Cost of IVF services abroad - Introductions - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Cost of IVF services abroad

IVF Mexico usa fertility tourism over 40 infertile el paso border fertility ivf ICSI PGS test

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wannabechef

wannabechef
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Border Fertility

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:59 PM

Hello Ladies, 

I apologize if I am in the wrong forum, if so, my post may be deleted. I decided to post here since I am having trouble finding information on the topic elsewhere. I understand this forum is from Canada. I live in the US and I am currently trying to get pregnant via IVF. 

Due to my financial circumstances and because I my insurance no longer covers my treatment, I have decided in having the procedure done in the city on Cd Juarez in Mexico. The doctors have their office in El Paso, TX (USA) but the lab and the procedure is done in across the border and it has significantly lower prices than what is available here which, including the medications, is close to $US25,000 vs $7980 in the clinic where I'll be going.  

Please note the the financial part is not the reason of me choosing this clinic (Border Fertility), since my sister in law had success pregnancy at this place after several failed attempts in the US but I will not go into detail regarding the selection process. 

My question is this, I am 40 years old, and due to other risk factors, I am considering doing a PGS test. Are these test typically included in the treatment? Im asking since I am getting a total quote (lab and testing) of 

1     Embryo      $1400  
2-3  Embryo      $2800  
4-8  Embryo      $3700  

Thank you again for your advice and patience and hope there is anybody here that can help. 

#2 DorothyandToto

DorothyandToto
  • Global 100+
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:My furry children, movies, Pilates, travel, cooking
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:31 PM

I had PGS testing done here and Canada and it was not part of the standard cost. It was an “add on”. I’m 42 so we chose to add it on. My clinic charges around $4k CAD for up to 5 embryos. This includes the biopsy of the embryo and testing. With conversion that’s approximately $3k USD, so I’d say those prices seem in line. It’s nice they charge you less if you have a lower number as many clinics here just do a blanket cost for up to 5 (we only had 2 the first round and 1 the second round.)

Good luck.

#3 tsm37

tsm37
  • 47 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:36 PM

I live in NYC. I paid USD$8,000 to have 11 embryos PGD/PGS tested. Cash out of pocket. I'm the husband of my wife who's in the process of doing IVF. There are many things in life that I will bargain for a better price but there are some that I won't. My wife and I just need to have success in this whole process. 

Some doctors charge more and some charge less, but I learned that doctors charging more doesn't mean they're better (and vice versa, of course)

I also learned that it's important to know which lab will do the PGD/PGS testing. 

Good luck with everything.

#4 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:06 PM

I have noticed that with all the things involved in IVF, PGS has the least cost variability. I don't know if the equipment is expensive or the reagents are expensive or what, but it seems like they just can't get the price down any lower. The prices you quoted look reasonable to me. Just clarify that it includes the embryo biopsy fee. I haven't heard of PGS ever being included in the IVF package. Sometimes ICSI is, though.

Something to consider, if you are expecting more than 1-3 embryos because you have a higher antral follicle count, PGS testing may be cost effective because it can spare you from paying for FETs of embryos that were never viable. The older you are the more likely this is to be the case because more of your embryos will be abnormal.

#5 wannabechef

wannabechef
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Border Fertility

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

Thank you very much ladies. After the comments here I have confirmed that the prices do in fact included the embryo biopsy. I will, God willing, start my treatment within the next few months. Best of luck to all!! :)

• DorothyandToto likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IVF, Mexico, usa, fertility tourism, over 40, infertile, el paso, border fertility ivf, ICSI, PGS test