IVF: One fertilized egg, split into two 2 cells on day 2 after ICSI. Has anyone had this happen? - Ask the RE - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

IVF: One fertilized egg, split into two 2 cells on day 2 after ICSI. Has anyone had this happen?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fancyanncy

Fancyanncy
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:04 PM

Hello, I am new to this forum but not new to IVF.  I had my 5th egg retrieval Thursday.  I almost cancelled or switched to IUI because I only had 3 to 4 follicles respond to the stims this cycle.  Only two eggs were retrieved, and of those only one fertilized.  Saturday I received a call that my one fertilized egg had cleaved into two 2 cell embryos.  I was cautiously excited about this, but looking for more information and coming up with next to nothing.  In fact, the only thing I have found describing this situation is this scientific journal article https://www.cambridg...4C1/core-reader which seems to suggest that it has never been observed in vitro, "However, we have never observed an embryo spontaneously splitting in half before the blastocyst stage in over 30 years of laboratory experience." (from the end of the abstract of the article above). Its hard for me to believe that this would be so rare, so I am wondering if anyone in this forum has seen this happen.  It doesn't give me much hope for the outcome of these embryos.  Today (Sunday), I was told that one embryo was a 3 cell and the other a 5 cell, which is usually a bad sign for day 3, but I am also wondering if maybe the split before day two makes the embryos a day behind... probably grasping at straws on that one.  

Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

#2 annatarz79

annatarz79
  • Global 100+
  • 243 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:31 AM

Twins ... It sounds really cool. Never heard of it either but wish you the best of luck and I would love to know more on this.