397 replies to this topic

#326 elephantshoes

elephantshoes
  • Cyclebase
  • 869 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:LifeQuest/MFC

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:14 PM

Yay Canadamommy and Pandora!!!!!  So, so happy for you both!  Hopefully you're getting some sleep & enjoying snuggling with your new little ones.  Congratulations!

Yaena & Elation - I'm so sorry you've been screwed by Thyme.  I'm currently cursing Old Navy.  I ordered 5 summer rompers/dresses for my 6 year old and it's been over a month!!!  By the time they show up it will be fall!  So not cool and honestly, I don't think there's too much that can be done unless you phone your credit card company and tell them to remove the charge as it appears to be fraudulent?

36 weeks today for me.  I've had some BH and for 2 days there I thought she might be coming, but I'm back to just feeling huge.  I'll be skipping my week 37 appointment as we'll be at a cottage (bringing my hospital bag with me just to ensure I DON'T go into labour!) - I don't think it will be a huge issue as I grumbled about my choices for my week 36 appointment (too many work meetings already scheduled) and the secretary said 'no prob, we'll push it out a week!'.  I can't believe that some of us already have our babies and that the rest will be coming shortly!  Hang in there everyone!

IVF 1 - cancelled, oversuppressed

IVF 2 - cancelled, ovulated through stims

IVF 3 - BFP, welcomed beautiful baby girl

FET 1 - 1 blast, BFN

FET 2 - 1 blast BFP, chemical

FET 3 - 2 blasts, BFN

IVF 4 - adding in PGS this time, two PERFECT blasts transferred, BFN

ERA revealed implantation window is off by 2 days

IVF 5 - cancelled, ridiculously bad growth compared to other cycles

IVF 6 - transfer cancelled, all 11 blasts came back genetically abnormal

getting second opinion/changing clinics...the story continues...

IVF 7 - 34 retrieved, 7 day 5 blasts, 6 PGS NORMAL!!!

FET 4 - 1 euploid blast (4BB), BFN

Immune testing - NK cells too high, LADs too low - 3 LITS + IVIG recommended and completed

ERA testing shows that lining is receptive for 7.5dt 

FET 5 - 1 euploid blast (3ABO), BFP

BETA #1 - 10dp5dt 252

BETA #2 - 12dp5dt 559

everything is crossed...

Welcomed another beautiful baby girl 

FET 6 - 1 euploid blast (3BAO), BFP

BETA #1 - 13dp5dt 420

Welcomed our 3rd beautiful baby girl

Our journey is complete.  What a wild ride.

#327 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 972 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:17 PM

Congratulations Pandora! What a birth story - I love it :) I hope you're enjoying those early snuggles. Sorry to hear about the tear - I hope you'll heal quickly. And DS - I hope he adjusts to his little sister. I also am worried about those early days of adjustment here.

elephantshoes - I am honestly relieved to hear you're skipping an appointment, haha. My 35 week appointment was by phone this week and my GP seemed to think it was pretty pointless to have done at all, too, with the limits phone appointments put on her and I. Hope the BH don't get too bad, and you can enjoy some time away before the baby gets here.

Elation - I hope you won't have any issues with Thyme! I did received my parcel this week - so not too bad, about three weeks after I ordered (but it also had to go from Quebec to Saskatoon so that normally takes nearly a week, at best). Nothing missing from my order either - it was good. (Well - good in that things were there, ha. One of the dresses was SO ugly!)

AFM - just carrying on. I finally have a sense of urgency to get things finished and ready - getting some of the freezer meals and baking done, getting things cleaned up, packing a hospital bag. DD seems to sense change is coming and needs a lot more attention lately, lots of requests to be carried - it is hard. Physically, still having some strange discharge occasionally (peach to brown), and lots of little episodes of BH. I've also started to drop some weight, which is crazy - but I have read it is all signs the end is coming for this pregnancy so I am just working to get things done ASAP! I mean - in the end, we have a bassinet and diapers and wipes, so we'll be fine!

I think we're finally down to three names too - ha! DH bumped Adrienne off the list last time around, once he made the connection to our RE, and I couldn't do Mila with how popular it is right now. So we're left with Janae, Lena and Avery.

Me: 38

DH: 43

June, July, Aug, Sep 2016: IUI. All BFN.

January 2017: IVF #1. 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized. 1 transferred on day 5 - BFP! DD born 10/08/17. heart.gif (2 embryos frozen)

Nov 2018: FET #1. 1 transferred. Chemical pregnancy.

Dect 2018: FET #2. Last embryo transferred. BFN.

April 2019: IVF #2. 16 eggs retrieved, 11 fertilized. 1 transferred on day 5 (5 frozen). Chemical pregnancy again.

Aug 2019: FET #3. 1 transferred - BFP!  Lost HB at 9 week U/S. MMC.  cry.gif

Nov 2019: FET #4. 1 transferred - BFP again! DD due Aug 6/20

#328 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 972 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 02:38 PM

Things are pretty quiet here suddenly - how's everyone doing? Elephantshoes? Elation?

Still going strong here - another check up, nothing exciting. Did learn that I will definitely be alone in hospital after this one is born (DH can likely show up last minute for the birth, but whenever he leaves he won't be allowed back until he is picking me up to go home). It stinks - but we can't leave DD with someone for 2-4 days without any contact with us, for sure. So, I'll be the one to suck it up. I'd like to say I'm confident that it will be fine, with nurses to help, but my last experience with maternal health nurses was pretty terrible so I am anticipating having a rough few days and am just looking forward to being on the other side of this birth and home again with my family.

January 2017: IVF #1. 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized. 1 transferred on day 5 - BFP! DD born 10/08/17. heart.gif (2 embryos frozen)

April 2019: IVF #2. 16 eggs retrieved, 11 fertilized. 1 transferred on day 5 (5 frozen). Chemical pregnancy again.

