16 replies to this topic

#1 bibz

bibz
  • Just Hatched
  • 10 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:02 PM

Hi ladies,

I am new to this forum; I found it today as I was looking for a group of women who are going through the same problem as I am. I am 37 years old and will be 38 in a couple of weeks. I live in the US, though most of the participants are based in Canada I hope we can still journey together. There has been a lot of uncertainty especially with states banning elective procedures due to COVID 19, but now (thankfully) our state has lifted the ban and I am back on track trying to TTC. 

A bit of a back story: My hubby had a vasectomy many years ago and since we got married last year he had it reversed. We hoped to conceive naturally after the reversal (which was successful) but as we had been trying for almost a year and his count wasn't that great, my doctor suggested ART given my age. So, we started with a saline ultrasound to check if my uterus is good etc. The ultrasound revealed I had fibroids early this year. I had surgery to remove the fibroids in March and while I was healing everything was shut down. Now that the clinic is open again, we have decided to pursue IVF and skip IUI altogether just because of time. I start BCP tomorrow (5/10), day 2 of my cycle. I will be on BCP for three weeks and then on to the injections and if all goes well the egg retrieval some time in June. 

I am here to find others in a similar position, support one another and to hear other people's experiences. I am very nervous about all the things that could go wrong in the process (always a reminder that conceiving is a game of chance- I am a biologist), but also excited by the possibility that I may succeed in having a baby. 

I would like like to hear what others avoided doing, eating or drinking right from the beginning of their treatment. 

Good luck to all of us ladies! 

• 85-25-19 likes this

#2 LLLMD

LLLMD
  • 24 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:RFP

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:21 PM

Hi there and welcome.

I am going to start an IVF cycle in June, as long as the clinic stays open. It will be my second IVF as we are batching and testing and then freezing for another year or two.

I can't relate to some parts of your infertility journey, but I can relate to the problems TTC. I am starting my OCP tomorrow, so we are nearly on the same "schedule" of sorts.

Crossing my fingers that the clinics stay open all of May and June!

best,

LLLMD

#3 bibz

bibz
  • Just Hatched
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for sharing. If it is not too intrusive, do you mind sharing your first IVF experience? Sounds like we are on the same schedule of some sorts indeed! 

Are you doing anything in particular during the OCP phase? altering your lifestyle in anyway? 

#4 LLLMD

LLLMD
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for sharing. If it is not too intrusive, do you mind sharing your first IVF experience? Sounds like we are on the same schedule of some sorts indeed! 

Are you doing anything in particular during the OCP phase? altering your lifestyle in anyway? 

I am taking folic acid 1mg and vitamin D 2000IU daily during the OCP phase. Religiously.

No alcohol or other substances. :)

Going to work (I am in healthcare) and practising physical distancing, ++++handwashing, and sending husband out to do errands with mask. As soon as I come home, I strip my clothes and throw into warm wash, then take a "decontamination" shower.

My husband is doing lots for his part, too. No alcohol or substances. Taking a bunch of supplements to support good sperm health.

I am not great with my diet, i'll admit.  I gained weight during the first IVF injection cycle in March which was also when COVID restrictions hit and I was lucky to have my egg retrieval done just before elective procedures had to shut down. I felt like sh*t on the hormones. I only wanted to eat pasta. I took time off work because of mood irritability, fatigue, and overall feeling not myself. 

I read lots of blog and forum posts and seems like some women have it easy, no problems from hormones. I have never been able to tolerate taking the pill because of mood changes and suicidal thoughts :(

Our final outcome was 5 high quality embryos via IVF with ICSI. We hope for similar yield this time.

If you want to see my "play by play" from last cycle ,I posted semi-regularly on the March IVF thread in this forum.

How are you doing? Anything you're doing to support your health and fertility health? Do you have dates for your cycle yet and do you know what protocol they're using for your cycle?

Looking forward to being cycle buddies biggrin.png  

#5 bibz

bibz
  • Just Hatched
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:29 AM

So great to hear what you are doing! 

I don't know the precise protocol yet that I will placed on but I am seeing my RE tomorrow (Thursday) to go over that. I started BCP (day 3 today) and when I last spoke with him, this will go on for about 3 weeks before we start stims- will  write more about this tomorrow. I have not had problems with BCP in the past hope it remains that way. 

