ERA testing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Emon1008

Emon1008
  • 23 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 06 March 2020 - 06:07 PM

I was wondering if anyone has gone through the ERA lining biopsy? If yes did you think it was worth it? Was it very painful? All feedback is welcome. Thanks!

#2 beancat

beancat
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Repomed

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:00 AM

Hi Emmon1008,

I did an ERA and found it was helpful. I discovered that I needed 4.5 days of progesterone and with the adjustment was able to get BFP twice (though unfortunately had a chemical and a blighted ovum) but it at least assured me that I could in fact get pregnant.
The test was a bit uncomfortable but no worse than the usual stuff we have to do. I did the test twice, to confirm the result. It took a few weeks to get results each time. My doctor at the time told me that there were going to be changes to how the ERA will be done in the future (mine was done a few years ago, so maybe things have already changed) so that the collection of tissue would be less painful.
I hope this helps and I wish you good luck!

#3 Emon1008

Emon1008
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 02:55 PM

Beancat: thank you so much for your response. Im glad to hear you were able to get 2 bfp with the changes, although Im sorry to hear of your chemical and blighted ovum.

Ive only had 1 failed frozen transfer, however, I only have 1 PGS normal embryo left and it took 4 retrievals to get 2 normals. My RE is leaving it up to me but did mention the ERA testing. My biggest concern is cost and pain but like you said, I guess weve been through a lot of pain already. Im leaning towards the test so that way I can know for sure Ive done everything possible for this last embryo.

#4 amazing grace

amazing grace
  • Global 100+
  • 738 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 08 March 2020 - 12:54 PM

I did the ERA test, it was recommended that I do six days of progesterone. Not too long after, the majority of clinics changed their protocol to six days, so basically a waste of money considering after a month, that new recommendation came into effect. The test I found was expensive, $1100, because they had to send it out. I didn't think it was too painful, I have had endometrial biopsies with every cycle so I was used to the pain (cramping). Too be honest, it made no difference for me, after the six days recommendation, I was still unsuccessful. 1 termination, 5 negative fet's, 1 miscarriage, and 1 ectopic. I have basically given up trying since there is no logical explanation why cycles fail other than the usual explanation-inadequate hormones, non- receptive uterus, bad egg, bad sperm, stress on and on but nothing that truly explains only Me and why my cycles are failures. I guess it just appears that "magic egg" just doesn't exist. Good luck to you though!

#5 Emon1008

Emon1008
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 09:06 PM

Amazing grace: thank you for taking the time to respond. I am so sorry to hear of your struggles. ❤ Infertility is the hardest thing to go through.

Im not sure I will ever be able to conceive. Ive been through 3 IUIs, 4 egg retrievals, 2 failed embryo transfers, and 1 failed FET with a PGS normal embryo. My husband and I took a break from treatment and ended up conceiving on our own in September. Unfortunately I miscarried at 8 weeks. I only have 1 embryo left which is why I am considering doing the ERA. If I am going to decide to stop trying to have a baby, I want to know that I did everything in my power to make it happen. The money side of the test absolutely stinks but my RE said that the test could give us some insight as to why the transfers are not working.

#6 amazing grace

amazing grace
  • Global 100+
  • 738 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 09 March 2020 - 06:24 PM

Oh EMon, I am so sorry to hear about your struggles too!  What a hard road for all those struggling to be on. Please do the test, it will ease your mind and in your heart you will know that you did everything and left no stone un-turned. Please keep me posted.

#7 Emon1008

Emon1008
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 07:23 PM

Amazing grace- thank you for your kind words. I am taking this month off to give myself a break from meds. Planning on doing the ERA in April. I will keep you posted. Take care of yourself❤️