8 replies to this topic

#1 Morrison1227

Morrison1227
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Lakeridge Fertility

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:25 AM

Im looking for ladies that are going to be going through IVF with there SO and have make factor infertility. Were going through our first round of funded IVF in Ontario and Im looking for support in what to expect and how others felt and their lives now .

#2 CMRivf

CMRivf
  • Global 100+
  • 147 posts
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:29 AM

We went through IVF in November 2017 due to male factor infertility(low motility). It was hard at first but I did take comfort in knowing that we only had one issue to deal as everything was good with me. We ended up with 3 embryos and had our DD in November of 2018(her due date was actually the same day as our egg retrieval the year before, it definitely felt like everything had come full circle). We are gearing up now for a second transfer mid-March if everything goes well.

IVF #1:

November 2017 - 23 Follicles, 18 Fertilized, 3 made it to Day 5, FREEZE ALL due to OHSS

FET #1:

January 31, 2018 - Begin Suprefact Nasal Spray(5x/day), baby Aspirin & Folic Acid

March 2, 2018 - Lining Check -> 8.6mm, transfer scheduled for March 8, 2018

March 8, 2018 - Transferred 1 embryo. Continue Prometrium, Estrace, baby Aspirin & Folic Acid

March 16-19, 2018 - HPTs th_abfp.gif 

March 20, 2018 - Beta Test - 115 (according to nurse, they like to see 250-500) Continue with Prometrium, Estrace & Folic Acid. Stop baby Aspirin.

​March 22, 2018 - Beta Test #2 - 332 th_abfp.gif Tentative due date of November 24, 2018. 7 week U/S booked for April 9. Continue Prometrium & Estrace until April 28.

November 27, 2018 - Healthy baby girl born at 10:32am, weighing in at 8lbs 4oz and 22.5" tall.

FET #2:

March 17, 2020 - Canceled due to Covid.

FET #3:

June 15, 2020 - Canceled due to unknown bleeding/cramping at cervix.

FET #4:

PROTOCOL CHANGES: Will switch to estrogen patches as well as vaginal estrogen. During lining check will test progesterone to make sure I haven't ovulated. Requested a ultrasound the morning of the transfer to make sure everything looks okay.

Sept. 12, 2020 - Begin Suprefact injections, baby aspirin and prenatal/DHA.

#3 Morrison1227

Morrison1227
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:30 AM

Wow thats great to hear . So your first IVF was successful ?

#4 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:01 PM

If there are healthy sperm found, male factor infertility in general has a good prognosis. The "catch" is that they might find problems with you. If you are <35 and have good AMH and AFC you should have a good outcome.

We are another male factor success story. 20wks pregnancy now with spares in the freezer. We got sperm with a biopsy and used ICSI. DH has obstructive azoospermia due to an unknown cause; cystic fibrosis has been ruled out. We were very lucky and 100% of our mature eggs fertilized with testicular sperm while the average is more like 50%.

Do you know if they will be doing a biopsy?

#5 Morrison1227

Morrison1227
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:06 PM

Cotton - that part I do not know yet . We were referred to Trio Fertility for my SO to possibly have sperm extracted . Im wondering if we should have that done first and than that way we will have sperm when I go for egg retrieval

#6 cj123

cj123
  • Global 100+
  • 320 posts
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:42 PM

We did IVF and our only factor is male factor.  My husband is a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis so he has a sperm count of zero.  We extracted testicular sperm and used ICSI for our IVF.  we had 22 eggs, 10 fertilize and unfortunately had none by day five (we did transfer one that was a day behind but it didn't take).  Our case is quite unusual.  The doctors were shocked and called it a fluke.  We have since found success with donor embryos and are going to be transferring another embryo next week!  For the most part, this is not how people's IVF's go with male factor.  Usually things go quite well.  My brother in law and his wife had the same issue and were able to get pregnant easily with IVF and had many embryos in the freezer.  It's so hard to predict how things will turn out.  But I am hopeful for your IVF!  Good Luck!

Me - 31  Hubby - 31

Trying to conceive since 2012

2013- Husband diagnosed with Congenital Absence of Vas Deferens caused by being a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis

2013 - decided to adopt before pursuing fertility treatments

November 2015 - Our beautiful baby boy is born!  We got to be there for the birth!  He's ours!

May 2016 - Adoption Finalized!!!