I am also taking folic acid and no other supplements not sure if he will prescribe anything more. No alcohol (I miss my wine already :) ). Hubby is also no alcohol but will confirm with doc as he might be allowed to have a glass on occasion. I am eating as I have always done (fairly healthy)- 3 home cooked meals a day, fruits and veggies always included. No drastic dietary change. 

We are mostly staying indoors as much as we can. I work in higher ed and our semester is over now so, I am able to be home throughout which I hope will help especially during the injections phase. 

Glad you had success with your embryo outcome the last time.  My biggest worry is that my uterus may not allow implantation because of my history of fibroids. The RE doesn't seem to think so, but then again even the docs don't know everything :( 

Hoping for the best. More tomorrow. 

#6 Misskika007

Misskika007
  • 95 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:22 AM

Hi Bibz, Good luck with your cycle. I know the first bit can be very daunting, just take everything in stride. The journey can be up and down, but important to stay positive. I am just about to begin my 3rd egg retrieval and have not yet had success yet. I started on some new supplements to improve egg quality since that is my primary concern. I highly recommend working with a naturopath in combination with fertility treatment as there are things that can be tailored to your individual situation. But on that note, Vitamin D is good in general and strongly linked to successful implantation, so it wouldn't hurt to take some! (I take 2000 iu Vitamin D3 drops, it absorbs better in to the body if it is oil based) I also take an Omega 3 supplement, and some others but the other supplements are more specific to my individual health needs. I also did acupuncture before two frozen transfers as it is supposed to help with implantation. I unfortunately miscarried, but it did show that the acupuncture did work with implantation!

Hi LLLMD, nice to hear from you again and that you are back in the retrieval game, and CONGRATS on such a super great outcome for your first retrieval! I have been cleared to begin IVF again beginning with my next cycle day 1, which should be some time next week. The doc is modifying the protocol a bit to avoid a lot of in-house monitoring so waiting to get the details sometime this week. How is your clinic approaching the opening? Mine is doing a phase in, so only women with low AMH are going in for IVF or egg retrievals and only 10 patients allowed in the clinic at a time, we will all have to wear masks. On the bright side, most of the ultrasounds are actually going to be done by the doc and my doc will definitely be with me for egg retrieval. Seems like a lot more personalized care, something I am very thankful for! Wishing you great success with this cycle!

Me: 35, Hub: 36

TTC 3.5 years

Beginning 3rd IVF cycle- hopefully 3rd time's a charm! heart.gif

#7 bibz

bibz
  • Just Hatched
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:05 AM

Misskika,

I am sorry to hear that you were not successful. Take heart wishing you the best for this round :) 

I am seeing the doc today and will ask about any other additional supplements other than the folic acid I am taking at the moment. 

Good luck and keep us updated. 

#8 bibz

bibz
  • Just Hatched
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 11:13 AM

Ok ladies, here is my update after seeing my RE yesterday- I have a little bit of a clearer picture of my protocol. In 5 days, I will start on Leuprolide and he has also upped my BCP to two a day (both with the goal of suppressing the production of the hormones responsible for egg maturation and ovulation). After that, I will have another week of BCP and leuprolide and then start the active part of treatment. The hormones (drugs) I will be on are Omnitrope (to increase egg production, it's basically a growth hormone), Menopur (to increase hormones responsible for egg maturation and ovulation), and Progesterone solution in oil (to prep the uterus for pregnancy). He told me not all REs give Omnitrope but he recommends it any based on a study done in France showing it helped. It turns out lots of IVF research comes from Europe because many women there undergo IVF as it's covered by their national health insurance (lucky them!). 

As of right now if all goes well (all fingers crossed, all prayers in) we should be retrieving at around the second week of June. 

No supplements, just folic acid that's all he recommended. 

I still have to do a few other lab tests unrelated to reproductive health including COVID which adds to the whole burden and anxiety. Also, I am terrified about injections especially doing my own injections :( 

That's it ladies. Good luck to us all! 

#9 LLLMD

LLLMD
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 11:40 PM

Hi All!

