Ohss

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Nicky123

Nicky123
  • 86 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:59 PM

Anyone have any tips for ohss? We retrieved 24 eggs and I’ve come down with ohss. It hurts like hell to take a deep breath and I’m super bloated. Clinic ordered bloodwork and put me on Gatorade and high protein and told me to monitor things. Any chance for a fresh transfer or should I prepare myself now that it’ll be frozen 

#2 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:26 PM

I'm sorry you're having OHSS. I would let the fresh transfer go. High estrogen makes it harder for the placenta to form properly, it can cause problems later in the pregnancy (low birth weight, preeclampsia), and if you get a BFP the HCG from the pregnancy will prolong the OHSS. On the bright side, OHSS predicts a positive outcome, means you had many good follicles that responded well to drugs. My estrogen was a bit high (11,000 if I remember correctly) and I thought they overstimmed me a bit, even went in to get checked out and they said I didn't have OHSS, but I decided to do a freeze all because I didn't feel very good overall. Got a BFP from my first FET.

#3 Nicky123

Nicky123
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:27 PM

Chatted with my Re this afternoon (I’m feeling a bunch better) and we decided to wait and see. My transfer isnt booked for another couple days and she said assuming I’m improving we will do an ultrasound before transfer and if my ovaries look ok go ahead with the transfer. I told her I only want to do it if it’s safe

#4 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 323 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 08:58 AM

I hope everything works out for you and you get lots of embryos. Do you know what your estrogen was on retrieval day? I'm posting some studies because nobody in my clinic told me about this except for a random nurse while I was gowned up for my retrieval. BTW it is possible to be mostly over your OHSS and have it come back if you get pregnant and be pretty sick a significant portion of your 1st trimester.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3178887/

https://www.scienced...30225131624.htm

https://academic.oup.../7/1410/3823633

#5 Nicky123

Nicky123
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:03 AM

I’m not sure what it was. I know it was 7000 on the Friday and my retrieval was the Monday. The seem to think it’s bloating form the retrieval not ohss 

#6 Nicky123

Nicky123
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:04 AM

The only symptom I had was the pain when taking a deep breath which they think is gas

#7 Nicky123

Nicky123
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:08 AM

my estrogen 7000 day before trigger. Looking at the studies they were looking  at people who had a peak e2 of over 16000 on day of trigger so I should be under that I’m thinking 

#8 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 323 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:28 PM

Ok I just wanted to let you know because I felt like my clinic didn't inform me. I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

I think I goofed, its the estrogen before you trigger, as you said. My estrogen was high but not sky high from what I remember and they were ok with me transferring. I didn't want to because I felt like a wet cat at that point and couldn't bear any more medical-y stuff.

I felt like someone hit me in the stomach with a 2x4 for a couple days. I went in for an ultrasound to be checked out, because I really didn't want to end up in the ER at 10pm with an ER doc with no experience with OHSS, but they said I didn't have enough fluid for it to be OHSS. I got better the day I went in. lol

I think alot of people are "over stimmed" a little just because they give you so many drugs and you mature way more eggs than normal all at once. The only alternative would be a low drug regimen, but then you're getting way fewer embryos. So there's really no way to win. I guess as long as you get a couple embryos and don't end up in the hospital you "won".

#9 Nicky123

Nicky123
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I’m def fine with a freeze all if the re suggests it, my plan is ultrasound and if there are signs of ohss then delay 

#10 Misskika007

Misskika007
  • 95 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:56 PM

Hey Nicky, I had OHSS and had to freeze all. Not the end of the world, make sure your body isnt too stressed to transfer! Did they give you any meds? I was put on letrozole & dostinex to help the estrogen pass through quickly. It made me feel better within a couple days. Sending you lots of positive vibes!

Me: 35, Hub: 36

TTC 3.5 years

Beginning 3rd IVF cycle- hopefully 3rd time's a charm! heart.gif

#11 Nicky123

Nicky123
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 04:46 AM

Thanks for the tip. I’ve been up all night with bloating and pain again so who knows. I’m really leaning towards freeze all. Just not sure if it’s gas or fluid so I’ll wait for the ultrasound 

#12 prarie_faerie

prarie_faerie
  • 78 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Aurora Fertility

Posted 01 March 2020 - 11:13 PM

Hey Nicky! 