After a cancelled IVF cycle and an IVF cycle that completely failed for unknown reasons (22 eggs, 10 fertilized, zero on day five), we have moved onto donor embryos! 

August 2017 - We received three beautiful embryos from an amazing donor family!  

FET #1- One beautiful hatching 5 day blast transferred Oct 11/17 - BFP!!! beta #1- 92 (9dp5dt) beta #2- 297 (13dp5dt)

beta #3- 700 (16dp5dt) beta #4- 3500 (20dp5dt)  

Ultrasound Nov 7 (6w4d) - One little bean, heartbeat of 125 bpm!  Due June 29, 2018

June 19, 2018 It's a Boy!! 7 lbs 2 oz of perfection!

FET #2 - One day 6 Blast transferred Feb 26/2020 - BFN 

One final chance with one final embryo hopefully soon!  Go away Covid-19!

#7 Morrison1227

Morrison1227
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:03 PM

Cj123- thank you and Im sending you positive vibes as well . Im nervous for the injections part as Im a tad scared of needles but will have my hubby do them for me. Im unsure if FET or fresh is better . Ill have to talk to the doctors about it

#8 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:32 PM

We had sperm on ice from a failed "vasectomy reversal" and they still did a fresh biopsy. If you don't know what they will find on the biopsy you might want to have donor sperm lined up in case they don't find anything. I read a blog where the couple was contacted by the clinic as they were driving away after the egg retrieval begging for permission to freeze the eggs because no healthy sperm were found (they were non-obstructive azoospermia, though, which has a worse prognosis). Embryos freeze better than eggs.

The stim injections are a walk in the park compared to the progesterone injections (!!). Don't worry about the injections, they are really not that bad, just don't let whoever trains you blow through the instructions at 100mph. Make sure you understand everything. The stim needles are very small and not going into a sensitive place, you hardly feel them. I did all of them myself except for the days I happened to be in the clinic. Ok I lied a little, you get a bee sting like reaction from the cetrotide, but that's the second half of stims and by then you are a pro.

A FET is better if you had high estrogen at the time of retrieval

Fresh is better if your embryo(s) are low quality

The rest of the time they are about equal.

I took two cycles off between retrieval and transfer because I needed a break and my estrogen was a bit high.

There is a chance you will be thrown a wild card, like cj123, described and often you will never find out if it was bad luck or some diagnosed infertility factor. I've been trolling these forums for a long time and have come to the conclusion you really don't know how an IVF cycle will go until there are no more embryos in the freezer.

#9 CMRivf

CMRivf
  • Global 100+
  • 147 posts
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:48 AM

Yes, our first IVF was successful. We did do a freeze all due to OHS. So we did IVF in November 2017 and FET in March 2018. We didn't do a biopsy, but did use ICSI. We currently have 2 frozen embryos left and are hoping for the best next month!

IVF #1:

November 2017 - 23 Follicles, 18 Fertilized, 3 made it to Day 5, FREEZE ALL due to OHSS

FET #1:

January 31, 2018 - Begin Suprefact Nasal Spray(5x/day), baby Aspirin & Folic Acid

March 2, 2018 - Lining Check -> 8.6mm, transfer scheduled for March 8, 2018

March 8, 2018 - Transferred 1 embryo. Continue Prometrium, Estrace, baby Aspirin & Folic Acid

March 16-19, 2018 - HPTs th_abfp.gif 

March 20, 2018 - Beta Test - 115 (according to nurse, they like to see 250-500) Continue with Prometrium, Estrace & Folic Acid. Stop baby Aspirin.

​March 22, 2018 - Beta Test #2 - 332 th_abfp.gif Tentative due date of November 24, 2018. 7 week U/S booked for April 9. Continue Prometrium & Estrace until April 28.

November 27, 2018 - Healthy baby girl born at 10:32am, weighing in at 8lbs 4oz and 22.5" tall.

FET #2:

March 17, 2020 - Canceled due to Covid.

FET #3:

June 15, 2020 - Canceled due to unknown bleeding/cramping at cervix.

FET #4:

PROTOCOL CHANGES: Will switch to estrogen patches as well as vaginal estrogen. During lining check will test progesterone to make sure I haven't ovulated. Requested a ultrasound the morning of the transfer to make sure everything looks okay.

Sept. 12, 2020 - Begin Suprefact injections, baby aspirin and prenatal/DHA.