#351 elephantshoes

elephantshoes
  • Cyclebase
  • 869 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:LifeQuest/MFC

Posted 21 July 2020 - 02:51 PM

Hi ladies!

Yaena - I don't recall having carpal tunnel during my 1st pregnancy, but a few months after I had my first I signed up for a post-natal swim bootcamp something-or-other, and I remember trying to push myself up out of the pool and falling back in because my wrists gave out.  I was thoroughly embarrassed that I couldn't haul my body weight out of the water without using stairs and the instructor told me it was ridiculously common to have carpal tunnel issues - luckily, after a few months it went away.  Just another fun side effect of pregnancy.  Now not being unable to haul my large a** out of the pool can purely be attributed to zero muscle tone!

Elation - get yourself that diaper bag girl!  Backpacks are sooooooo useful, but if you have an option, make sure that it has a zipper that goes almost down to the bottom if possible as no doubt whatever you'll need/want will always be at the very bottom and you don't want to have to dig with one hand (while your other hand is holding the squirming baby!).  In my previous job I worked closely with 3 guys and while I had a traditional computer bag satchel type thingy, they all had backpacks for their computers and I was so jealous.  I have a backpack now and it's amazing!!!!  Taking the weight off your shoulder makes all the difference in the world.  That being said, one of the few things I bought for this pregnancy was a new diaper bag (satchel style???).  Kate Spade was having a sale so I ordered an adorable one from them....and then the buggers refused to ship (pretty sure it's a cross boarder issue even though it said free shipping to Canada).  I'm normally pretty laid back, but lost it (via email because no one would pick up) on their customer service as the bag is still for sale on their website so their claim that it was 'sold out' was a complete lie. 

Anyway, I've now vowed to only buy Canadian.  I've ordered this cutie https://herschel.ca/...=10647-02077-OS , although my pattern is no longer there and I think I paid about $70.  The quality looks amazing (it didn't take long to show up) although I haven't taken it for a test spin yet ;)

Had an OB appointment today.  The baby has started to drop so it could be any time now.  I'm 39 weeks tomorrow.  I have an appointment booked for next Wednesday where I've been threatened with a stretch and sweep, so I'm hoping this little one decides to come on her own (I like the spontaneousness of it vs having it forced).  I can't believe that this pregnancy is almost over - I will be super sad to not be pregnant anymore (although can't wait for this little monkey)!

IVF 1 - cancelled, oversuppressed

IVF 2 - cancelled, ovulated through stims

IVF 3 - BFP, welcomed beautiful baby girl

FET 1 - 1 blast, BFN

FET 2 - 1 blast BFP, chemical

FET 3 - 2 blasts, BFN

IVF 4 - adding in PGS this time, two PERFECT blasts transferred, BFN

ERA revealed implantation window is off by 2 days

IVF 5 - cancelled, ridiculously bad growth compared to other cycles

IVF 6 - transfer cancelled, all 11 blasts came back genetically abnormal

getting second opinion/changing clinics...the story continues...

IVF 7 - 34 retrieved, 7 day 5 blasts, 6 PGS NORMAL!!!

FET 4 - 1 euploid blast (4BB), BFN

Immune testing - NK cells too high, LADs too low - 3 LITS + IVIG recommended and completed

ERA testing shows that lining is receptive for 7.5dt 

FET 5 - 1 euploid blast (3ABO), BFP

BETA #1 - 10dp5dt 252

BETA #2 - 12dp5dt 559

everything is crossed...

Welcomed another beautiful baby girl 

FET 6 - 1 euploid blast (3BAO), BFP

BETA #1 - 13dp5dt 420

Welcomed our 3rd beautiful baby girl

Our journey is complete.  What a wild ride.

#352 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 965 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 21 July 2020 - 03:06 PM

Elephant - haha i like how you say you were threatened with the sweep. Have you done one before? I did with my first and everyone - doctor included - told me how painful it might be. I didn't find it painful in the slightest, just a super weird feeling. Then again, not sure if mine worked either since I did go into labour, but not until more than 24 hours later.

Yeah, I think carpal tunnel is a lot more common. Both painful and annoying, but I think carpal tunnel is a little easier to manage with wrist braces (as opposed to cubital tunnel, since you have to brace your elbow with it - and who the heck can parent a toddler with an arm that needs to remain down and totally straight? Let alone both arms!). Everyone, doctors included, talk about carpal tunnel and then when i say no, it is these fingers (last couple) they say "Oh, that is the other nerve" and it is end of story. It does make me worry it won't go away after birth, and I will end up needing surgery because everyone assumed it was pregnancy related and it wasn't, or something.

Also, the diaper bag is so cute! I too have been pretty much "buy Canadian" because of shipping issues and times. I ordered a couple of nursing nightdresses on Amazon that shipped from China - one just arrived (took 3 months!!) and the other still hasn't arrived (going into the third month now).

Me: 38

DH: 43

June, July, Aug, Sep 2016: IUI. All BFN.

January 2017: IVF #1. 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized. 1 transferred on day 5 - BFP! DD born 10/08/17. heart.gif (2 embryos frozen)

Nov 2018: FET #1. 1 transferred. Chemical pregnancy.

Dect 2018: FET #2. Last embryo transferred. BFN.

April 2019: IVF #2. 16 eggs retrieved, 11 fertilized. 1 transferred on day 5 (5 frozen). Chemical pregnancy again.

