BCMom
  • Global 100+
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Nature, reading, gardening, hiking, pets
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Victoria fertility clinic

Posted 21 December 2019 - 01:43 PM

Hi everybody,

Im looking for any input and opinions, information about assisted hatching....
PCRM just bought the Victoria fertility clinic in BC and changes are happening. Last FET i was recommended to do and did assisted hatching but now apparently PCRM does not reccomend it. I have heard it is beneficial for older women which i am one of...
Thanks fir your input....i am confused and unsure what to do especially since last time i miscarried....could assisted hatching have damaged the embryo?

Tang71  

#2 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 970 posts
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:40 PM

Hi BCMom -

I have asked my RE a few questions about assisted hatching, since it is recommended/standard practice at my clinic if the woman is 38 or older. I was told that by that age, the embryo tends to have a harder "shell" (not sure what the right term is), and assisted hatching helps with that. It also can improve implantation rates. I also have read that if not done properly, assisted hatching can damage the embryo. It also comes with a slightly increased risk of multiples.

Personally we've done it since they started recommending it - but we have never been 100% sure (and how can you be, right? Not like you can take the same embryo and compare it both ways).

Me: 38

DH: 43

June, July, Aug, Sep 2016: IUI. All BFN.

January 2017: IVF #1. 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized. 1 transferred on day 5 - BFP! DD born 10/08/17. heart.gif (2 embryos frozen)

Nov 2018: FET #1. 1 transferred. Chemical pregnancy.

Dect 2018: FET #2. Last embryo transferred. BFN.

April 2019: IVF #2. 16 eggs retrieved, 11 fertilized. 1 transferred on day 5 (5 frozen). Chemical pregnancy again.

Aug 2019: FET #3. 1 transferred - BFP!  Lost HB at 9 week U/S. MMC.  cry.gif

Nov 2019: FET #4. 1 transferred - BFP again! DD due Aug 6/20

#3 prarie_faerie

prarie_faerie
  • 83 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Aurora Fertility

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:10 PM

YanaSK and I go to the same clinic in Saskatchewan I believe. But at Aurora, it is standard practice for all women to do assisted hatching, not just older. For reference I'm 27 years old and the assisted hatching was built right into the cost of my FET and was on standard FET consent form. I wasn't offered it as a choice, it's just what is done at my clinic across the board I guess🤔
I was worried about it too as I've read it can damage the embryo causing implantation to fail. I have also read same thing as you YaenaSK, that as we age the outside of egg becomes tougher and so assisted hatching can help increase odds of implantation in older women if done correctly.
If you have concerns about it definitely talk to your doctor, it seems clinics across Canada all have slightly different practices based off of various studies and their own personal findings with patient success, but they should be open to ultimately doing what you feel most comfortable with

Me: 27  DH: 27   Diagnosis: Unexplained

• Started TTC: Jan. 2017
  • First medicated IUI: July 2019= BFN
  • Second medicated IUI: August 2019 = BFN
  • IVF/ICSI: Dec 2019 = 4 conventional IVF blastocysts + 3 ICSI blastocysts,  frozen at 5 days. No fresh transfer due to OHSS
  • First FET: Jan. 2020 = BFP resulting in a pregnancy loss at 7 weeks

#4 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 970 posts
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

I should clarify, Praire_Faerie! It is standard practice at Aurora for all FETs, regardless of age (like you said) - it is only standard when the woman is 38 or older during a fresh transfer cycle, unless they have changed their practices since our IVF in May. (Always possible, things are changing so quickly!) My bad! (BTW, even though it's on the form you can choose to not consent to that portion, at least during fresh cycles. We questioned it for both our fresh transfer and our first FET, which was before I was 38.

Thanks for pointing that part out!

Me: 38

DH: 43

June, July, Aug, Sep 2016: IUI. All BFN.

January 2017: IVF #1. 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized. 1 transferred on day 5 - BFP! DD born 10/08/17. heart.gif (2 embryos frozen)

Nov 2018: FET #1. 1 transferred. Chemical pregnancy.

Dect 2018: FET #2. Last embryo transferred. BFN.

April 2019: IVF #2. 16 eggs retrieved, 11 fertilized. 1 transferred on day 5 (5 frozen). Chemical pregnancy again.

Aug 2019: FET #3. 1 transferred - BFP!  Lost HB at 9 week U/S. MMC.  cry.gif

Nov 2019: FET #4. 1 transferred - BFP again! DD due Aug 6/20