21 replies to this topic

#1 wannabeamama

wannabeamama
  • Global 100+
  • 209 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:21 PM

I am in the waiting purgatory, we are still on a wait list for a new clinic and we have to restart the adoption process because we just moved to a new province.

While we are waiting I have been trying to lose some weight. Can anyone recommend a certain diet that has worked well for you and may be beneficial to fertility?

Since I am now 36 I am also fighting the middle age spread I guess lol 

Me: 37 DH: 36

TTC since 2014

IVF #1: November 2016

ER: Retrieved 5 eggs, 5 fertilized, ended up with 4 five day blasts

Fresh ET Nov 2016: BFN

FET w/ ICSI #1         Feb 2017: BFP,  M/C Apr (Lost at 7 weeks, found out at 14, had D&C)

FET  w/ ICSI #2       June 2017: BFP,  M/C Sept (Lost at 9 weeks, found out at almost 13 weeks, had D&C)

FET w/ ICSI #3        April 2018: BFN

IVF # 2: January 2020

ER: Retrieved 15 eggs, 10 fertilized, ended up with 7 five day blasts

Fresh ET Jan 2020: BFN

FET w/ICSI #1          Aug 2020: BFN

5 frosties left, likely not cycling again until next spring.

#2 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:24 AM

My weight has been up and down all my adult weight too. What sort of works for me is to not to bring junk into the house. It's easier to have self control one time during the shopping trip then self control all week to not eat those cookies. If you have access to vending machines and starbucks at work make the time on the weekend to pack lunches and leave the cash/coins/credit cards at home. I have lost significant amounts of weight doing lots of heavy weight training and cardio but the problem with that method is when you stop the weight will come back on.

#3 Axl2

Axl2
  • Global 100+
  • 177 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:13 PM

My husband did the keto diet and lost 30 pounds. I did low carb and walked my dogs every day and lost 3 inches. Are you adopting through the government or agency? If you dont mind asking.

#4 Axl2

Axl2
  • Global 100+
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:13 PM

My husband did the keto diet and lost 30 pounds. I did low carb and walked my dogs every day and lost 3 inches. Are you adopting through the government or agency? If you dont mind asking.

#5 wannabeamama

wannabeamama
  • Global 100+
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for the advice, I was considering Keto but I'm still on the fence lol

We are starting the adoption process with the government, there are no private agencies in the province we are in now.

We are going to an information night in September but I'm not even sure if adoption will be to right way to go. I have heard that the wait can be very very long for a child under two here and by the time we go through the whole process my husband would most likely have to move us again because of his job. rolleyes.gif

Thankfully we did get an appointment with a new clinic to see about doing IVF again, so hopefully we'll be able to move forward with that!

TTC since 2014

FET w/ ICSI #1         Feb 2017: BFP,  M/C Apr (Lost at 7 weeks, found out at 14, had D&C)

FET  w/ ICSI #2       June 2017: BFP,  M/C Sept (Lost at 9 weeks, found out at almost 13 weeks, had D&C)

#6 Axl2

Axl2
  • Global 100+
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:32 PM

Yes adoption can be a long process. We are adopting through an agency we did our 3 year update in June. No guarantees of anything or how long it will take to be placed. We looked into the government system and was told to stay with the agency. If you stay in the same province they will update your home study and will come and check out your new home.

Good luck with the appointment and information session!

#7 wannabeamama

wannabeamama
  • Global 100+
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:19 PM

Thanks AxL2! 

TTC since 2014

#8 BengalMom

BengalMom
  • Global 100+
  • 118 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Hannam/Greece

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:41 AM

Just chiming in to say that keto can be problematic for some women from a hormonal perspective. We need fat in our diet to produce hormones, but too much fat can be detrimental.

It sounds boring, but I had great success on Weight Watchers - attending the in-person meetings. I loved the support and the tracking app. I also find weight training really helpful. Building muscle helps combat the effects of aging!

#9 wannabeamama

wannabeamama
  • Global 100+
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:33 PM

Hmm I'll consider what you said BengalMom!

I have done weight watchers before with some success but without attending meetings. (I just had a website with the point values and roughly how many points I was supposed to have.)
Perhaps attending meetings would be a good thing.
I would not know where to start with weight training, but it could be worth a try!

TTC since 2014

#10 wannabeamama

wannabeamama
  • Global 100+
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:33 PM

Hmm I'll consider what you said BengalMom!

I have done weight watchers before with some success but without attending meetings. (I just had a website with the point values and roughly how many points I was supposed to have.)
Perhaps attending meetings would be a good thing.
I would not know where to start with weight training, but it could be worth a try!