Aug 2019: FET #3. 1 transferred - BFP!  Lost HB at 9 week U/S. MMC.  cry.gif

Nov 2019: FET #4. 1 transferred - BFP again! DD due Aug 6/20

#353 elephantshoes

elephantshoes
  • Cyclebase
  • 869 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 03:23 PM

Ok - so I thought you were just having typing issues and kept misspelling 'carpal'.  I have since Googled and now understand that 'cubital' is completely different and lord does that sound annoying!  Also, thank you for making me smarter! smile.png Yeah, I think at this stage most Drs simply chalk it up to pregnancy side effects and want us to deflate first before spending any time on 'pinched' anything sad.png

Yes, #2 was a stretch and sweep.  And yes, just like you I didn't find it painful at all other than the fact that I remember my RE's hand digging into my pelvic bone (not a big deal).

Elation - don't worry about the stretch and sweep!  It's weird and awkward, but before you know it, there are going to be all sorts of hands reaching all sorts of places.....par for course!  Hopefully if you get one, you'll also find it odd rather than painful!

The stretch and sweep worked for us!  Mild contractions began a few hours later and baby was here in about 12 hours!

Edited to add that my BP is also low, but RE didn't bother telling me what!

FET 1 - 1 blast, BFN

FET 3 - 2 blasts, BFN

Immune testing - NK cells too high, LADs too low - 3 LITS + IVIG recommended and completed

BETA #1 - 10dp5dt 252

BETA #2 - 12dp5dt 559

everything is crossed...

BETA #1 - 13dp5dt 420

#354 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 965 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:07 PM

Ah hahaha - I definitely do have typing issues with my fat fingers, but that totally cracked me up. Yeah, I had never heard of this until I had it either.

And yes - man, I find the cervical checks the same. I was shocked all over today by how far they need to reach to do this stuff. I mean - you think you have reached peak indignity and then that finger goes higher and you expect to see their hand come out your throat or something. Haha.

I cant wait to deflate :)

January 2017: IVF #1. 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized. 1 transferred on day 5 - BFP! DD born 10/08/17. heart.gif (2 embryos frozen)

April 2019: IVF #2. 16 eggs retrieved, 11 fertilized. 1 transferred on day 5 (5 frozen). Chemical pregnancy again.

#355 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 149 posts
  • My Clinic:Mt. Sinai

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:45 PM

Haha elephantshoes I'm a thousand percent sure that my muscle tone is non-existent now.  Going up the stairs is a daily workout I cannot imagine hauling myself out of a pool!  I so wanted a kate spade bag too, I think my laptop bag style also comes as a diaper bag (I saw it at the Halton outlet once way before I got to IVF stage) and thought it was so nice.  Maybe I will get a nicer diaper backpack.  Treat yo'self!  The Herschel one is so nice!  I didnt know they made diaper bags too, that thing will probably be indestructible.

I was just thinking that I will miss the belly kicks and rolls when he's out.  There hasn't been much that's enjoyable in this pregnancy, but toting him around and feeling him roll around in there has been quite nice.  And THANK YOU for sharing with me your positive stretch and sweep experience!! I'm getting more nervous as the weeks draw closer to EDD and good stories only is now the motto.  I don't mind odd! I do mind painful!

39 weeks tomorrow!  I hope she decides to come on her own for you :)

Also someone today asked me if I was having twins.  I mean I guess my fibroids are another 'living and growing' entity.. haha

lol Yaena, I too have found anything shipped from China takes FOREVER.  I usually entirely forget about it before it arrives and then I'm like, oh yeah!  So only things that I won't mind entirely forgetting about are options for China shipping.

LOL expect their hand to come out of your throat! I had a cervical check when I was in the ER in April, she just rammed her hand right up there.  But I guess after all the appointments with the ultrasound wand, I'm barely uncomfortable with that.  One of the residents at my clinic was a male and I'd routinely end up with him so... the weirdest part was seeing him once walk around in normal clothes.  Then it was like AHH you're a normal dude!  Up until then he was a doctor! haha

I just put up the blackout curtains in my little nursery, but now I think I have the wrong length.  Think I'm gonna return and reorder .. *facepalm* 

Me: 32; DH: 41  |  TTC: 2017  |  Mt Sinai Fertility

Dx: Single partial ovary, dermoid cyst and x-large fibroids

2013 Apr - Left ovary and tube removal from massive dermoid cyst torsion; partial right ovary damage

2017 July - Switch to Mt Sinai from RCC

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2018 Oct - Medicated Cycle BFN

2018 Nov - Medicated Cycle BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 June - Medicated Cycle BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

2019 Nov - IVF #1: 14 retrieved, 11 fertilized, 6 blasts, 4 frozen + 1 3BB transferred BFP!

#356 elephantshoes

elephantshoes
  • Cyclebase
  • 869 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:11 AM

Ha ha Yaena - I was trying to spare Elation!  I remember my first cervical check with #1 at the hospital and I was like 'whoah-there!'.  It was a teaching hospital and they actually asked me if they could bring extra residents by to have a feel.  Lord.

Yeah, with the stretch and sweep (again, not painful other than the tailbone issue) I remember thinking that female Dr's would have an advantage on the procedure.  My 6'6" RE is huge with huge man hands.  Oh well, he got the job done!

Elation, I don't know if this is a good story or not, but my recollection of giving birth twice (and having an epidural both times), is that it didn't hurt at the time, but afterwards (for the following few days) it felt as though someone wearing a steel-toed boot had kicked me as hard as they possibly could in my butt.  So it was sore and uncomfortable, but totally manageable and eventually the 'bruise' faded.  If you go naturally, are you planning an epidural?

FET 1 - 1 blast, BFN

FET 3 - 2 blasts, BFN

BETA #1 - 10dp5dt 252

BETA #2 - 12dp5dt 559

everything is crossed...

BETA #1 - 13dp5dt 420

#357 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 965 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:03 PM

Hahaha elephantshoes - yeah, I once said I felt like they should buy me dinner first, or at least a drink. But by the time I hit the hospital in labour, I didn't give a crap who was there. I had a resident at first (also a teaching hospital) - then the person on call for my GP since she wasn't available - then an OB. It reminded me of being in the stirrups at my fertility clinic, actually - since there, your crotch faced the open door to the embryology lab. Hello, here I am, take a good look!