#329 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 157 posts
  • My Clinic:Mt. Sinai

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

elephantshoes - my thyme order actually arrived today!  I was expecting the worst so that made this feel even faster haha I'm glad I don't have to call the credit card company as I'm sure they are receiving a lot of those calls now.  I did want to make a ring sling, but shipping rings to me seems to take absurd amounts of time so I'll probably just forgo that. 

hope your cottage weekend goes well!! time is really flying and our babies will be here soon!  it's SUPER hot these days so your cottage trip sounds absolutely divine.  for some reason work projects have really been picking up which makes me wish i booked in an earlier leave.

yaena - so sorry! I thought I responded to the thread but clearly I haven't lol pregnancy brain? :P the lil baby has been kicking me non stop and I've been watching my belly ripple around.  I also feel HUGE just because half of my belly is fibroids (and hard) so it's causing me to feel this uncomfortable internal pressure... I'm surprised my belly button hasn't completely inverted.  it's still flat, but dark.  the stretch marks are coming in though and I've been lotioning up like a greasy butterball.

I hate when things aren't returnable and I'm ordering online!  Actually I hate when anything is not returnable... so sucks to hear that one of the dresses was so ugly!  I'm starting to order things for the hospital bag now, trying to see if I need the witch hazel cooling pads, perineal bottles, disposable undies, high waist undies, numbing spray, the rest of the breast pump parts (just have a used motor), boob heat/ice packs? I don't know what I'll need!  I think I'm pretty set for baby stuff too, just a bottle warmer maybe.. I don't even know what to wear IN the hospital!  I do have a crib set up now, baby swings and stroller are in, playard and bassinet... my house is feeling crowded with things!

oh nooo they arent allowing DH to leave and come back?  my hospital seems to be okay with leaving once every 24h (although I'm not quite clear if thats just leaving the room, or leaving the hospital... I understood it as hospital but I should check with my doc next appt. I actually love all your name choices too haha they are unique, but not outlandish or unpronounceable.  of those three, i personally like Lena the best but they are all great imo!  I think DH and I have settled on Grayson.

at the last ultrasound I could actually SEE the lil baby face, which totally surprised me since it was just a normal scan, not a 3d or 4d one.  i think he's stuck in a head down position which means no c-section (unless its emergency).  makes me a little bit anxious but I'm trying to gear myself up to do what nature intended us to do!

Me: 32; DH: 41  |  TTC: 2017  |  Mt Sinai Fertility

Dx: Single partial ovary, dermoid cyst and x-large fibroids

2013 Apr - Left ovary and tube removal from massive dermoid cyst torsion; partial right ovary damage

2017 July - Switch to Mt Sinai from RCC

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2018 Oct - Medicated Cycle BFN

2018 Nov - Medicated Cycle BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 June - Medicated Cycle BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

2019 Nov - IVF #1: 14 retrieved, 11 fertilized, 6 blasts, 4 frozen + 1 3BB transferred BFP!

2020 Aug - Baby boy is here!!

#330 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 972 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 03:46 PM

Elation - haha pregnancy brain (and then baby brain) is SO REAL.

I know people who absolutely swear by the cooling pads - but if you are looking to save money you could also just stick pads in the freezer? Or buy a perineal spray, and then cool pads in the freezer and spray them with that? Double duty! I bought some of the spray in the off chance I have a VBAC, but it is returnable if I don't need it too. I have been living on Prep H wipes now - witch hazel in them - they help with hemorrhoids and I find other areas that are swollen, too. I am not much help on the post partum items since I did the c section and never got milk the first go-round - I was spared a lot of those things, I think.

I am planning to basically pack BIG - snacks and juice boxes and a nightdress or two, all the comforts. Last time, I just wore the gowns and robes the hospital provided, but am thinking I might want to be a little more comfy this time. (Oh - bring socks or slippers! Or slipper socks! Definitely a must.)  I am hopeful that my dr was a little confused on the no leaving policy, but she did say they have really locked things down so maybe not sad.png I mean, one visit a day is all we were hoping for anyhow - for him to come for a couple of hours, give me a break, bond with the baby, that sort of thing. I will have to call and find out myself, directly.

I was kind of hoping for a cervical check today just in case things have started to shift - I have had so many aches and cramps it is unreal - but didn't want to ask. Did my strep swab and that was more than enough action, ha. Things are so swollen that the swab is never pleasant, but at least it is so fast.

I love the name Grayson! A friend named her son (who is nearly 10 I think) that and it is so cute. Our names have shifted - again. We sat down and basically worked through all the lists we had, and have a new frontrunner. I had suggested it early on, DH rejected it - but now he loves it haha. Isla. Our backups are Janae and Maren, final three, no more changing haha. Isla seems to suit her "not here yet" personality, and I am getting a sense that it is the right one though.

#331 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:26 AM

Yaena- 

Isla!!! I love your name choices, you guys have such great taste.  i'm glad you like the name Grayson too, wondered about spelling since I think there are so many ways to spell it... Greyson, Graysen, Greysen?  Zachary as a back up.

Good point, I should just try pads in the freezer instead of buying more things that I may or may not need.  Perineal spray sounds like a good idea though.  Tbh I'm not convinced that I'm not gonna end up with an emergency C-section... my doc seems to have no concerns but I dont know why.  Probably not a good psychological factor for me though already thinking that I won't be able to do it without surgery.

Sorry to hear about all the aches and pains :( I wake up at night with discomforts now.  My uterus apparently likes to flop around because of fibroids and baby being all lopsided.  It feels like pulling from the inside and keeps me up.. and I also get really hot at night.

