5 replies to this topic

#1 KJ15

KJ15
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:20 PM

Hi All,

I'm new here and it doesn't look like this board has been very active lately, but I'm hoping to get any input on experience with Dr. Brock. My husband and I have been TTC for over a year and were referred to Dr.H-C in August 2019. We were quickly referred to Dr.Brock, as my husband had bi-lateral orchiopexy surgery at age 11 or 12, 1st SA came back with 0 sperm, and Dr. H-C suspected azoospermia. At our follow up with Dr.Brock last week, he said our only route forward would be a biopsy, but the overall our likelihood of conceiving children that are biologically both of ours is only 1-5%. It felt that he was very much pushing us to the donor sperm option. 

I'm curious if anyone has had a similar experience and gotten a second opinion. I've read lots about Dr.Jarvi in Toronto. I guess I'm just hoping that there are more options out there. 

Thanks.

#2 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:30 PM

My husband has obstructive azoospermia and had a failed vasoepididymostomy with Dr. Jarvi. We considered getting a second opinion but decided it probably wasn't going to lead anywhere because all the other top surgeons were colleagues of Dr. Jarvi. Dr. Jarvi told us the tubules in my husband were "very small", so I presume the failure was due to my husband's anatomy and not Dr. Jarvi's lack of skill. My husband had an open biopsy while he was under general anaesthesia for the vasoepididymostomy to try to collect sperm samples, and fortunately for us healthy sperm were found. That procedure really took alot out of my husband. He's also had three needle biopsies (one to diagnose, two to collect sperm for IVF) and he found those much easier to tolerate. There was a fee associated with the sperm freezing for the open biopsy. I would highly recommend you arrange that they freeze anything they find. I've heard of them going back a second time and nothing being found.

Let's hope they find something on the biopsy. Is there any medication they can give your husband to boost the sperm production in the testes?

I would consider where you would want your IVF cycle to be done and make sure that clinic is experienced in male infertility. Dr. Jarvi warned us not to go to a clinic other than the one he referred us to. We ended up with 100% fertilization with our clinic with the testicular sperm, which is very very good.

#3 KJ15

KJ15
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for your input. The concern Dr.Brock had was that because my husband's surgery was so late in life (typically that type of surgery happens before 2 years old), there may have been permanent damage done. We have a follow up appointment with Dr.H-C in February, where we're hoping to talk about all of our options, including if there is any medication he can take leading up to the biopsy to potentially increase our chances of finding viable sperm. Thanks for the suggestion on freezing everything and anything they find. We're also going to ask about possibly timing his biopsy with a retrieval so that there is the possibility of not having to risk the freezing process right away. 

Which clinic did you go to? We're with Omega right now, but we are open to other options if it means we'll get more specialized care for our needs. 

#4 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:57 PM

It's not a bad idea to time the biopsy with the egg retrieval, but make sure you have a back up donor sperm sample in case they don't find anything. Embryos freeze better than unfertilized eggs. If you're reluctant to give up your husband being the source of the sperm I think its worth your peace of mind to get a second opinion so you know you did everything you could. The wait to see Dr. Jarvi was 3mo or something so you might want to get that referral now.

Do you know if they will do an open biopsy on your husband? If so he and you will be undergoing anaesthesia on the same day, probably in different locations, and you will definitely need 1-2 people to help you out that day (possibly one for you and one for him)

I PMed my clinic

#5 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

Actually now that i think of it I don't know if the anaesthesia was for the vasoepididymostomy or for that and the open biopsy. That is something to ask about.

#6 KJ15

KJ15
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for your help. From what we were told the biopsy would just be under a local freezing.