Oh man elation - the twins thing. I always want to have a smart ass retort for such inappropriate comments but I never feel like I have one. I did decide a long time ago that anyone who touched my belly without asking, I was going to reach out and put my hand on theirs, too. Like - oh, is this what we're doing now? I am strange and don't love the whole movement thing - to me I am still very much just me, and don't see my belly as the baby. I think I am just too literal and need the babe on the outside.

Along those lines - my mom drives me INSANE wanting to see my belly on Facetime calls. I have tried explaining to her how that makes me feel - I mean, I had an eating disorder when I was in my teens and still struggle with body image, so this "let me see your belly!" makes me insanely self conscious. My mom responds with this passive aggressive victim thing, like I am hurting her by doing it and she goes on and on - I actually find I talk to her less when pregnant to minimize the ordeal.

And I want to second a lot of what elephantshoes said, elation - I mean, I found the initial part of labour painful, but I had back labour (which is only about 25% of women - not the norm!). And the pain meds still did an awesome job. Morphine shot at the start made me comfortable enough to go home and wait 12 hours. And the epidural was unreal - no pain, I would have napped except they were checking on babe so often (and again, I had abnormal circumstances that caused that too). From the epidural to birth, I felt no pain. Life was great! And that was about 7 hours. C section, I obviously felt nothing - actually, I didn't even feel pressure or anything there. I didn't start to be uncomfortable until they were removing the epidural in recovery, and that was because they were flipping me around like a wet fish haha. Even my c section recovery was pretty good - I mean, sure it hurt, but I only used NSAIDS (Naproxen) - nothing stronger needed. I was up and walking about 12 hours after the c section, in tiny amounts, and was doing laps of the maternity floor a day or two later. If you get a c section this is huge - walk. Move. You'll know if you are pushing too hard because your bleeding will increase. I really credit constantly pushing myself (and getting as much rest as possible) for the fact I was basically healed in 4 weeks - I was out visiting people 10 days after the c section even! (Visit with babe to the fertility clinic - they nearly fell over when they saw me so soon!)

Anyhow. I think my body is definitely getting ready for labour, but not necessarily soon. I am experiencing the delightful "clean out" thing, and I was hit yesterday with this insane fatigue. All signs it is coming, but I could still easily make it to the c section date.

#358 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:59 PM

Oh ladies, THANK YOU for the reassurance! Yes I'm totally planning on taking all the drugs they will give me as soon as they will give them to me haha epidural, morphine, nitronox (although I hear they don't do that during COVID).  I believe my OB is completely on the natural delivery boat and just waiting for me to get on that too.  I've already got a little bottle of my dear friend morphine, so I will definitely be down for shooting up with that to help me get through!  Your reassurances on the effectiveness of modern medicine makes me feel better, thank you ladies :)

During OHSS, I was routinely openly exposed for them to check on the swelling, including the male resident.  He was very professional and I was on fentanyl and ativan with a giant needle in my belly so... I couldn't care less.  I guess I can expect the same for delivery haha but omg elephantshoes, seeing if residents in training could come by for a feel...

But yes I too always wanted the snarky response to belly touching, like touching their belly too, or just picking their hand up and placing it on their own belly while shaking my head and saying "Not Today, Satan" (okay that might be a bit harsh). Or if someone says 'two babies'? I'll just say one baby, a medium pizza, and a couple burritos.  I'm sorry you've had a difficult journey with body image, and I hear you on the lack of sympathy from others.  Even when I was going through OHSS and suffering so much every day, my mother would invalidate my feelings by comparing me to my cousin who's going through cancer treatment.  I KNOW that it's a completely different ballgame, but it's not the pain olympics and I wasn't even trying to compete.  Surviving each day in that time was just so hard.

Yeah.. I recall after my first surgery, I didn't walk until the third day.  When they literally forced me up.  It hurt so bad, they did warn me though that because a lot of nerve endings were cut because of the ovary and the tubes it would hurt but I still didnt expect it.  Recovery just seems like a terrible process either way.  I think I was on four different types of painkillers, I can't imagine doing that with a hungry newborn.  Healed in 4 weeks Yaena that is incredible!

These pregnancy dreams are also kinda nutty.  I had such a realistic dream last night that IVF actually didn't work and I was in the process of putting four more embryos in... it was sad and emotional, but I woke up to baby kicking me and my fibroids.

2013 Apr - Left ovary and tube removal from massive dermoid cyst torsion; partial right ovary damage

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

2019 Nov - IVF #1: 14 retrieved, 11 fertilized, 6 blasts, 4 frozen + 1 3BB transferred BFP!

#359 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 965 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 12:08 PM

Elation - all the drugs! Yes, that is a good motto haha. Honestly with DD I thought I was going to try and go natural as long as possible - and I was screaming for the epidural before they had assessed me at 3cm haha. I have a friend who had her second with zero pain meds and I have no idea how.

Pregnancy dreams are insane. What hormones do to the subconscious is crazy. I actually had a similar one to you, a few months ago - not that it didn't work at all, but that I had another chemical/early miscarriage - and then woke up convinced until I tried to get out of bed and realized, whoa, I am actually pregnant.

As for the healing - I think in some ways, having DD in the NICU for a few days helped me heal. I know most women hate getting out of bed after a c section, but for me - my baby was on another floor and down a bunch of hallways away, so I had some serious motivation. My first visit or two I actually went in a wheelchair (carrying my catheter bag ha! so gross). But then they called one night and DH wasn't with me, and she was hungry - so I thought, I have to get there. I managed to drag myself, holding on to walls, alone. That said - I really hope i don't have the motivation of the NICU this time (and our hospital has totally changed so now, the NICU is actually all private rooms with couches and not the big nursery style from before). I suspect this recovery is going to be harder.

