5 replies to this topic

#1 Ania

Ania
  • 40 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 17 April 2020 - 10:36 AM

Hello,

I hope that everyone is safe and healthy during these strange times.

I am 37; and I am single with a LOW AMH.  I am looking to freeze my eggs, and the doc expects me to retrieve under five eggs.  Do you think it is still worth pursuing this?

I am not in a situation where I can freeze numerous times.  

Do you think I could retrieve more eggs based on your experiences with a LOW AMH?

Any advice for me?

Thanks!

#2 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 325 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 17 April 2020 - 08:06 PM

It depends on alot of factors. (Isn't that so helpful???!!!)

If your cycle is a bust, can you totally not afford an egg donation cycle? Are you willing to consider other paths to parenthood?

How is your health in general? Is there any chance you're looking at a surrogate pregnancy too?

How badly do you want your child to be genetically related?

Are you willing to try a few IUIs first?

Factoids you may not already know:

Low AMH means more meds which means more $$$ (unless you do a natural or low stim cycle, something to look into)

Embryos freeze better than eggs, but that means committing to the male component now. I have heard of people defrosting a whole batch of eggs from their mid 30s and none of them making it.

I have to warn you all IVF cycles seem to be put on hold so the wait lists will only be stretching out during this time.

I had a low AMH but good AFC and overall had a good outcome, but I had a naturally conceived baby from before IVF with the same partner, so alot of other fertility issues were ruled out. In my case the eggs retrieved was closer to the AFC than what the AMH would have predicted, but they did give me a stiffer dose of meds.

If you're in Ontario it might be worth doing at least a single cycle for the peace of mind. You're still going to be out probably $10k even with a funded cycle, mostly due to med costs.

#3 SynchroGirl

SynchroGirl
  • Global 100+
  • 176 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:MFC

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:55 AM

Hi Ania, I did an egg freezing at 37 with a low AMH. I only managed to get 4 eggs and my doctor at the time said that was probably the best I could do so I proceeded. When I finally went to use that batch, it resulted in one embryo that made it to blast but it tested PGS abnormal. I then had to start the process again at 39. I did a lot of research and requested a prescription for DHEA which I took for 5 months while I was doing IVF. Also took ubiquinol and a bunch of other recommendations from the book It starts with the egg. My best cycle I got 18 eggs and 4 embryos, 2 PGS normal. Looking back, that $9k I spent for 4 eggs was just not worth it. Especially if your cycle is delayed with COVID I recommend looking into options to increase your egg count before you spend the money. I also agree with Cotton that embryos freeze best but i was in the same boat as you and wanted to keep my options open :) best of luck to you!

Me: 40 DH: 52

Dx: Mild Endo, Immune Related Issues, Unexplained

TTC #1 since 2003... 3 years ending in heartbreaking divorce...

Lap #1 in 2005 (mild endo), Lap #2 in 2013 (confirmed no regrowth)

6 IUIs 2013-2014 @ RCC

IVF #1 (March 2018) - 4 eggs retrieved, 1 blast - 3BC (not tested), fresh transfer, BFN

Changed clinics - now @ MFC / Dr Virro - referred for immune testing, Dr wants to first get 2-3 PGS normal embryos before doing immune testing

May 2018-May 2019: 6 more IVF cycles.. 12 embryos, 3 PGS normal (5AB, 3AB, 4BC), 1 mosaic (4BB), 1 too small to test (3BC), 7 abnormal

Immune testing revealed low leukocyte antibodies (1%)

May-June 2019: LIT #1 (x2 treatments) with DH - minor improvement

July-Sept 2019: LIT #2 with donor (x3 treatments) - again minor improvement

Oct-Nov 2019: LIT #3 with new donor (x2 treatments) - not going to wait for the results, proceeding with transfer in December 2019

Dec 20, 2019 - first ever BFP!

#4 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • 24 posts
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:16 AM

Hi, you might consider doing acupuncture or mesotherapy treatment to ovaries (PRP) that might improve your ovarian reserve x

#5 Ania

Ania
  • 40 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:48 AM

Thank you to everyone who replied to my topic.  I will be proceeding with egg freezing hopefully in July or August.  I do want a biological child; and since I am single, I don't have the opportunity to freeze embryos.  I am in B.C., so there is no government funding here.  My doctor is not that optimistic since my AMH is so low, but he said they would be using a high dose of drugs.  I believe that I will be using lupron and Gonal 450.  The cost will be closer to 13k a cycle.   I am now considering more than one round (which is stressful). I did ask my doc about DHEA, but he said that studies do not confirm it's effectiveness. The doc believes that I will retrieve under five eggs.  I guess, at this point, I don't want to regret that I didn't try.

#6 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • 24 posts
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:55 AM

Good luck x

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: egg freezing, low amh, single