this is our final embryo.  Which I get and appreciate.  I was just looking forward to it all being done.  sigh.  Good luck in your cycles ladies!

Me - 31  Hubby - 31

Trying to conceive since 2012

2013- Husband diagnosed with Congenital Absence of Vas Deferens caused by being a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis

2013 - decided to adopt before pursuing fertility treatments

November 2015 - Our beautiful baby boy is born!  We got to be there for the birth!  He's ours!

May 2016 - Adoption Finalized!!!

After a cancelled IVF cycle and an IVF cycle that completely failed for unknown reasons (22 eggs, 10 fertilized, zero on day five), we have moved onto donor embryos! 

August 2017 - We received three beautiful embryos from an amazing donor family!  

FET #1- One beautiful hatching 5 day blast transferred Oct 11/17 - BFP!!! beta #1- 92 (9dp5dt) beta #2- 297 (13dp5dt)

beta #3- 700 (16dp5dt) beta #4- 3500 (20dp5dt)  

Ultrasound Nov 7 (6w4d) - One little bean, heartbeat of 125 bpm!  Due June 29, 2018

June 19, 2018 It's a Boy!! 7 lbs 2 oz of perfection!

FET #2 - One day 6 Blast transferred Feb 26/2020 - BFN 

One final chance with one final embryo hopefully soon!  Go away Covid-19!

#27 Daisy.Eriksen

Daisy.Eriksen
  • Global 100+
  • 403 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:07 PM

cj, I'm sorry to hear about your cycle cancellation. Even though it's for the best to make sure the polyps aren't going to cause any trouble, it's so disappointing to have to cancel and wait some more. Especially after two weeks of meds. I hope the next steps don't take too long.

ssb, hope your blood work went well today. It looks like June 2 will be a busy day for this group!

Returnable, I'm glad that you have been given the go-ahead and that the consents were easier this time! (And, happy to help with your questions - returning the favour after all your helpful DEB info last year!)

Just getting used to estrace again here, and trying not to stress out too much about the possibility of getting sick and having my cycle cancelled, even though I rarely leave my apartment. 

Hope you all have a good weekend!

TTC since 2013

Unsuccessful IVFs 2014-2016

Unsuccessful known egg donor cycle 2018

Donor Egg Bank Assured Refund plan 2019

Two unsuccessful DE transfers 2019

Unsuccessful DE transfer 2020

More about my journey in my profile

#28 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3241 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:06 PM

cj123 - so sorry to hear about the polyps. I totally understand your mental game.

AFM - my bloodwork checked out so I started meds today. I'm in for a lining ALSO on June 2nd, though for me it's to see whether I need the patch. The clinic experience in many ways was better than before as having an appointment time made the process very fast.

• Daisy.Eriksen likes this

#29 ssb77

ssb77
  • Global 100+
  • 152 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:RFP

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:06 PM

cj123 - so sorry to hear about the delays! I hope everything gets sorted out quickly so you can get going again.

This first bit before the lining check ultrasound is tough! Im hoping my lining is thickening appropriately.. its hard not knowing how things are going ha.

#30 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3241 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:14 PM

I hear you ssb77. Sometimes it's the not knowing that's the hardest. I don't expect a fast growing lining, so just want to see if I have to add the patch on top of my vaginal estrace. How are you doing otherwise?

#31 ssb77

ssb77
  • Global 100+
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:26 PM

returnable - I am doing ok.. quite a bit more anxious this time around it seems. Today I felt that getting a cold/sick feeling and so I am just so paranoid about covid and having to cancel my cycle! So this is whats probably adding to my nerves. I actually feel better tonight though and googled side effects of estradiol and think I am just really feeling the hormones lol. I had to add more estrogen last time for 6 more days because my lining wasnt thick enough at the first check so Im very curious to see where Im at on Tuesday.

#32 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3241 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:47 AM

I had my lining check this morning and after 11 days of estrace my lining is at 5.3 mm. I guess I'll be adding the patch today, but I'm waiting to hear on that.

How is everyone else doing?

#33 ssb77

ssb77
  • Global 100+
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:16 AM

I just got back from my lining check and am disappointed :( I was at 6.5mm so I have to add in vaginal estrogen and go back in 5 days. This is exactly what happened with my last FET so I should have expected it but I thought maybe miraculously, my lining would cooperate this time!