I want to pack all the things too!  Comfort sounds important here haha I don't really have night gowns though, I just always slept in an oversized tee and shorts/loose pants.  I feel like I won't want pants though... guess I have to go buy a gown or something.  Definitely will bring slippers/socks, thanks for the tip!  I had a dream last night about going to Home Depot to buy new breast pump parts lol.  I also apparently had all the baby things set up and ready to go, and then I already had my baby and was teaching him to breastfeed haha

2013 Apr - Left ovary and tube removal from massive dermoid cyst torsion; partial right ovary damage

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

2019 Nov - IVF #1: 14 retrieved, 11 fertilized, 6 blasts, 4 frozen + 1 3BB transferred BFP!

#332 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 972 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:30 PM

Thanks elation! It's funny, I think if either DH or I got to choose a name on our own it would be terrible. We kind of weed out the less exciting names from each other, haha. The spelling of names can be so tricky too! I like to go with spelling that eliminates the possibility of mispronouncing. For Maren, DH wanted to spell it Merin but I was worried about the pronounciation (and he admitted he would mispronounce it himself except he knew someone who spelled it that way, ha).

Funny - I am pretty convinced that despite all the positive "you are a great candidate" talk about a VBAC, I'll end up with a c section too. I like to think of it as being preparedfor any outcome :)

Oh man - I haven't slept with any covers in a month almost! I feel your pain. (Non-pregnant, I usually sleep with multiple covers because I like the weight!) And aren't pregnancy dreams insane? I have a lot of anxiety-based ones now - I have had a bunch of miscarriage dreams (not that I am losing this baby, but more than I never made it this far). I always wake up and just feel amazed and grateful to be hugely pregnant. (Then I try to get out of bed and my gratitude turns to exhaustion!)

So many aches and pains now. I have started getting pain on the inner thigh/groin area - painful to use my leg for anything (walking, lifting, whatever). There is such a part of me that wants to beg the OB to book the c section for 37 weeks instead of 39 so I can become a better functioning parent, sooner. I feel so bad for DD because I can't do the things she wants - it makes me feel like such a crappy parent.

#333 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:55 PM

Yaena - I think if I chose a name by myself it'd end up being something terrible and video game sounding haha I used to love the name Andariel... who is an enemy demon boss in Diablo lol

I'm trying to be prepared too, but honestly I think it's more of a mental preparation right now.  I just always thought I'd be getting a C because of my prior c-section scar plus the fibroids, but have since been informed thats entirely not necessary.  So just to switch mindsets.  I just cannot believe a baby is supposed to come out down there!  So I totally hear you on wanting to just schedule a C, but if my doc doesn't recommend it... then I feel like I'm being too extra.  

Also feeling you with the aches and pains! Yesterday I was hit with a round of extremely intense fibroid pain.  It felt kinda like degeneration pain, but in a different spot (which makes sense, the fibroids have moved I believe, to make room for baby growth.  It was so debilitating, I couldn't breathe or move.  AND the baby started kicking around which made it so much worse.  I took my two extra strength tylenol and tried to live lol it went away after a couple hours of staying completely still, but that sucked!

While I haven't woken up from calf cramps, I am getting the muscle cramp on the bottom of my foot, right at the arch!! I was putting laundry away and just spasmed out :( hurt so much!  I've been taking my magnesium too, body whyyy do you do this!

I hope your DD isnt making you feel too guilty or like a crappy parent!  I think its more on our own psychological reasons for feeling that way, even though you know you are doing the best you can.  Hang in there!  Almost at the finish line now :)

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

#334 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 972 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:31 PM

Elation - haha, isn't it funny how we all have our niche for picking names? I tend to choose from names I saw on tv (my top pick was Naima, a contestant from like 10 years ago on Top Model). DH goes for what I call cheerleader names (Jessica, Samantha, etc). My mom picked her favorites from romance novels (she admitted that for years she wanted to name a daughter Manderly - thank goodness that wasn't my name!).

I totally agree about the mental game at this stage. You know what's strange? Knowing that DH wouldn't be with me for labour both scares AND comforts me. I find the idea of potentially hours of hard labour alone scary - but the fact DH won't see all the things is comforting, ha. I still haven't really decided what to do, but figure if I go into labour early, I will make the decision in that moment.

And right? Our bodies are so mean to us at this stage of pregnancy! Those arch cramps are awful! I don't get them much but have before and I think they are worse than calf cramps, at least in the moment! And those fibroids have put you through hell. :( (I also believe babies know exactly the worst moments to kick.) I am officially limping now because of whatever inner thigh/groin muscle/ligament issue is happening - can't put full weight on the leg. My hands are basically numb half the day or more. I like to say I have one good limb - my left leg - except when my sciatica acts up, because it affects my left leg. Thankfully that isn't too frequent. DD has had way more screen time than I like, but she is a super active kid - wants me to race her around the house, jump with her, carrying her  (she weighs about 40lbs now). I just can't do it. I talked to DH today and he is asking if he can do more working from home for the next couple of weeks - and officially will be off the week of the 27th, until probably November or so. So, there is an end in sight. If he can't work from home, I think I am going to use a service to hire a sitter for a couple mornings a week. I just want DD to get more activity and be less bored.

#335 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:20 PM

Yaena - I cannot IMAGINE trying to run around after a toddler like this!  You are a true champ.  It's good that reinforcements are coming in soon though!  My leave doesnt start until the second week of August so there's still a while to go.  Work is really cracking the whip though, squeezing the last ounces of juice out of me.

Manderly, that's definitely one I've never heard of before!  I think I would have ended up as Melody or Stephanie.  I'm not in LOVE with my name, but it's not really that common either.  I personally think it's kind of an old lady name haha but thats okay.  Naima is such a pretty name!  I used to love watching ANTM too haha was she the one in the shoot with the seven deadly sins?  That was neat.  One of the episodes I remember the most too was the one where they all wore bald caps haha

I haven't even thought about the whole L&D process, or what might bring comforts or not.  My hospital gave me a birth plan sheet to check off preferences such as what I want husband to do, or how baby should be handled, what I want out of pain meds, etc.  Pretty much checked off all the pain med options for as soon as possible, and that the husband will do whatever I can't (cut the cord, change the first diaper, be the first to hold him, etc).