Funny thing - I have a friend who is also pregnant right now. She is due in a couple of days (she actually found out she was pregnant, after a failed IVF, the day I had my transfer that resulted in this baby). So we've been comparing notes the whole way along. It's her first, and I have this funny competitive part of me that wants to give birth first - it is so weird and irrational. We both had our first cervical checks this week and I am laughing at myself for feeling so proud I am the tiniest bit more effaced than her, haha (she is 1cm and 50% at 39w3d, and I was 1 cm and 75% at 37w5d). The strangest thing in the world to be competitive about right? Especially since either one of us could change so fast. Maybe it is just my desire to have this baby soon, in general.

Speaking of - I keep waiting up with pelvic pain and thinking - oooh, is this it? But I always fall asleep again and it always is gone when I wake up. I won't see a doctor again or have another check until next Friday (from 37w5d to 39w1d), so I am on pins and needles wondering if I will make it to that appointment and if I do, how much will have changed by then!

#360 elephantshoes

elephantshoes
  • Cyclebase
  • 869 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:31 AM

Water broke at 3:30am last night - at the hospital and expecting baby girl some time later today :)

Will be back in touch :)

FET 1 - 1 blast, BFN

FET 3 - 2 blasts, BFN

BETA #1 - 10dp5dt 252

BETA #2 - 12dp5dt 559

everything is crossed...

BETA #1 - 13dp5dt 420

#361 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:10 AM

elephantshoes - Ahhh!! Good luck and all the best wishes for a smooth and safe delivery!!! Excited for you to meet your dear baby girl!! yahoo.gif

Yaena - I hear about these stories where people manage without pain meds and then other stories where people feel like they're literally dying, and I'm just beginning to feel like it's luck of the draw haha there's probably something about body physiology involved, but it sometimes seems so random! Like a friend who almost didnt make it to the hospital, then had her baby out on the second push and walked home later that day.

I can definitely see how the motivation of seeing your baby would help get you out of bed!  All I wanted back with my surgery was to keep clicking that morphine button. Literally when the drugs started to wear off it went from sunshine and rainbows to dark and stormy.  I've spent some time in hospitals and it's never been all that great haha but it's a hospital so .. this would have to be the first experience I'm going in for something positive.

I hear you on the weird pregnancy race! i have one friend who is 5 weeks ahead of me (she just gave birth this past week) and another who is ten days behind me (just had her baby shower).  I always feel like I'm losing the pregnancy game cuz I'm always in pain and look like I'm carrying twins (yet another person telling me I'm having twins), while others are still skinny with tiny bumps.  I too am ready for pregnancy to be over, but I still face whatever consequence these fibroids will bring...

I also had a lot of internal pressure pain over the last couple days. Thankfully it's backed off a bit now, but at it's worst I couldn't walk, sit, lie down without pain.  And it was pain on the baby side, not fibroid side!  It was a new site for sharp pain and I don't know what it is.  Kinda felt like when my ovary torqued and was dying, and I sure hope it's not doing that again... I don't even know what they would do.

36w ultrasound in two days! And then I think they will release the hold on my c-section spot since they don't want me going down that route...

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

#362 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 965 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:54 AM

elephantshoes - Congratulations! Hoping for a smooth birth and quick arrival for you!

elation - Ouch. Any chance it was round ligament pain? I find sometimes when that strikes it literally takes my breath away - no moving, nothing, until it eases up. In any case, definitely a good idea to bring it up with your doctor to be sure. Good luck with the ultrasound!

AFM - Honestly, I have been struggling for a couple of days. OK, for longer but especially the last few. I had hope that maybe, things were starting on the weekend (cramping for about five or six hours straight) but it eased off and I have barely felt a twinge since. I am a little worried about my mental state for after pregnancy - my arms are awful, my hands are awful, I basically have very limited function and am in pain from them all the time (this morning, I couldn't get out of my bedroom to go to the washroom because my hands hurt so much I couldn't turn the doorknob). I am angry at my doctor who I feel hasn't taken it seriously despite hearing me complain about it for 4-5 months, and I am worried I won't be able to properly care for my baby because it isn't going to magically go away the second she is out. It will take at least a couple of weeks for the inflammation and swelling to go down. At this point, I couldn't hold my baby longer than a minute or two, not even to feed, without losing feeling in my hands and arms. I have to hope that the painkillers will make a difference but I am not feeling confident. My leg and foot swelling is insane so moving hurts. I just feel like I have mentally checked out. I just want stuff finished so I can lay on my back and dream of another time and place for awhile.

I called to try and get my GP appointment bumped up this week (currently on Friday - last appointment was with the OB last Tuesday, and my GP a week before that). She has no openings and I am thinking I will likely just cancel and skip it. I mean - what is the point? She isn't doing the c section (which is 4 days later). She hasn't done anything for pain in the last 7 months, and for a weekend, is it worth it? I am monitoring my BP at home, per the OB's instructions, and it is fine. Yeah, she would check the heartbeat (but I feel movement lots) and maybe do a cervical check (but really, this baby is either going to wait until the 4th or she isn't - so what does a check matter?). Yeah, I am so over pregnancy at this point I don't even feel excited to see this baby. Which is awful. Also compounding the issue is the fact my toddler seems possessed - maybe she is feeding off my mood, maybe she senses the changes coming, maybe she is just 2 1/2. But she is rough, angry, screams and throws things a lot, and I am ready for a nap days by about 8:30am. I just want to be able to be a properly energetic and mobile parent for her again.

Sorry for being such a downer.