Really sorry to hear about you having to experience the discomfort of OHSS. I had 21 eggs taken during my retrieval and developed ohs afterwards and remember well the painful feeling of trying to take in a deep breath. sounds like you're doing a good job of taking care of yourself with rest, gatoraid and good diet. I was told by my doctor that my hormone levels would be monitored via bloodwork and that we would review about doing a fresh transfer. Unfortunately even though my hormone levels looked alright and i was progressively doing better, the doctor was quite cautious (i felt) and all were frozen. It was helpful for me to know that success rates of frozen transfers are as high as fresh and from what I've heard from others getting pregnant while experiencing ohss symptoms - it can make for a very difficult first trimester of pregnancy, so likely its a safer bet to avoid fresh transfer with ohss

regardless, i was still so disappointed at not getting to go ahead with a transfer after looking so forward to it and all the build up throughout the ivf process, so i understand why you would be anxious to find out but i would prepare yourself for the good possibility that all may be frozen. wishing you so much positivity, strength and for a successful transfer! and hope you are feeling better soon from ohss

Me: 27  DH: 27   Diagnosis: Unexplained

• Started TTC: Jan. 2017
  • First medicated IUI: July 2019= BFN
  • Second medicated IUI: August 2019 = BFN
  • IVF/ICSI: Dec 2019 = 4 conventional IVF blastocysts + 3 ICSI blastocysts,  frozen at 5 days. No fresh transfer due to OHSS
  • First FET: Jan. 2020 = BFP resulting in a pregnancy loss at 7 weeks

#13 Nicky123

Nicky123
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 03:13 AM

so I was able to do a fresh transfer as my labs were good and no fluid. Transferred a 5aa blast that was already starting to hatch. I left the decision to the re who said go ahead fx if it was ohss that it’s mild. 

#14 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 323 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:36 PM

Good luck Nicky. I creeped your IVF thread and saw you got alot of blasts. Congratulations on that and good luck!

#15 Nicky123

Nicky123
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:26 PM

Thanks I was thrilled. Another one made it to freeze today and of the blasts they froze all were aa or ab and I had 6x5aa which the embryologist said was the best quality so I ended up with 10 frozen and 1 transferred. We are over the moon excited

#16 Nicky123

Nicky123
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:27 PM

Just praying I did the right thing and transferred I told the re I was happy to wait and they assured we we were good. I’m feeling better the past few days and I (tmi) have been farting tons which has alleviated a lot of the pressure

#17 prarie_faerie

prarie_faerie
  • 78 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Aurora Fertility

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:39 PM

If your doctor is certain that a fresh transfer is safe then I am sure it will be just fine - they wouldnt do anything that would put you in danger. Really happy for you and hope it is successful!!

Me: 27  DH: 27   Diagnosis: Unexplained

• Started TTC: Jan. 2017
  • First medicated IUI: July 2019= BFN
  • Second medicated IUI: August 2019 = BFN
  • IVF/ICSI: Dec 2019 = 4 conventional IVF blastocysts + 3 ICSI blastocysts,  frozen at 5 days. No fresh transfer due to OHSS
  • First FET: Jan. 2020 = BFP resulting in a pregnancy loss at 7 weeks

#18 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:33 AM

You have great numbers Nicki. You could be an egg donor. I have spare blasts in the freezer myself but none of them are perfect grade. Actually I've heard perfect grades are fairly rare.

I'm the only one from my IVF thread month who is pregnant now. Alot of women get only 1 or 2 or 3 fair embryos per cycle so we are very lucky.

#19 Nicky123

Nicky123
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:41 AM

Wow thanks for the pep talk. I thought it sounded pretty good.  It could do with the fact that we aren’t doing IVF due to my infertility. Dh has zero sperm so we decided to use a donor and got pregnant super quick with iui (no meds) and now have dd. We only did IVF as her donor isn’t donating anymore and we only had a couple vials left so we didn’t want to take a chance. I don’t have any diagnosed fertility issues and my ovarian reserve was excellent so it’s kind of hard to compare to people who have diagnosed infertility issues. 

#20 Nicky123

Nicky123
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 10:46 PM

Thrilled I’m getting nice dark lines and a positive digital but I woke up today with that horrible feeling of not being able to breathe. I think it’s back. I’ll call the clinic to see what they can do in the morning