Oh man sorry to hear your limbs are ALL causing you pain!! I started getting some of the arm numbness too last night, but thankfully it seems to have receded.  The foot though... I can feel that muscle when I walk and it feels terrrrible!

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

#336 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 972 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:58 PM

Elation - I had totally forgotten about that photo shoot! Ha! I had to look it up. I vaguely remembered the bald cap one but looked it up too. Ha. Honestly, I was probably half drunk for most of the episodes (a group of friends and I would get together, drink wine, watch and occasionally mock - there was a season one of my friends looked SO much like a contestant, minus about five inches of height, it was hilarious!)

That must be brutal with your feet! I know I have still been able to feel calf cramps the next day or two, if they are really bad - I can't even imagine that on my feet! Yuck. My legs are both feeling a lot better today, but my arms are shot. I had to give up on doing my hair in the mornings - it hurts too much to hold a brush and blow dryer, so I struggle and comb it out then just tie it back for the day. Save the effort for when I have appointments and have to go out in public.

I love that your hospital gives you the birth plan sheet! What a great idea. As far as I know, mine does nothing! I mean, I remember showing up in labour for DD and no one asked me anything about what I wanted - I might have been hollering for an epidural, but that was about it. Honestly I felt totally in the dark about most of the process, and felt like I was just going along with whatever they told me.

Crap, all this reminds me I still need to get my pre-op paperwork completed. The OB sent it to me around week 30, and I haven't bothered/remembered to take it to one of my appointments yet. I am also waiting to be called in for an in person OB appointment still - she said probably a couple of weeks before the scheduled c, so that would be in about a week and a half.

#337 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:57 PM

Yaena - Watching ANTM drunk is probably the best way to do it haha I had it on in the background while I'd do work.  I always liked how creative the photoshoots were and how funny the behind the scenes could be.  That would be so funny to watch if you had a friend who looked like one of the contestants! We'd just have favourites and root / mock other's favourites :P

Yeah the foot cramp makes me limp around.. I can't even walk the dogs when it's bad.  I usually like wearing Birks for that but the arch support really digs into the crampy muscle :'(  more magnesium I guess!  And more electrolytes and potassium I guess.  Soemone told me to drink pickle juice haha

I was pretty impressed with the birth plan sheet too!  I'm supposed to fill it out and bring it back next week for them to go over and discuss with me.  I didn't even know laughing gas was an option (although I hear in COVID times, this may not be a thing).  I watched a prenatal webinar and wow.  It's kinda terrifying me.  It was talking about episiotomies and how epidurals go in... ahhhh..... I kinda feel like being in the dark and going along could be better than visualizing all the things that theyre slicing and prodding me with.

Wow time for delivery prep is coming up quick!! I'm due at the end of August so I've still got a bit more time, but I haven't finished my hospital bag yet.  I should probably do that the next couple of weeks.  I think I have everything, just need to put it together.  I want to buy some favourite snacks and bars too though and that I haven't done.  I'd probably eat them before then tbh haha I also still don't know what I'm going to leave the hospital in.  Pants are gonna suck? So maybe I should get a loose dress? Nursing dress?

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

#338 elephantshoes

elephantshoes
  • Cyclebase
  • 869 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:01 PM

Hi Guys!!!  Sorry, didn't mean to disappear!  We were at a cottage with friends for the past week in a provincial park and with 7 kids from 2 through 9 it was a gong show (as always) (also, don't do the math - we broke the bubble - but were all tested prior to being bad).  We had a great time, but I think this kid is about to fall out of me.  I literally have been sitting on my butt since March and at the cottage I must have walked over a km each day (which I know sounds pathetic!).

Am just about to go finish packing my hospital bag and DH is picking up our 'perishable' food for the hospital as I speak!

My 6 year old turns 7 tomorrow so we're trying to scrape a party together for her as well...and all I want to do is sit.

My last two times in the hospital I wore jogging pants and old tank tops that I could pull my boobs out of easily....nothing fancy for me.  And, I don't look back on any of the pics and say 'geez I wish I dressed up a bit more or had pretty pjs', but that's the kind of person that I am.  Hot mess & proud of it!

My one recommendation would be to bring flip flops if there is any doubt that might not get your own private room.  The showers can get pretty gross in the semi private rooms - apparently some people think it's a-ok to leave shared showers a mess (and it can get quite gross - sorry!). I never used padsicles, but I also got away with one stitch each time so wasn't in a terrible amount of pain.  I LOVED my Depends - strip them off, throw them out - fantastic!  No yucky laundry to do!

When I get a chance I'll try to read back through the emails and commiserate!  I ended up sleeping on an air mattress at the cottage as the bed was too firm and somehow knocked my jaw out of alignment one night.  I feel like someone clocked me on the side of the head, have had constant jaw throbbing and a headache for the past three days - awesome. 

FET 1 - 1 blast, BFN

FET 3 - 2 blasts, BFN

Immune testing - NK cells too high, LADs too low - 3 LITS + IVIG recommended and completed

BETA #1 - 10dp5dt 252

BETA #2 - 12dp5dt 559

everything is crossed...

BETA #1 - 13dp5dt 420

#339 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:48 PM

Elephantshoes - the cottage sounds amazing and with 7 kids I can completely imagine the gong show haha honestly I can't believe you're doing so much walking (over 1km sounds legendary right now).  Me walking around the block makes my feet hurt and I think they are swelling too now :( they were tingling all night.  Wussy feet!

Oooh can I ask what food you're packing for the hospital?  I know I want jerky - my husband dehydrates some really good stuff but I've been avoiding it all pregnancy!  I'd love to bring cheese, but that probably wont hold up too well... I think I also want instant noodles.. and pringles haha Clif bars would probably be a good idea.  I also want like, a vat of cherry tomatoes lol that's been my jam this whole pregnancy.  I guess electrolyte drinks and some sugar would be a good idea for energy boosters too?