#363 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:50 PM

I thought round ligament pain was more acute in one position, but the pain I was having felt less like muscle pulls and more like an all over abdomen high internal pressure?  Perhaps it could be though... maybe a mix of several different things happening at once?

th_agrr.gif

Aw man I am frustrated and angry for you!! They should be taking a closer look into these things that concern you, at the very least from a good healthcare provider coverage stand point.. I wish there were more options available for you to seek more professional opinions.  From what I hear about others carpal tunnel syndrome (not quite the same but maybe close enough?) it thankfully does go away quickly when baby is born, but like you, there was always that overarching worry of - what if it doesn't?  I'm so sorry you're going through this >:( and I also really wish the doctors would look into this more if not just for your peace of mind..

I'm so sorry that this is all compounding into such a low feeling pregnancy end for you :( I think if it makes it easier on you to skip the OB appointment, or whatever else that enhances some self-care feels for you, you should let yourself indulge in!  Baby health is important, but yours is most definitely too!! I hope we all gain our energy back once baby comes along, but I feel that emotional, mental, and physical support is so important to get there.  Please take good care of yourself Yaena! <3 big hugs and sending you lots of love. And wishes that your doctor will help you out here on the cubital tunnel syndrome and the c-section requests!!!

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

#364 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 965 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:00 AM

Elephantshoes - any updates?

Elation - Thanks for listening! I hate being so negative but, much like you, it has just been such a rough pregnancy. So much daily pain. I don't know how folks with chronic illnesses do it, I would be a miserable person to be around all the time. As it is, I just keep reminding myself there is a deadline. I know from past experience (I am guessing you too!) that swelling actually increases post c section - I was SO swollen and puffed up after my first one, the shoes I wore to the hospital at 41 weeks pregnant barely squished on my feet to go home. I think that is what worries me about regaining feeling in my hands - I need the swelling and inflammation to go down, and past experience, it was around 2 weeks at home before things were more normal? I am so worried about my ability to care for a baby like this. With DD, I lose feeling in my entire arm within a couple minutes of holding her. I lose feeling in my hand when I feed her - I have to pause every couple of spoonfuls. And I lose feeling holding up a bottle (she refuses to take milk from a cup still, so we still give her a bottle in the morning and at night to get calcium in!). Today, for instance, I don't think I had feeling in my left hand more than a half dozen times (even now, I can't feel two of my fingers as I type - it is a slow process!). I know eventually it should come back, but I am worried about those couple of weeks when a baby needs me so much - just hoping that NSAIDs will make a major difference.

Ugh, you're right - all of my ligament pain has been low in the pelvis. Have you checked in with your OB just in case? Good luck with your scan - definitely let us know how it goes! How do you feel about the idea of a vaginal birth now?

I have my pre-op assessment, by phone, tomorrow morning. I got a big email of instructions today - the normal ones plus the covid ones. I might end up keeping my Friday appointment just in case now. It's with my GP, not the OB, but if I have last minute questions I forget to ask tomorrow it might be nice to have a place to take them. I haven't really decided yet. I am definitely getting a little nervous about everything - from the childcare aspect (we had a plan that we felt pretty good with - then my SIL made a surprise visit home from Europe, and is self isolating at my inlaws house, where we had planned to take DD when I had the baby - so we are making a lot of last minute adjustments now), to the surgery itself, to adjusting to life with 2 instead of 1. My FIL (retired OB) found out that we are planning a scheduled c section (we thought he knew!) and was visibly relieved - not sure if that is a medical opinion after the circumstances of DD's birth, or if it is a reaction to the covid situation and me being alone for a good chunk.

#365 elephantshoes

elephantshoes
  • Cyclebase
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:43 AM

Hi Elation & Yaena!

I'm sorry that these last few weeks aren't going as happily as either of you planned.  Constant pain is just not fair and Yaena, feeling that you've been let down by your medical team sucks.  I hope things turn around in these last couple of weeks for both of you and that you can enjoy your last few days of being pregnant.

As for me.....she's here!  Brooke Ainsley was born last night at 1:11am and weighed 8.8lbs.  She's beautiful and we're thrilled. 

I woke up at 3:30am monday morning to go pee and knew that I was trickling amniotic fluid...went back to bed but couldn't sleep so woke up DH who immediately went into overdrive (no surprise!).  We ended up having our friend come over at 4am as my parents weren't going to get to our house until 6am and triage told us to get our butts to the hospital.

Arrived @ 5:30am @ 3cm but got placed in a room because I'm GBS positive (so different than last time).  Given misopropal around 11am to get labour going, didn't do squat.  Checked at noon, still 3cm.  Was told that I'd start oxy at 2pm and would have a baby around dinner.  At 2pm a nurse came in and said that the 'unit acuity' was high and they were going to let me coast due to other patients needing the nurses attention (I was having contractions every 4 mins or so at this point).  Ordered my epidural - heaven! 5pm only about 5cm, no drugs to get things moving.  Finally started oxy around 6pm.  Slow, slow progress.  Finally, at 11pm I was 100% dialated, but there was another lady pushing and a 'needed' c-section (I think this was another patient who was apparently freaking out at 1cm and they finally decided to give her a c-section because there was no way she was going to make it through labour).  So at 11 they asked me to hold off until the c-section was over - fine, baby was high and I liked the idea of her being born on the 28th over the 27th (just like the number better).  At midnight the Dr was out of the c-section and now it was between myself and the other 'pushing' lady.....I won!  Out in three contractions (so 9 pushes).  Cord was around her neck (scary!) but she was just fine.  Because my labour was 22hrs I'm being kept for an additional 24-36 hrs so DH and I are just chillin with the babe figuring out what we want to order for dinner (because our hospital is in PHASE 3 #littlewins!)

Anyway, I'm in pure bliss.  My monkey is about to wake up. My hands might not be as free in the coming days, but I will definitely be following you two - can't wait to hear what the end of your journey's are like - hang tight guys!