#34 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3241 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:42 PM

ssb77 - I'm sorry you didn't get the result you were hoping for. Do you know what lining thickness your RE is targeting?

BCmom - how did your lining check go?

Daisy - any updates from your lining check?

Steph - when is your monitoring?

#35 ssb77

ssb77
  • Global 100+
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:53 PM

My clinic targets 7mm. They did say today my lining is triple stripe and looks good but they just want to see if it will increase in thickness at all. My last FET I got to 6.9mm and after 6 more days of estrogen, it remained at 6.9mm but we did the transfer anyways and it was successful. I guess Im just bummed that in 5 days my lining probably wont change so we could have just gone ahead with it as originally scheduled. Oh well, just have to keep busy for a couple more days! Hope everyone else is doing well.

#36 BCMom

BCMom
  • Global 100+
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Nature, reading, gardening, hiking, pets
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Victoria fertility clinic

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:57 PM

Ssb77 and returnable....sorry to hear about more time doing lining thickening....more lovely estrogen...blah!! I get the WORST side effects from that stuff!! How about you?

I feel blessed and am lucky because so far (knock on wood) lining has not been an issue for me although each transfer now i almost expect that to be my next problem because this ivf character likes to throw twists in everywhere...just when you think you have your body and the process figured out...something unexpected will happen!!

So anyway i got a thickness of over 9 this time.... but i have had good thickness every time and it has not given me a take home baby...so i am somewhat cynical....

Feeling like i really want to feel positive about this....want to believe it will work...but having trouble getting past the numbness and cynicism....how do you all get into a positive mindset? Any tips welcomed!!

:-)

Tang71  

#37 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3241 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:09 PM

BCmom congrats on the thick lining. I think my RE even has good results at 6mm, so like you say lining is not the be all and end all. For me it is such a hard balance between staying positive and staying realistic. I always inch towards optimism and then am disappointed if another  hurdle appears. But the best thing to do is take things one day at a time. Right now I'm thinking let me get to 7 mm. I try not to wander too much further.

#38 Daisy.Eriksen

Daisy.Eriksen
  • Global 100+
  • 403 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:55 PM

ssb, I can relate to the paranoia regarding the feeling of getting a cold. I feel like it's just estrace side effects though. I'm sorry to hear your lining wasn't quite thick enough. Every delay is so disappointing. Hopefully it will be fine in 5 days.

Returnable, have you heard about whether you're adding the patch? Hopefully you won't need too many days/ week(s)? to get to 7. 

BCMom, that's great that your lining was thick enough. When will you learn your transfer date? I can totally understand feeling discouraged and pessimistic. You've had so many big disappointments over the last few years. Maybe it's ok to manage your expectations and just take it day by day. 

As for me, I have also been fortunate not to have any lining issues so today went well. I start progesterone on Thursday and transfer will be on Tuesday! I have a pre-transfer check on Monday as well. I am excited and nervous. I really hope this will be it. 

• melissa87 likes this

TTC since 2013

#39 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3241 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:46 PM

Daisy so happy to hear the news! I did add the patch today. If I get the same result as last time, I'd be more than willing to take a long time to get to my thickness.

#40 BCMom

BCMom
  • Global 100+
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:00 PM

ssb, I can relate to the paranoia regarding the feeling of getting a cold. I feel like it's just estrace side effects though. I'm sorry to hear your lining wasn't quite thick enough. Every delay is so disappointing. Hopefully it will be fine in 5 days.

Returnable, have you heard about whether you're adding the patch? Hopefully you won't need too many days/ week(s)? to get to 7. 

BCMom, that's great that your lining was thick enough. When will you learn your transfer date? I can totally understand feeling discouraged and pessimistic. You've had so many big disappointments over the last few years. Maybe it's ok to manage your expectations and just take it day by day. 

As for me, I have also been fortunate not to have any lining issues so today went well. I start progesterone on Thursday and transfer will be on Tuesday! I have a pre-transfer check on Monday as well. I am excited and nervous. I really hope this will be it. 

Thats great Daisy! So exciting! Wishing you a smoith and successful transfer...
May this be the ONE!!Not too long till Tuesday... :-)
i am still waiting to find out the exact date of my transfer. Tomorrow i have a progesterone bloodtest and then based on those results being good transfer will apparently be around wed or thursdayish next week

Excited and nervous are good words for it!!