Thanks for the tip! Definitely will be packing flipflops and disposable undies.  Wow one stitch!  I hope I get so lucky :)  I think my hospital is very hit or miss with the availability of rooms so i'm at the mercy of higher powers when I go in.  Are you ladies doing anything special for newborn outfits?

Oh noooo jaw pain is SO annoying- it gets away of talking and eating and drinking, all the important things haha my left arm is going numb from sleeping on that side every night. It aches to raise it now.  I really want to just sleep on my back.  Baby has also been hiccuping a lot lately, at least once a day this past week.

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

#340 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 972 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:45 PM

elephantshoes - A week away sounds amazing! But yes, busy with so many kids too!

I am also curious what sorts of snacks people are packing! Elation, yours sound so healthy :) Much better than mine (granola bars, peanut M&Ms, apple juice and dried fruit sticks).

How did the party go? How is your jaw feeling?

Elation, how are the fibroids?

I empathize with those of you facing room uncertainty - that is what it was like with DD#1 (standard was a ward room - 8 beds - and you could pay to upgrade to a semi or a private or a "deluxe" - bigger private - if they had any available). I was able to get a private, thankfully - especially since DD was in the NICU, if I'd had to share with someone who had their baby in room with them it would have been way too emotional (as it was I cried every time I heard another baby crying). This time around they have a new children's/maternal hospital built, with only private rooms. (And, if I end up labouring/doing a VBAC, you labour/deliver/stay in the same room now - before you went from assessment, to delivery, then got moved to a whole different floor for your stay). Funniest part for me is that, when I was in hospital with my first, my room had a view of the new hospital being built.

Nothing new here. Lots and lots of off and on cramps, my legs are big and swollen and I have cankles. Ha. All the same as last time though. I think the little one has dropped a bit - I am waddling more and feel like she could fall out when I go up the stairs, but no real signs that anything is coming soon. I was re-reading posts from this point with #1, and realized how similar it all is. I think I might make it to my c section date after all. My biggest signs for DD#1 were a sudden drop in swelling, and increase in nausea and BMs. I only have the nausea right now, and don't feel it is reliable at all!

#341 elephantshoes

elephantshoes
  • Cyclebase
  • 869 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:47 PM

With my first we were at North York (for you Toronto peeps) and I was told that it would take a miracle to get a private room after being moved from the birthing suit.  Because I laboured for 24hrs, we became fast friends with the nurses so they were kind enough to put us in a semi private with no one else the first night, but we still couldn't move past our side of the room.  DH and I ended up sleeping together in the one person hospital bed because we were both so exhausted.  The second night they brought another couple into the room and we checked out at 1am even though we were allowed to stay - not interested in hearing them talk, their baby cry etc etc.

For #2, we were at Markham Stouffville because our (new) RE practices out of there and to be quite honest, the 40 mins it takes us to get there on the 407 is often more welcome than the 40 mins it can take to get into Toronto in rush hour traffic!  We were completely unaware though that there was an e-coli outbreak at the hospital and they lost their first and only 'mom' patient one or two days before our arrival so everyone was on lockdown.  But (unfortunately partly because of this) we got our private room and it was amazing!  We ended up staying an extra day because I'm GBS + and hadn't had enough antibiotics so they wanted to monitor the baby one more night.  DH ran out for pizza and sub runs, went to a friends house for a beer, had his own bed....it was like a mini vacation :)  I'm hoping that because of Covid, they'll do the same thing and lock us in our room until we can go - I'd be more than happy for a repeat of last time (minus a few details - but am already super sad knowing there'll be no take-out food runs!).

So, for our food bag I've packed:

instant noodles (we're bringing a kettle)

instant oatmeal

flavoured tuna (I like the Thai chili ones)

pepperettes

chocolate (cuz why not)

popcorn

instant coffee and creamer (blah)

apple juice, pop

hummas + veggies + pita chips (basically whatever is in the fridge at the time)

pasta salad (big one)

muffins (if I get around to making them)

and fingers are crossed that we'll be able to whip some subs in there on the way to the hospital (I LOVE assorted subs) 

I have no idea if it will be enough.  And I'm pretty sure that he can't use the cafeteria on the premises....but they also can't let him starve to death, so there's got to be some sort of 'you didn't plan very well' back-up....maybe jello and ice chips lol....welcome to our world!

Let me know if you come up with anything else yummy that's relatively shelf stable :)

FET 1 - 1 blast, BFN

FET 3 - 2 blasts, BFN

BETA #1 - 10dp5dt 252

BETA #2 - 12dp5dt 559

everything is crossed...

BETA #1 - 13dp5dt 420

#342 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 972 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:26 PM

Whoa! I am totally impressed by how extensive your food packing is elephantshoes! (But I mean - if you are locked in a room, with little to no food for your partner - then yeah, you need to think of that stuff right?).

Private rooms really are amazing. DH didn't stay with me in ours until the very last night with #1, because she wasn't in the room with me either. He did stay with us the night they moved her up and in with me - but crappy conditions at our old hospital. The rooms were small, and he got a sleeping mat to put on the floor. I was funny and loved the hospital food - I suspect it'll be the same this time since I will finally not be puking up everything. With #1, I was there over Thanksgiving and they even gave me a turkey dinner with pie.

