Single Female, 40+ Need Advice- New Here

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ancela

Ancela
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:36 AM

Hi, I've been wanting to have a family. But it didn't turn out great for me, so now, left as single.

Had some test done before when I was in my early 30's but doctor recommend IVF back then as they said I have unexplained infertility, they told us before to try IUI or IVF, by my partner back then doesn't like the idea so we never push with the procedure.

A couple of years now at 40,by myself I want to start and begin a life with a baby and as a Single Mother. If anyone could give me advice on which path to take and what to do. I used to be a patient at Heartland Fertility Clinic here in Winnipeg, but I was told that since it's been long I've been their patient, I need to get another referral to be on their wait list on Heartland. So I think, I could be running out of time since I'm already turning 41 by the end of the year.

I've start to research for clinics outside Manitoba, but a good suggestion would be nice. As I don't have any idea on what to look, and if it's a good idea.

If anyone who've been in my situation, I'd really appreciate a good advice and suggestions.

Thank you in advance

#2 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 325 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:54 PM

If I were in your situation I'd ask my family doctor to order ovarian reserve testing.

This is probably unwanted bad news, but if you had fertility problems in your early 30s you might just be wasting time and money to try IVF with your own eggs now.

#3 Ancela

Ancela
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:07 PM

Actually I was told back then that everything is okay on my end as well as on my partner back then. That's why they recommend to do IUI or IVF because they don't know why I can't get pregnant. That's why, I'm planning to do it by myself now.

But thank you, I'll ask my Family Doctor for Ovarian Reserve testing.

#4 heartolion

heartolion
  • 39 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:01 PM

What kind of advice are you looking for? I agree, the first thing is to get a sense of your current biology so you know what your chances of success are.

for me, i wish i had started IVF and skipped the IUI process - it delayed me for about a year, and based on age (i was also 41 when i started) i ran out of money and also did not have any embryos to bank for possible siblings.

I was blessed with a son at 43.5, but it was after 3 ivf cycles - the first two only yielded abnormal embryos and no 'spares'.

I did this by myself too.

After 2 IUI and 3 IVF I have a lovely boy.

#5 Hope2020

Hope2020
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:54 AM

Hi Ancela, good on you. I would advise to check your egg reserve then store your one eggs asap if you can. I think there is an age limit for that which is 43. After that you might require donor eggs for ivf. But that might be different depending on clinic.. all the best

#6 aby

aby
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:MUHC

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:26 PM

I'm single 45y hoping to be a mum via IVF and in the process of choosing DE and DS. what should i be doing? what should i look out for? I'm so new to this and feel lost.
help pls buddies

#7 lauris22

lauris22
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:MFC

Posted 02 February 2020 - 05:58 PM

Blessings to everyone in this forum! Am new here too. Following this topic. @ Aby - what do you mean with being in the process of choosing DE and DS. what does those acronyms stand for? Thanks to everyone for the reply.

#8 lauris22

lauris22
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:MFC

Posted 02 February 2020 - 05:58 PM

Blessings to everyone in this forum! Am new here too. Following this topic. @ Aby - what do you mean with being in the process of choosing DE and DS. what does those acronyms stand for? Thanks to everyone for the reply.

#9 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • 24 posts
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:00 PM

I'm single 45y hoping to be a mum via IVF and in the process of choosing DE and DS. what should i be doing? what should i look out for? I'm so new to this and feel lost.
help pls buddies

Have you discussed all options with yr doc? In case of DE, make sure that donor eggs have been PGS NGS tested. Good luck with yr journey x