Tang71  

#41 BCMom

BCMom
  • Global 100+
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:01 PM

BCmom congrats on the thick lining. I think my RE even has good results at 6mm, so like you say lining is not the be all and end all. For me it is such a hard balance between staying positive and staying realistic. I always inch towards optimism and then am disappointed if another  hurdle appears. But the best thing to do is take things one day at a time. Right now I'm thinking let me get to 7 mm. I try not to wander too much further.

Thanks! Sound advice! :-)

Tang71  

#42 Daisy.Eriksen

Daisy.Eriksen
  • Global 100+
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:40 AM

Thanks BC and returnable! 

I was thinking today about how my transfer, June 9, will be on the 7th anniversary of us starting to try for a child. I like the symmetry, the possibility of getting pregnant on that milestone. 

• melissa87 and Carter81 like this

TTC since 2013

#43 ssb77

ssb77
  • Global 100+
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:38 AM

Very exciting BCMom and Daisy on the linings and transfers coming up!

And returnable - I will be sending positive lining thoughts your way. Hopefully the patch will do the trick.

As for staying positive - I also have good days and bad days, up and down, and all around in my thoughts about this all. I do try and focus on one goal at a time so just have to get to Sunday now! I mostly struggle with thinking the first time this worked was “too good to be true” and that it can’t possibly work again. And the fact that I still don’t really know why we can’t get pregnant creeps into my mind. If I had an answer it would be easier to just say ok, we are doing this because of that. So I get the cynicism haha. We tried to conceive for 6 months leading up to this FET as I read so many stories of miraculously getting pregnant after IVF for the first so I feel sad that we weren’t part of that group Even though I know it wasn’t likely going to happen. Anyways, I’m rambling and I hope my nervousness can turn into cautious optimism as I move towards a transfer date :)

#44 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3241 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:10 AM

Oh I totally get that ssb77. We also felt super lucky to have a take home baby on the first transfer so now I just feel like we used our luck the first time. Good luck on your next lining check. Mine is on Friday. I hate going in so often just to be disappointed, but hopefully the patch will do something for me.

#45 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3241 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:13 AM

Thanks BC and returnable! 

I was thinking today about how my transfer, June 9, will be on the 7th anniversary of us starting to try for a child. I like the symmetry, the possibility of getting pregnant on that milestone. 

I try not to think this way as then my disappointment is greater if it doesn't work because originally I feel like it was meant to be. You have to be so protective of yourself during this journey. Of course my fingers are crossed for you.

#46 StephSherwood

StephSherwood
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:14 PM

Hi Everyone!  

ssb77 and returnable - sorry to hear about the lining delays :/ 

Daisy - that is great news!!!

BCMom - it's so hard to stay positive sometimes.  But it's good that you're trying, that's all you can do.  I'm not sure if it's the estradiol/suprafect combo, but I've been getting big bouts of anxiety and weepiness.  LOL.  I'm trying to take long walks outside, and stay off of social media.  And of course, binge watching The Office on Netflix always helps :)  

My ultrasound isn't until June 15, so I have a while left to wait.  Going to really try to eat healthy and move my body lots between now and then, so I can go into it feeling good.

Question for you all - so I have 2x frozen embryos.  One is AB grade, and one is BC grade.  And they're 'day 6' embryos (so not as good as 'day 5' embryos).  I need to decide whether to transfer 1 or 2.  While I know the safest bet - in terms of risks, safe possible pregnancy, etc., is to transfer 1.   But, I'm tempted to transfer 2 because it gives me a higher change of pregnancy.  (Doctor said she supports either decision).

My big hangup is, if we choose to transfer 2 and it causes twins, and then I have any complications in pregnancy etc. inherent with twins, I would feel responsible.  Ugh.  Has anyone encountered this?  What would you do?  (I hope this is an appropriate question, I know it's a very personal one, so please ignore it if you don't want to answer :) 

#47 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3241 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 03:45 PM

Hi Everyone!  