Bibz: Glad to hear that you've got your protocol in hand. I am not familiar with leuprolide or omnitrope, but then again there are so many varied drugs and protocols and reproductive medicine is quite complex so we have to trust somewhat in the experts.

Sounds like you've got lots of good habits in place and very hopeful for you that things go as best as they possibly can. I am crossing my fingers that your COVID test comes back negative. Any idea if it is the usual test (for the virus) or the antibody test, or both?

MissKika, hello again! Nice to "see" a famliar face.Sorry that we have to meet under such circumstances, of course. I am hoping and praying this is third time lucky for you.

In terms of my upcoming cycle, no changes to the protocol: will do Rekovelle 12 and menopur 150, cetrotide suppresion and hcg trigger. Our doctor was happy with the yield and quality, and recognized that with the last IVF cycle my estrogen didn't increase as high as hoped or expected and that it is probably a function of my age (40).

I am not sure exactly how the clinic is prioritizing patients but they did say they are doing just a few cycle starts, prioritizing those who were to do IVF but had it cancelled because of COVID. That was not our case, so I suspect that being old *haha* that we are prioritized for that.

The clinic has asked us not to bring anyone with us to clinic unless required. Everyone has to wear a mask, or can buy a reuseable one for a couple bucks. They will screen us for symptoms. They will refund us if the government shuts down the clinic.

I can't remember my exact dates, I think I have my baseline ultrasound on May 29 and tentative earliest day for starting injections is june 4. I am taking the time off for injections and retrieval--because I have vacation I have to use before end of June, so might as well. I am very lucky that my husband is a student nurse and will do my injections for me. I can't do them in spite of my own expertise!!!

Have a great long weekend everyone. Stay safe and healthy.

LLLMD :)

#10 bibz

bibz
  • Just Hatched
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:07 PM

Hi ladies, 

I went in for my first leuprolide  (think it's the same as lupron) shot today and I will be on it for the next 3 or so weeks. My active treatment doesn't start until the 30th. I am praying and hoping for the best. 

Our clinic also is requiring masks for all patients. Hopefully that's helping minimize the spread and exposure of and to COVID. 

LLMD: when are you anticipating your transfer to be?

Misskika: Wishing you success this time round. How are things going? 

It all seems so daunting....

Ciao. 

#11 Misskika007

Misskika007
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:11 PM

Hi ladies!

Bibz- how did your COVID test turn out? Ah, if leuprolide is Lupron, I will be on on that as well! I've been on it before for endometriosis and the cycle when I got more eggs. It gave me real fun hot flashes! How are you feeling on it?

LLLMD- so nice to have a student nurse husband who can help with injections! Hope your baseline ultrasound goes smoothly.

I just got my period and protocol, and its a very new one for me. Very excited! Tomorrow I begin pre-treatment prep with estrogen & testosterone. After a week, I add in prometrium suppositories and stay on those for a total of 15 days. Then a week break for period and then stim meds will begin. Doc has me on Gonal F, Menopur and Lupron with an immunosuppressant and thryoid med (not sure why the thyroid med as my labs don't indicate i have a problem with it!) Egg retrieval is set for June 24 and we will do PGS testing this time to get more info about embryo quality. Clinic has significantly reduced the amount of clinic visits for monitoring during cycle, only need to go in beginning Day 6 of stims, so no baseline. I actually feel pretty at peace with this cycle since there is very little outside pressure to "do things" on my end, so can really just take care of myself through this process. My acupuncturist also is opening up so will begin treatments on Monday.

Here we go ladies! Good vibes for this cycle!

Me: 35, Hub: 36

TTC 3.5 years

Beginning 3rd IVF cycle- hopefully 3rd time's a charm! heart.gif

#12 85-25-19

85-25-19
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:06 PM

Hi Bibz!

Our situations are similar! This is my first post, I just joined the forum today! It is great knowing there are others going through the same thing you are.

My husband also had a vasectomy about 17 years ago (he is 10 years older than me and I am his 2nd wife - he has a son with his previous wife that is 18 years old).  We opted to not do the reversal because of the time frame from reversal until now and sought fertility help thinking the vasectomy was the only concern. Turns out I have DOR (I am 36) and my eggs are really bad.  I also don't produce enough hormones to sustain a pregnancy should it ever have happened naturally. 

