Using donor sperm without spousal consent - Ask The Fertility Lawyer - IVF.ca Forums

Photo

Using donor sperm without spousal consent

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rhurhu

rhurhu
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Immunological

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:28 PM

I've been struggling with RPL for 3 years then infertility for another 4 years. I am turning 44 in a few days. I've wanting to leave my husband for the past few years and finally in June this year, he said yes. However, one of his very unreasonable demands is to detroy my precious 3 embryos I had gone through more than 10 IVF cycles to get. The question of whether I can still use the embryos is for another day.

Right now, I am still trying to do 2 fresh IVF cycles. Is it possible to use donor sperm to create embryos without my husband's consent? He said he will not give consent and legally we are still married. It feels like an impossible position to be in and my biological time is certainly running out. Sometimes I feel the only path for me is to stay in the marriage under his misery.

Thanks so much for any advice!

#2 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 322 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:59 PM

This is a very hairy situation. My gut is to say it's your body, your choice, especially if you're funding it with your own income, but I wonder if it would legally complicate the divorce. I imagine it also hinges on the laws and case precedent in your province. I don't even know that a standard divorce lawyer could help you because this is such a special case.

#3 annatarz79

annatarz79
  • Global 100+
  • 243 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 19 October 2019 - 01:30 AM

I suppose your clinic should have a legal team that might be able to help you. I doubt that You are the first person to consider something like this. It is worth asking them if they know a way out.