• Daisy.Eriksen, elation and DorothyandToto like this

FET 1 - 1 blast, BFN

FET 3 - 2 blasts, BFN

BETA #1 - 10dp5dt 252

BETA #2 - 12dp5dt 559

everything is crossed...

BETA #1 - 13dp5dt 420

#366 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:33 PM

Yaena - solidarity! I don’t know how people who live with chronic pain do it either.. but I hear it changes them.  I can understand how.  I feel like recognizing and acknowledging the mental strain is part of the recovery too because mentally recovering is just as important as physically recovering.  When I had my surgery, I bloated up like a balloon, fully distended stomach and all.  It was six weeks before I could go out and about, and even then I was bloated.  Do you feel a loss of muscle strength when your hands are numb?  With my leg nerve palsy, I just started tripping over myself and it got in the way of walking.  Anyway, it still hasn’t come back even though they initially told me 2-4 weeks..

If the pain kept up, I would’ve called into triage, but it subsided after a day and a half.  I’ll definitely be asking about it tomorrow, I feel okay again today, finally back to normal.  I even slept through the night!  I’m getting the big slow movements in the belly now, maybe he’s running out of room? I’m so worried about running out of room lol

How was your pre-op assessment?  I guess there’s a lot to plan for with your DD, and surprise visits, and everything.  I’m a bit worried about the two dogs I have and how they’ll react to baby.  How’s the COVID situation over there now?  We’re heading into stage 3 opening so starting tomorrow, restaurants are open at limited capacity.  I see kids all over our local playground again with no face coverings, I’m pretty sure playgrounds aren’t open yet.  

Elephantshoes - YAAAAYY!!! yahoo.gif  Congratulations on your new baby girl!! I’m thrilled for you :) and she has such a beautiful name too!  I like how it was a race between you and the other pushing lady, and you won! Hahah Wow I can’t believe she was out in three contractions, how amazing. And I also can’t believe you can just ‘hold off’ on having her until the doc is free haha sounds like something you’d here in a TV show. I’m glad to hear everything seemed to go so well, that the cord around her neck was nothing, and you and baby are doing so well :)

Which hospital were you at again?  I’m glad they took great care of you and you got to order what you want for dinner because phase 3!! :D Thank you for sharing your story, I’m so happy for you and really appreciate it!

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

#367 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 965 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:06 PM

Elephantshoes - LOVE the name! Especially Ainsley - DH shot it down for me but I have tried to get it on the list both times. I also cracked up at how you basically held her in until they had time for you to deliver - that is crazy! As someone who laboured for 25 hours with DD (before the c section) - you're a champ for going so long. So happy everyone is healthy and enjoying time together now.

Elation - yuck, the leg issue sounds awful! I definitely feel like I have lost ability in my hands - I drop things all the time and can't open bottles or jars (not even DD's water bottle) anymore. Congrats on sleeping through the night though, what an amazing feeling that must have been! Yay!

My pre op went well. I am a little jittery - there are just enough things different from the emergency c that this will be a really different experience. The current covid rules are pretty good though, and I decided to ask one of my friends to be my second support person after all (she is such a helper and so busy, I hate asking - but I just know I can't do it alone and DH is not seeming overly helpful right now either - he spent the morning calling DD names when he got frustrated with her essentially being 2, and me trying to shut him up and offer her more reassurance to counteract him - UGH.) Anyhow, our covid cases have spiked again - a major outbreak that has pushed community transmission rates much higher, and hospitals are starting to worry about beds and capacity - but, none go to the children's hospital that I know of, so it is a little calmer there. Everything here is open again, but health facilities are a little more reserved than the rest of the province. I will be screened, temperature checked, hand santized and masked before I go to the maternity ward - offered a covid test if I want one, too. DH will be the same, only no testing offered to him. I designate two support people when I arrive - they can be there together (if they can distance), masks are required everywhere but my room. My support people are allowed to leave and come back, but I can't swap them out for a different person, and they get screened every time they arrive. DD is not allowed to come at all though, which makes me sad. I'll be in hospital for 2 nights, 2 days, and it is the longest I have ever been away from her. Lots of FaceTime calls.

I am nervous about managing alone - DD has never been away from both DH and I at the same time for more than maybe an hour, and our inlaws are quite old (mid- to late 70s). So, we are limiting her time away from DH to 2 hours max. That means, he will likely leave the hospital before I am out of recovery after the c section. I asked if he would come back after DD's nap for another hour or two, and he seems to think asking his parents to come over twice in a day is too much. So, I had to ask my friend (or be alone with a newborn, not able to stand, for several hours). Nurses will definitely help but i have been warned that they prioritize women in labour (of course!), so there might be a wait. I am still nervous about evenings and overnights alone, and I have asked DH to come twice the next day because my friend likely won't be able to come in at all then. But, we'll see. I am really hoping when this baby arrives, his attitude will shift and he will want to be there more.

#368 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 149 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:21 AM

Yaena - haha I like how the small victories (sleeping through the night, no leg cramps) feel like such accomplishments!  I was overheating quite a bit yesterday for some reason and I can't even toss and turn!  I had another dream though that I wasnt pregnant, although I'm almost taking it as a good sign that my body doesnt feel any subconscious belly pain.

I've been recently on a binge to collect baby board books, I don't know why!  I guess I stumbled upon the Hungry Caterpillar and it kickstarted my childhood memories on reading.  Then I wanted to track down Dr Seuss books, and Robert Munsch books, everything!  I have an assortment now that arent even going to be used for at least a year!