This time around, I know the rooms all have couches for partners to sleep on (not sure if it pulls out or not), and the rooms look bigger thankfully, since they are designed for both birthing and maternal care. And - SO HAPPY - I called today and got confirmation DH will be allowed to come and go! Basically, I can designate up to 2 people as my supports, and they don't get locked in with me - just, only those two are allowed to come in ever. The nurse I spoke with was incredibly sweet, and really encouraged me to think of a second person to be with me too, with DH can't. It means I won't pack as many treats, because DH knows every visit requires a Starbucks in his hand and probably some sort of snack, haha. I am trying to be pretty careful though - I didn't struggle at all with constipation post c-section last time, but I also hadn't struggled nearly as much as I did this pregnancy with it (I think it was gone by the end of the first trimester first time around - this time it has been absolutely brutal the whole way, and there is no way I want to do anything to make it worse with a c section incision!).

I am hoping the hospital policy stays this good, since we seem to have had a little explosion of new cases this weekend. We were getting around 5 per day (for the province - keep in mind though, we only have a million people in the entire province!). Then, today's update said there have been 56 since Friday! (No weekend updates.) From 5 to 56? I hope people start putting their masks on again - the province says it is seeing an increase in community transmission too. Just people not knowing they have it and lots of people not being safe.

Felt really crappy today - I am in that "I wonder if I feel crappy because" frame of mind all the time, even though I am not quite 37 weeks yet. After three weeks of 0 gain, I put on 3 lbs (still not a big deal of course). My feet puffed up big time in the last two days - ankle rolls, little rectangular blocks for feet. Nothing helps them. I had some serious lower back pressure today, and constant mild cramping. This evening, I got chills and thought i might pass out - spent some time horizontal until I thought i could get up, threw up my regular 2-4 times, took some tylenol and Zofran, and am feeling steadier now. Still glad I have an appointment in the morning, just in case.

#343 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:35 PM

Yaena - my ribs have been absolutely KILLING me lately.  On one day it’ll be the left side where all the fibroids are, another day it’ll be the baby kicking that causes the sharp pains… and then back to the other side the next day. Ahh.  I’ve resorted to Tylenol, but have been avoiding the morphine for now.

Yeah I’m worried about ending up in the standard ward room.  My insurance fortunately covers a semi-private with upgrade potential, but last time I was admitted for OHSS they had to put me in a ward room.  It just felt so crowded and noisy, I can’t even imagine with a baby.  Your new hospital sounds amazing!! The delivery room is the same as the one you recover in?  Magical.

I have swollen cankles now and sometimes my hands feel blocky, like making a fist is tight haha I’m not sure if I’m waddling because of the cankles, or the rib pain, or baby dropping (I’m still 3 weeks behind you!).  Sorry to hear you’re still going through the bouts of nausea every day!  That sounds really trying.

Awesome to hear that your hospital’s policy is so good now!  Ontario is in the low 100s now which is pretty good for Toronto I think.  Stage 3 opening won’t be happening where I’m around until after they assess how it goes with more remote areas I think.

How was your appointment this morning?

Elephantshoes - my friend delivered at NYGH too, and the best she could get was a semi-private, but with someone else.  At least a semi to yourself feels more quiet and private!  I am actually pretty close to MSH but because I was at the fertility clinic downtown, they referred me into their high risk program downtown and I’m facing the 40+ min of rush hour traffic.  I work downtown though so before COVID, the visits were actually really convenient!  Now, not so much haha and I worry about the commute when labour starts etc.  The MSH suite sounds amazing though!  My friend delivered in the new ward at Rouge Valley and she had a big private room where her DH had his own chair-converts-to-bed and the furniture was all wood trimmed and nice.. I have no idea what I’m going to end up with in Mt Sinai! They are known for running out of private rooms apparently.

Love your food list!! I’m definitely adding pepperettes and flavoured tuna to mine.  And the instant coffee seems like a good idea as blah as it is.  DH likes the Starbucks VIA stuff in a pinch.  Hummus and pita! Pasta salad!  So many great ideas. I see you’ve thought this through haha I think with maybe stage 3 happening soon in other areas of the province they may become a bit more lenient on in/out privileges?

I have a follow up tomorrow so I guess I’ll get a chance to address some of the pains I’ve been feeling and how much worse this is going to get…

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

#344 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 972 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:14 PM

Ugh rib pain Elation? I feel so fortunate I have been spared that with both my girls - they preferred to headbutt more than kick, ha. I have always thought rib kicks sounded miserable.

Appointment today went okay. I am a little frustrated my doctor doesn't seem concerned with the nerve pain at all - though I get there really isn't anything to do about it. I guess I am kind of wishing that considering my age (just a few months shy of 40), the crazy nerve pain, and apparently borderline high BP (this week I was totally fine, but I have been floating in the 145/75 range for the month or two before that) - they would bump up my c section for me. Even a week. I don't want this baby out before she is fully cooked, but I also want to consider my health and sanity. 38.5 weeks is only a couple of days before full term, and she is already average to high average in size, by all estimates.

Otherwise everything is healthy - she says baby is exactly positioned as they would hope/expect right now. No cervical check yet, but no signs that labour will come early that she can see.

#345 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:51 AM

Yaena - the rib kicks ARE miserable! But I also would think that head butting cannot be comfortable either.  Thankfully he’s kinda laid off with the high kicks recently, but I’ve been having trouble sleeping from the sheer weight of everything in the belly. I can definitely feel/see him growing bigger!

My c-section hold tentative date is also at 38.5 weeks, but at this rate I really doubt they’re going to keep it for me.. Can you be direct with your doc and air your concerns with her/him?  I’ve brought up my concerns almost every time with mine just because of new pains or new fears, but he keeps reassuring me that he thinks natural is best, though we can hold the spot for another two weeks.  From what I’m told at my hospital, it’s very hard to get c-section booking times so moving it up wouldn’t even be an option unless there was some sort of serious urgency. Perhaps that’s the case in your hospital to?

Glad to hear everything is healthy otherwise! Also have a well positioned baby (except I’m only at week 34.5).  I had a couple of leg and foot cramps even through my magnesium supplements though!!  So annoying.