BCMom - it's so hard to stay positive sometimes.  But it's good that you're trying, that's all you can do.  I'm not sure if it's the estradiol/suprafect combo, but I've been getting big bouts of anxiety and weepiness.  LOL.  I'm trying to take long walks outside, and stay off of social media.  And of course, binge watching The Office on Netflix always helps smile.png

My ultrasound isn't until June 15, so I have a while left to wait.  Going to really try to eat healthy and move my body lots between now and then, so I can go into it feeling good.

Question for you all - so I have 2x frozen embryos.  One is AB grade, and one is BC grade.  And they're 'day 6' embryos (so not as good as 'day 5' embryos).  I need to decide whether to transfer 1 or 2.  While I know the safest bet - in terms of risks, safe possible pregnancy, etc., is to transfer 1.   But, I'm tempted to transfer 2 because it gives me a higher change of pregnancy.  (Doctor said she supports either decision).

My big hangup is, if we choose to transfer 2 and it causes twins, and then I have any complications in pregnancy etc. inherent with twins, I would feel responsible.  Ugh.  Has anyone encountered this?  What would you do?  (I hope this is an appropriate question, I know it's a very personal one, so please ignore it if you don't want to answer smile.png

At my clinic the success is the same with day 5 and day 6 embryos in terms of pregnancy rates. I know my RE would not transfer two due to the risks you outline, and then also if something does go wrong with one, you are risking the other as well. I have two 6-day embryos left. My DS is was a 6-day embryo. I will only transfer one at a time. I know you are at the end of the road, but as with any marathon you should keep the same pace at the end. People who try to speed up as they see the finish line most often collapse. Maybe too severe an analogy?

#48 StephSherwood

StephSherwood
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:03 PM

Hi Everyone!  

BCMom - it's so hard to stay positive sometimes.  But it's good that you're trying, that's all you can do.  I'm not sure if it's the estradiol/suprafect combo, but I've been getting big bouts of anxiety and weepiness.  LOL.  I'm trying to take long walks outside, and stay off of social media.  And of course, binge watching The Office on Netflix always helps smile.png

My big hangup is, if we choose to transfer 2 and it causes twins, and then I have any complications in pregnancy etc. inherent with twins, I would feel responsible.  Ugh.  Has anyone encountered this?  What would you do?  (I hope this is an appropriate question, I know it's a very personal one, so please ignore it if you don't want to answer smile.png

At my clinic the success is the same with day 5 and day 6 embryos in terms of pregnancy rates. I know my RE would not transfer two due to the risks you outline, and then also if something does go wrong with one, you are risking the other as well. I have two 6-day embryos left. My DS is was a 6-day embryo. I will only transfer one at a time. I know you are at the end of the road, but as with any marathon you should keep the same pace at the end. People who try to speed up as they see the finish line most often collapse. Maybe too severe an analogy?

Thank you @returnable, that is super helpful, and I really like your marathon analogy.  Slow and steady.  And that's great to know about the 'day 5' versus 'day 6' thing ... That gives me some extra hope :)  Thank you!

#49 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:45 PM

StephSherwood - I'm thread crashing to suggest only one embryo as well. If covid is going to be around in 9 months you're not gonna want to be a high risk pregnancy. Twin mamas often end up in the hospital once a week for ultrasounds toward the end of the pregnancy. They're kicking birth partners out 2 hours after you give birth in many hospitals, with no exception for cesareans. In general it is a drag to be medicalized over the whole pregnancy after being medicalized for the conception. Transferring two at a time also lowers the chance of each individual embryo resulting in a take home baby because it is a bit harder on the embryo/fetus to share a uterus

• returnable likes this

#50 StephSherwood

StephSherwood
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:37 AM

StephSherwood - I'm thread crashing to suggest only one embryo as well. If covid is going to be around in 9 months you're not gonna want to be a high risk pregnancy. Twin mamas often end up in the hospital once a week for ultrasounds toward the end of the pregnancy. They're kicking birth partners out 2 hours after you give birth in many hospitals, with no exception for cesareans. In general it is a drag to be medicalized over the whole pregnancy after being medicalized for the conception. Transferring two at a time also lowers the chance of each individual embryo resulting in a take home baby because it is a bit harder on the embryo/fetus to share a uterus

Thanks so much Cotton, this is really helpful.  I hadn't considered the Covid angle, but you're right - I want to avoid any extra challenges or need to be visiting hospitals.  This is very good insight, thank you.