We underwent a retrieval in February of this year that resulted in 7 eggs, 5 fertilized, only 1 was frozen as a poor quality early blast. We underwent another retrieval cycle in March of this year and ended up with 4 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized. Both were great embryos though - 4AA and 5AA and tested PGS normal. I just transferred 1 yesterday and have all my fingers and toes crossed that it takes.  We do have 1 more frozen, but that will be it for us. It has been a really up and down time in life and it has taken a toll on my body.

Good luck with your cycle! Try and remain positive. 

#13 85-25-19

85-25-19
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:08 PM

Misskika007 - did you ever try Coenzyme Q10? My dr said it helps remove toxins from the body and can lead to better egg quality.

#14 bibz

bibz
  • Just Hatched
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:55 PM

85-25-19: Welcome! Omg, your story is almost like mine re: hubby. Mine also has children from a pervious marriage- we are years apart in age :) . We are hoping for the best though! My RE did not check my egg reserve prior to starting IVF protocol. He thinks that while I may not have very many eggs because of age,  I should still be alright as my ovulation has always been consistent. I am sorry to hear this is your second round but wishing you the very best on the transfer of the healthy embryo and hopefully you will report back on good news that will keep our spirits up soon. Question for you: how did you go about deciding whether to transfer 1 or 2 embryos? I am not at that stage yet but it seems it can be quite a dilemma given all the concerns associated with a twin or triplet pregnancy but at the same time trying to maximize the chances of a successful implantation?  

Misskika007: I am now giving myself leuprolide shots which isn't as bad as I had anticipated. It has only been 2 days though... but combined with birth control pills (which I am stopping on Sunday, thankfully!) I feel dizzy, tired and sometimes have a mild headache similar to what I usually get if I have been working on a computer for extended hours.  More shots to start end of next week. I haven't had the Covid test yet as they say it is only valid for 10 days prior to retrieval. Tentatively, if all goes according to plan retrieval should be happening around the 9th give or take a day. I wish you the best. It's great that you are at peace with this process. I have been struggling a little bit by my husband has been so encouraging in trying to get me to focus on succeeding instead of wallowing on all the things that could go wrong. 

LLLMD: How are things going for you? 

Sending hearts your way- all of you. We are in this together. 

#15 LLLMD

LLLMD
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:11 PM

Hi everyone!

Sorry, I have been so busy with work that I have not been able to check the board. That will change when I take time off for the injection cycle.

Good to hear about everyone's status and progress with treatments. Welcome 85-25-19 to our little group :)

Our plan for transfer is to delay at least one or two years. It will mean I am a lot older (42 or 43) but I am transitioning to independent practise in July and need to start working to pay the bills. That is not to say I am not working now...but I am a resident and protected with salary and vacation/sick days and health coverage; all that changes on July 1. Not working=no income. Since husband is not graduating until 2021 June (as long as he can get back to do his final clinical rotations that are on hold due to the 'rona), we need to have one breadwinner.

I'll try to be more on top of things! Keep well, stay healthy. Praying your treatments continue to go well.

LLLMD

#16 bibz

bibz
  • Just Hatched
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 11:21 AM

Best of luck LLLMD. I hope the delay in transfer won't affect things too much for you. 

I had my baseline ultrasound today. The uterus and ovaries look as expected so far. I start Menopur and Omnitrope today (in addition to Leuprolide that I am already taking) and this will go on likely for 9 days give or take. 

My Covid test was negative, yay! 

I am praying for all of you girls.         

• LLLMD likes this

#17 LLLMD

LLLMD
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:29 PM

Best of luck LLLMD. I hope the delay in transfer won't affect things too much for you. 

I had my baseline ultrasound today. The uterus and ovaries look as expected so far. I start Menopur and Omnitrope today (in addition to Leuprolide that I am already taking) and this will go on likely for 9 days give or take. 

My Covid test was negative, yay! 

I am praying for all of you girls.         

I also got a negative COVID test last week. Yay!

My baseline U/S was good yesterday, I start my injections on June 4 (Rekovelle and Menopur).

I also hope delay doesn't affect anything...but there is nothing I can do about it...need to work! :)

Have a great weekend all!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IVF