I just ordered sunshades for the car, black out curtains for the nursery, and new breast pump parts.  I’m also maaaybe looking into affordable but stylish diaper backpacks on Amazon and wondering what’s worth it.  I feel like being stylish probably takes away from some practicality haha but any tips?

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

#346 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 972 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:53 AM

Elation - a good diaper bag is a must! I bought one with DD that was MASSIVE and so I never used it except when we took a cross country flight. This time around I spent a small fortune on this one:

https://www.amazon.c...UTF8&psc=1&th=1

Not crazy about the print but, it was about $80 cheaper to get the floral than the solid black and I thought that made it worth it! I think anything with a backpack option is awesome though!

I am SO jealous they are holding a 38.5 week slot for you! They wouldnt even try to find a time for me before 39, and since that was the Thursday before a long weekend, I automatically got bumped to 39w5d - without looking or trying for sooner. I think things are fairly busy here, but have been told if there is a physical reason to bump it up, it would happen. (And also, if I happen to go into labour before my time slot, I can always just say I want a c section when I arrive and I will get one - just might have to wait a bit). With all the nerve pain - and swelling (I have some serious pitting edema now) - andi found out for the last month my BP was around 145/80 - I think I have a shot. I feel like my GP, as great as she is, just sweeps so much under the rug with youll be glad not to be pregnant! Without considering or addressing the problems. I have severely limited use of my hands now - rarely get more than a few hours sleep total in a night with all the wake up from the pain - and she didnt once bring up that BP to me. After a few weeks of no weight gain, I have put on about five pounds this week too. I am really hoping to be safe, they will bump me up to the 38.5 mark and deliver next week - as terrifying as that is too!

Anyhow, I will find out tomorrow! OB is tomorrow morning - with two emails of safety instructions to follow, haha. I am looking forward to the appointment though, and hope I will feel more reassured one way or another after! DH is working from home this week, and done after that for a few months (some vacation and then parental leave). We got a real start on the nursery finally this weekend - just need to move in the crib and rocking chair, and get the bassinet set up in the master. Hospital bag is packed too!

#347 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:55 AM

Yaena - thanks for the tip!  I guess backpack is definitely the way to go (and probably even more so with two kids haha) I know that these stylish bags are probably not husband friendly though.  I think he can just use a hiking backpack with a cooler in it or something though.. hehe

They put the 38.5 spot on hold, but I dont think theyre going to let me use it :'(  but wow! You can say you want a c-section on arrival and they'll acquiesce? Thats neat haha I feel like even me asking now, the docs are .. strongly encouraging me to not.  I'm not even sure I have a say at all if I really really wanted one.  My bp is 91/51 the last time they checked, so they're just having me coast along.

Oh my!! Is the carpal tunnel that bad now?  I'm so sorry to hear that, it sounds terrible!! One of my friends had that at the end of her pregnancy and she was straight up miserable.  Can the doctors do anything about it?  I wake up at night too all the time from belly pains (I think the fibroids and baby are really pulling at everything inside for space...) and I had to pee like, 4 times last night, but the pain resolves when I stand up to go to the bathroom.  Can ice packs/baths help with the hands?

My hospital bag is about ready too!  They told me to bring the breast pump so I'm just waiting for those parts to come in.  I haven't packed snacks yet, but baby bag (messenger style lol) is also ready.  I'm 3 weeks behind you but still getting anxious at the thought of baby coming soon!  My nursery is still a mess too, need to really clean up this pile of hand-me-downs and random gifts.  I do love shopping for baby things though, stuff is usually so cute!  Especially thinking about silly things like first outfits haha

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

#348 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 972 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:47 PM

91/51 - whoa. That was my BP when I ran a half marathon, haha. It hasn't been that low since! Sorry to hear the pain wakes you up too - my tip for avoiding nighttime pee breaks is to stop drinking by about three or four hours before bed. It's tough though because you need to get all your fluids in earlier in the day and that is a lot of day drinking.

Yeah, the cubital tunnel is wicked now. (With ulnar nerve they call it cubital tunnel - basically just affects a dfferent nerve, and different fingers then). I am going insane with it - my hands are numb at least half the day (as soon as I bend my elbows for something, my hands go number - and it is both arms now). I was getting these sharp stabs of nerve pain at random in one forearm yesterday. And sleeping with my arms straight is HARD. When I manage it, my hands balloon with swelling overnight. My knuckles are all swollen and tight and it is hard to make a fist now. I drop things a lot. I know that if this isn't fixed in the long term, I can actually have permanent damage - I just don't know if pregnancy is short enough to avoid it, right? And my doctor totally glosses over it - in one breath she tells me to just try and keep my arms straight at my sides, but in the next she says to alleviate the swelling, I should hold my arms over my head and clench and unclench my hands. Which are basically contradictory things and so helping one condition means worsening the other. I go back and forth all day long like a crazy person (my toddler is totally entertained though). My GP friend says I have a chance at getting the date moved up - both for the physical concerns and the fact that they are definitely taking a toll on my mental health at this point. I mean - I don't want to force this baby out sooner than she can handle the world, of course - but she needs to have a healthy and capable mom waiting at the other end too. From what I have read, there isn't a significant difference in outcomes for c sections at 38 vs 39 weeks (more difference at 37 vs 39). I feel comfortable with it.

Yes!  What I was told is, if you have a c section booked but go into labour before that date, you can request a c section instead of labouring. But you need to have the elective one booked to qualify. It makes sense - here, they really push you as late as possible for an elective c (my understanding is never before 39 weeks), so there are definitely going to be women who go into labour first. If they won't bump my date up a bit, I will just keep downing my red raspberry leaf tea and doing squats in an effort to make labour happen sooner haha. Although honestly, I haven't 100% decided what I would do if i went into labour naturally first. It was so painful with DD (thanks to a lack of progression and back labour the whole way) - I wouldn't do that again, by myself. But if the contractions were 'normal" and things were progressing faster, I think there is a decent chance I would. Maybe.