Glad your pre-op went well and hope that the jitters subside!  I can entirely imagine it's like prepping for major surgery, except there are two lives involved now.  It's pretty awesome that you get two support people and they can leave and come back.  I think locally, the hospital nearest me is only allowing a support person to stay overnight if you're in a private room (which is just first come first served).  No in and out privileges I think.  I'm not altogether too clear on what my hospital is doing, but from what I understand I get one support person with in/out privileges.  The city has entered stage 3 now so shit will either hit the fan, or there will be more leniency haha

My 36w OB appt was interesting, I had a different doc who is very patient-comfort centric- if I want hte c-section, do it!  If I want natural, do that!  He actually introduced a new option to me that I hadn't considered before: choosing an induction date where my OB and a gyne surgeon specializing in cyst/fibroid removal would be on call.  Then hoping for the best lol.  With the space created by evicting the baby, theres risk of ovarian torsion by the cyst.  I should ask my main doc about that next week.  I'm still a bit nervous about the pain/discomfort of an induction though, but maybe that would be for the best?  Who knows!  I feel like I'm gambling.

Also, this baby's head is apparently already measuring over 40w!! The rest of him is average-ish size, but holy moly.  I'm scared!  That head needs to slow down haha

Managing alone seems like a huge thing to undertake too, I'm glad you have a support friend who can be there!  I remember after my surgery, I was so groggy and useless that if another life needed my attention, I'm sure I would have been oblivious to anything at all.  I think my DH too is going to be out and about to take care of our dogs, even though in my head I'm already thinking 'dont leave meeee'!  But they are still my furbabies and need to be taken care of.

My DH also started a bunch of house projects this week and I just hope he gets it all done in time.  I'm already unable to help (I already lack energy to play video games with him!) so if he doesn't get a move on all this, then this lil house is gonna be a wreck!

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

#369 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 965 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:46 PM

Oh man elation, I relate to the overheating! And it seems like the entire crazy country is in a heat wave too, right? I am so thankful we moved the guest room down to the basement - I am sleeping there and it is so much cooler :)

Definitely sounds like an interesting appointment you had. How are you feeling about things? Are you thinking you might push for the c section after all? It seems like such a big decision to make, either way. And holy cow - that is a big head! DD had a large head too, but I didn't know it (and never got to the pushing stage) - but her head circumference was consistently off the growth charts for probably the first year. Even now - hats, sunglasses, those things - she's 2 1/2 and I buy the ones that fit 5 year olds. I don't know who these kids are with tiny heads, haha. (That said - I have a small head so maybe it has shifted over time? Bigger babies, bigger heads?)

I ended up going to my last prenatal appointment today after all. I kind of wish I hadn't - I am getting so nervous about this baby and felt really pushed through the appointment today. She was running late and really seemed to just want to get the basics done. No cervical check - which I do understand - and she is quite sure I won't go into labour naturally before Tuesday, based on the baby's current position. (That said, I've read that second and later babies can basically drop super fast, sometimes when you are already in labour - so really I think it's totally up to this kid.) On the upside, my GP will be assisting on Tuesday after all, so long as they are on schedule - she has exactly an hour free to be there. And even if they are late, the doctor on call is, funny enough, the GP who assisted and guided me through labour with DD back in 2017. What are the odds of that, right? I think no matter what happens, the similarities in circumstances will be funny - if she waits until Tuesday she gets the same doctors as her sister. If she comes this weekend, she's like her sister in that she decided to go into labour on a holiday long weekend. It cracks me up.

I am currently super impatient for news from a friend - she found out she was pregnant after a failed IVF cycle, and told me as I was in recovery from the embryo transfer that resulted in this pregnancy. So we've been about a week and a half apart in our pregnancies - very cool. She let me know she was in early labour on Wednesday morning, and was still at home that evening, but I haven't heard anything since. I am hoping she is all wrapped up in loving her little girl, and that everything went well - it is also really nice to have a distraction in these last few days.

#370 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 11:09 PM

Ohh that sounds so good Yaena, I wish my basement was finished so i could have some sweet cool nights!  I wake up every once in a while to turn on the air conditioning lol

I’m probably a little bit more uncertain than before haha something about the paradox of choice.  If anything, I think I like the idea of inducing when the OB and surgeon are on call (there’s something nice about predictability), but at the same time, there’s also something nice about letting your body figure things out? And also that fact that I'm a little scared of inductions haha.  It does feel like a big decision, and the fact that my main OB never mentioned it before makes me feel like he has his reasons for not wanting to induce.  I’ll ask him for his opinion on Wednesday..

Oh wow haha I guess his head might always be ahead of the curve (heheh ahead). I think my DH and I have slightly larger heads too, but nothing too extraordinary.  All I can think about is what that means for labour though.  I don’t think they even did a cervical check for me this past week even though I had an u/s and all.

Tuesday is officially tomorrow!! How’re you feeling?  I turn 33 today, its a good week for birthdays I’d say :) I hope you’re doing well and feeling good about everything, how exciting you’ll get to meet your little one now!

Any news from your friend?  It was like that for when one of my friends went into labour and went dark haha it was her first though and I think she had a difficult experience.  I’m getting more nervous as the weeks draw closer- officially 1.5 weeks left before I start my mat leave!  I’ll be 37 weeks this coming Thursday, there were definitely some points in time when I didn’t think I was gonna make it!  Grateful to be here.

In case you’re already in the hospital, WISHING YOU ALL THE VERY BEST for a smooth and safe delivery!!! I’m super excited for you and sending all the positive thoughts your way!!!

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

#371 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 965 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:55 PM

Oh man- sorry for the delay in replying! Time totally got away from me in those last days until suddenly I was at the hospital for my c section!

