• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vivvvi

Vivvvi
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:20 PM

Hello,

I just turned 41. I will be using donor sperm to TTC. I recently had all my baseline tests done and the following are my results:

- AFC: 19

- FSH: 9

- AMH: 1.60

- All other hormones/parameters are normal.

I have never tried to conceived before. I have a very regular 28-day cycle. No PCOS. No endometriosis. No cysts. According to my doctor, all my results are those of a younger woman, which is great. The problem is that my ovaries (and eggs) are NOT young, they are 41 years old!!

My doctor offered to try a couple of IUIs or the short IVF protocol. I am very confused with the decision. I am reading and hearing that at my age, 70-80% of the eggs are chromosomally abnormal. Does it make sense to to IUI?? Should I just go straight to IVF (with PGD to exclude choromosomally abnormal embryos)?  

I am afraid that with IUI, I will be wasting time, as the rate of success is lower (fertilization, miscarriage, chromosomally abnormal fetus). 

If you can provide your medical opinion on this, I would be so appreciative!

PS: I have been taking multivitamins and CoQ10 (600mg) for 8 months now.

Thank you,

Vivi

#2 DorothyandToto

DorothyandToto
  • Global 100+
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:My furry children, movies, Pilates, travel, cooking
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:57 PM

Vivi,

I am not a doctor, so this is not a medical opinion...just what was told to me and what I have experienced. I too have the “hormones of a younger woman”even though I’m 42. My AFC is 20, my FSH is 4.9 and my AMH is 14.2.

Even with these results, my doctor felt my chance of conceiving via IUI at my age was less than 5%. We went straight to IVF and you know what? I’m glad we did, just because my body appears young via the charting...it reacted closer to my age when stimulated. I ended up with only 9 eggs, of which, only 5 were mature. Of those 5, we ended up with 2 blasts...one of which is PGS normal.
I am now doing my second round of IVF to try and bank another normal embryo.

I guess what I’m saying is, that when our bodies get up here in the 40s, they will not necessarily react how a younger woman’s body would with the same hormones and conditions.

Just my opinion and I wish you luck whatever you decide.
  • Elmhurst likes this

#3 Vivvvi

Vivvvi
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:15 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It's such a difficult decision. IUI sounds so simple yet has a low success rate and IVF sounds so taxing on the body but has a better success rate.

Your explanation is in line with my thought process. Despite all the good baseline results, the fact of the matter is that the eggs are not young. I don't want to waste precious time trying something that has such a low success rate of a live birth, so IVF is sounding more realistic. 

• DorothyandToto likes this

#4 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:12 AM

I wouldn't try more than 1 or 2 IUIs at your age and if you want more than 1 kiddo I would say a hard no to any IUIs. If you want more than one you want embryos in the freezer yesterday.

#5 SMPK

SMPK
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 22 April 2020 - 01:06 AM

IVF. We were recommended iui as my numbers were great at 41. We did 3 rounds then ivf. 4 rounds. 1 miscarriage. No baby. Im sorry to sound pessimistic. Thats just my journey. I feel like we wasted time with iui. Age matters. Go with ivf. More expensive. But worth it.