And yes! Backpacks are awesome for diaper bags. For DD, we actually typically only used a little sling backpack from MEC on most trips - and then tossed in a cooler bag if we needed to bring a bottle. For slightly longer trips we used a regular backpack, and then for long haul things we used the massive diaper bag (which was a shoulder sling version). DH still uses the sling pack for her when they go out together - fits a change of clothes, some snacks, a soother or two (since we haven't managed to get that away from her yet), and his wallet/cell phone. He doesn't care that it is purple, haha. But yes, he always has preferred backpack style and hated carrying the one with the shoulder strap. Oh, and I bought my own travel change pad because the ones that came with the diaper bags were always so small (but I had a big squirmy baby within a few weeks so - smaller babies would be fine maybe).

Man, my sweet tooth has set in big time this week. I want chocolate. ALL the time. Not cheap chocolate but the expensive Lindt kind. I am packing one in my hospital bag too!

#349 elation

elation
  • Global 100+
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:39 PM

I’m not sure why my bp is so low!  I heard magnesium perhaps can lower bp but also maybe my poor iron levels.  And true, I should probably stop drinking water before bed, but sometimes I just get so thirsty and feel like I shouldn’t deprive myself since I’ve never been good at staying hydrated.  Getting up fixes some of the pain problems too I guess so… maybe just something I’ll suffer through for now

Yikes, that cubital tunnel sounds disastrous!  I feel like they should pay closer attention to this if there’s a risk of permanent damage!! Is there a splint you can perhaps McGyver together to keep your sleeping self from making it worse?  My friends carpel tunnel went away after pregnancy, so hopefully this will be something you look back and just shake your head at.  I do think that’s a super important point that’s glossed over too often - baby needs a capable and healthy mom when she’s out!  I really hope you can have a healthy C sooner rather than later…

And wow, I definitely did not know that about the elective C, I wonder if I’m eligible.  I think my booking is almost purely medical and nothing to do with it being elective, and also that my OB doesn’t feel I should go down that route.  I don’t know if it’s silly either but… I’m a little bit scared of inductions.  I’ve heard from a friend that the stretch and sweep is painful and I’m already struggling enough as it is!  Then another friend went in for an induction and ended up having an emergency C!  I don’t think its good for mental health to hear about all these horror stories so close to delivery… maybe I should read Ina May Gaskin’s Childbirth book.  Full of wonderful stories of natural-ish deliveries.  Come 37 weeks I think I’ll hunt down red raspberry leaf tea and start eating spicy food.

I do have hiking backpacks too that I could use, and while they are definitely practical, not as cute.  I think the only reason I’m hung up on a stylish one is because my friend got one and now I’m envious!  Maybe I’ll poke around on marketplace in case I don’t actually find it as functional as I think I will.  Fyi - I saw a decent sized $4 travel diaper change mat at Dollarama by Mommy Knows Best (this one to be exact: https://mommyknowsbe...r-changing-mats) Seems like decent value!

My sweet tooth is sinking in too now (I LOVE ice cream) and tbh, I’m getting self conscious… People who see me think that I’m due any day now and when I tell them I still have a month to go, their eyes pop out and then mine pop out with theirs and it’s just awkward for everyone.  I know the OHSS fluid and fibroids have made my belly much larger than it should be (stretch marks remind me so), but it makes me feel even more like a potato.  I know “it’ll all be worth it” and “wear your stripes with pride!”, but I can’t help but want to hide.

2018 Jun - IUI #1 BFN

2019 May - IUI #2 BFN

2019 Aug - IUI #3 BFN 

#350 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 972 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 02:25 PM

Yeah, I am beginning to wonder if cubital tunnel is more rare than I thought. It is super painful and detracts from my ability to function - yet none of my doctors can suggest anything helpful and are pretty non-sympathetic to it too. It is incredibly frustrating.

I had my appointment with the OB today and didn't even bring up speeding up the c section because she was definitely NOT sympathetic. It was - lots of movement? yes. So everything is good then! well, no - I am still throwing up daily and can't feel my hands half the day, actually. Oh, too bad - lots of movement? I gave up. The assistant had also asked if I wanted a cervical check and I said yes, but then the OB was about to walk out without doing one. Uhhh.. I don't like to sit without drawers on, with a paper sheet, just for kicks lady. Check my darn cervix please. (Which she did when I asked again - and sadly, I am only 1cm and 75% effaced - which is a little sooner than with DD but I was really hoping for "oh wow, you're already 3cm!" haha.)

My BP is a concern - they took it twice and the lower reading was 144/81, so I have been instructed to get a home BP cuff and check it every day or two. I am not entirely sure what to make of that though - because it has been in the 145 range for well over a month and no one has really done anything about it. It worries me, because I have a cousin who was never diagnosed with preeclampsia until she had full blown eclampsia (her husband woke up to her having a seizure in bed beside him, and she had to be rushed to hospital by ambulance and have an emergency c section). I just hope it doesn't get any worse in the next week or so.

I understand the self consciousness so well, elation. I feel the same way. I kind of hit my "peak largeness" a couple of weeks ago, about where you are now - and was so embarrassed, but have been relieved to not get bigger since then. I don't go out beyond doctors and my backyard, and avoid people. I mean - people really need to learn to control their faces better, right? If someone had just eaten a dozen pizzas, would people give them the same "WHOA" look? Gah. Hang in there. It will go away so fast.

I hear you on the diaper bags too. There was one I really, really wanted to get because a friend had it - the gorgeous brown leather bag that looked more like a purse, but with diaper bag functionality. And then I saw it cost around $300 and it broke my heart. But the way I see it, you go through pregnancy. You deliver that baby. And you are the one primarily responsible for him for the first weeks if not months. If you want a pretty diaper bag - you earned it. Buy it. We have to treat ourselves sometimes!

How's everyone else doing?