Everything went well - they were actually running ahead of schedule so we had to scramble to get our childcare in time for DH to make it back for birth. Honestly I found the spinal a little more painful and the sensations were so strange! I had a lot of nausea issues (surprise) so they dosed me with blood pressure medicine (it was too low) and Zofran, then I needed some extra oxygen and gravol in recovery (where I started puking). But Isla Adesewa was born healthy and hollering and I was able to see and touch her through the clear drape right away! Breastfeeding is going well this time too! She was born 8lbs3oz and was just below 8lbs when they actually let us go home today! I am in awe that I am able to do this after last time. Shenis a slow eater, takes super long naps, and is such a good natured baby, unless you make her cold. Big sister loves her too - talks to her and wants to share things with her and wanted her to sleep in her bed tonight. Too cute.

Elation, how are you doing?
  • dragonlady, Daisy.Eriksen and DorothyandToto like this

#372 elephantshoes

elephantshoes
  • Cyclebase
  • 869 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:14 PM

Yaena - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!  I've been thinking about you and wondering if baby girl #2 had made her way to the world!  Isla is a beautiful name!  Is Adesewa a middle name or last name?  Either way, it's beautiful - African orgins? - beautiful regardless!  Glad to hear that breastfeeding is going well....I'm still super sore, but as before, it's because I can't produce milk without drugs so I just become a chew toy for the first few days.  And glad that everything worked out with your C-section and DH being able to accompany you.  Enjoy your new family that has grown by two feet!  Can't wait to hear more about Isla.

Elation - you're next!  Hope you're hanging in there :)

FET 1 - 1 blast, BFN

FET 3 - 2 blasts, BFN

BETA #1 - 10dp5dt 252

BETA #2 - 12dp5dt 559

everything is crossed...

BETA #1 - 13dp5dt 420

#373 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:32 PM

Yaayyy!! Congratulations Yaena!!!!! I’m so glad everything went well and little Isla is an amazing good-natured baby! What a dream. Over 8lbs on the way out too, what a nice healthy size! It sounds like your ever persistent nausea decided to stick it right through to the end too haha but I hope you’re feeling better now. What a blessing that breastfeeding is going well and big sis loves baby Isla!!  So many hugs to you! <3 (If you can't tell by all the exclamations, I'm excited for you)

I’m having a lot of cramps and occasional back pain.  I had a follow up with my doc yesterday who wasn’t overly concerned as long as the pain subsides when I move around, or apply some heat.  He said they could be Braxon Hicks and don’t really have an implication on labour beginning.  He also said that scheduling an induction was certainly an option if I felt more comfortable with that, but he also thinks that should be done in the 40th week.  And he also warned me it isn’t very comfortable lol a Foley bulb induction followed by drugs later.

LOL elephantshoes - you’ve just come a chew toy for the first days haha that sounds sore!  I’m nervous about the whole thing cuz its my first time and DH is still in the midst of doing home reno projects!! But at least I start mat leave mid next week so I’m looking forward to that, since it’s become such a pain to work on the projects that I’m on!  I was up until 3a yesterday doing work- partly because things need to get done, but also a bit of insomnia.

But I can’t wait to join you guys, I want to meet baby now too!!

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

#374 elephantshoes

elephantshoes
  • Cyclebase
  • 869 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:49 PM

Elation - Yay for mat leave!  Just make sure you take it!  With #2 I had my leave all booked two weeks before my due date and then I ended up working 70+ hrs each of those weeks - just couldn't leave without wrapping everything up!  I don't even want to admit this, but for this round, I took my computer to the hospital so that I could get a weekly report out!  After being admitted (knowing I was no where close to delivering), DH and I whipped our computers out and wrapped up our outstanding work. My boss might have yelled at me a little lol.

Yes, I really really hope breastfeeding comes easily to you.  I'm not gonna lie - it was brutal for me - all three times.  Sore, cracked, bleeding nipples simply from not having any colostrum/milk to give.  For #1 I ended up at the breastfeeding clinic two days back to back where a bunch of VERY pro-breastfeeding nurses told me I was doing everything right and to keep at it.  But it didn't feel right and nothing was working.  I finally decided that feeding my kid was most important and had ZERO regrets about formula feeding.  After speaking with my GP, he put me on a drug that made my milk finally come in (about 1.5 weeks after birth) and luckily #1 was willing to go back and forth between breast and bottle.  Do what feels right for you and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.  You've already rocked this more than most moms out there with what you've been through!  (and just for sh*ts and giggles, get your hubby to put his finger in the baby's mouth to feel the suck - he'll be blown away (and will hopefully buy you presents) that that's what you're putting your nips through!!!)

FET 1 - 1 blast, BFN

FET 3 - 2 blasts, BFN

BETA #1 - 10dp5dt 252

BETA #2 - 12dp5dt 559

everything is crossed...

BETA #1 - 13dp5dt 420

#375 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 965 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:25 PM

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! We are slowly adjusting (oh so slowly!), but the best part is that DD#1's adjustment so far has been the easiest part of the process.

Feeling really sore still - and I am constantly overdoing it. DH is tired from DD#1, and I end up going up and down the stairs way more than I should be doing. By the end of the day today, I was so tired (I have had about 2 hours sleep in two nights now) and over-exerted I was literally shaking. And my fluid retention is awful this time around - normal for post c-section, but my hands and wrists have rolls now, and I have lost feeling in three fingers on each hand from the nerve pain, up from two. I burst into tears today just from pain and wishing I could see things go back to normal.

Still waiting on milk to come in - my nipples are SO sore too, elephantshoes! I am producing colostrum, and she is pooping and wetting diapers so I assume it is all good (and her poop has veered away from the tar-like stuff). I am hopeful there will be milk in the next day or so. I tried domperidone last pregnancy, elephantshoes, and it did nothing for me, so I am glad it works well for you! In the meantime, I am bathing my nipples in this organic nipple butter and lanolin.

Oh, and yes, Adesewa is Yoruba (from Nigeria) - like my husband :) It is her middle name, and pronounced A-day-shay-wa.

OK - fingers crossed for a better night tonight. I need sleep!