TTC since 2014

#11 JIC

JIC
  • 1000+
  • 1077 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:52 PM

I did weight watchers and had a bit of success.
I found what helped me the most was a personalized diet my naturalpath put together for me. I started going to her foe acupunture for ivf/fet but have stayed for diet. Have lost a lot. All I really gave up was dairy (get calcium through other food) and cut down on carbs but not completely. Actually really easy to follow and not hungry between meals. 3 meals 2 snacks. When i struggled at all it was someone to speak to about it as well

Nov 2016 Feb 2017 4 failed iui

Mar 2017 IVF 3 pgs abnormal embryos

Oct 2017 IVF 1 pgs normal embryo

Dec 2017 FET  6.5 mc

May 2018 Donor FET 5 week mc

Feb 2019 Donor FET 5.5 week mc

Mar 2021 completed adopt ready

#12 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:16 AM

The best place to start for weights is the machines. Focus on the large muscle groups if your goal is weight loss. You don't need to do a gorillian bicep curls unless you're Arnold trying to get your bicep to pop. Break it into upper and core/lower days. If you're very deconditioned pick 4-5 exercises per day to start. In general I do two sets of 8-12 reps to exhaustion for upper, 12-15 for lower (meaning you adjust your weight so you're starting to fail at the end of the set). I keep track in a little book. Many gyms have a speed workout area that has dedicated machines for a 30 min work out. That would be a good start because those machines are picked for the "biggest bang for your buck". Once you feel confident on the machines you can move on to free weights, if you get a kick out of it. If you don't there isn't really any harm in staying on the machines.

Lateral Pulldown

Chest Press

Pec Fly/Rear Deltoid (usually the same machine)

Back Row

Shoulder Press

Triceps Dip

(Bicept and Tricep machines - if you want)

Calf Press

Back extension

Leg Extension

Hamstring Curl

Abdominal Crunch

Whatever glute machine they have

Ab plank 60-90 seconds

Medicine ball kayak - start with like 5lbs

Also if you do cardio in a fasted state (like first thing in the morning) that is supposed to blast the fat reserves, but I wouldn't do weights fasted.

#13 wannabeamama

wannabeamama
  • Global 100+
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:47 PM

Cool, thanks for the very detailed info Cotton!

TTC since 2014

#14 Ak84

Ak84
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:36 AM

You might want to look for a hormone balancing diet since that would tie in to fertility thing too. My naturopathic doctor recommended it for me - based on the diet its definitely helping with weight and being healthy.
Im sure there are variations, but involves eating lots of veggies, avoiding sugar, alcohol, dairy, red meat, caffeine (I have 1 cup a day....tough to eliminate it completely but Im trying). Having lemon with water, veggies, chicken (organic if possible) and lean meats, no breads or stuff with gluten for most part (Ill pick up pasta thats made from sweet potatoes or peas), eat good fats ( avocado, almonds- in moderation ). You can have quinoa, brown rice and oats in moderations- I find I need a little bit and Ill have a snack with these and almond or sesame seed butter.
Keeping in mind to not stress yourself out with the diet - because that wont help your fertility side of things - but just trying to follow general guidelines youll notice a difference mentally and physically

#15 prarie_faerie

prarie_faerie
  • 83 posts
  • My Clinic:Aurora Fertility

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:06 PM

Hey again wannabeamama!

I personally would be a bit wary of Keto as it can throw your hormones off balance and it is not recommended to be in a physical state of ketosis when trying to get pregnant or while pregnant in general, but from a google search it seems like critics are torn on the benefits vs risks of Keto. But with most things, why chance it though right?

I'm personally on a mediterranean type diet, lots of greens, veg and fruit, beans and lentils, some chicken and low mercury fish but largely veggie based with lots of healthy fats and some whole grains. So for me, more of a lifestyle change in making healthier, generally more plant based, choices over time as opposed to a fad diet i knew i wouldn't stick to long term, helped me to drop a bit of weight before starting fertility treatments. I went from 165lbs down to 135lbs over the course of a year doing this and gained muscle/lost some fat. Not drinking alcohol probably played a role in losing some unhealthy belly fat as well. I'm also not a die hard, like if i am really craving some red meat or some kind of white carbs or treats then i have it. life is too short and everything should be in moderation, EVEN moderation. all about balance i think.

BUT everyone's body is different and with different needs, so i definitely second what Ak84 said above, maybe a holistic practitioner or a dietician with experience in fertility could help get you set up for success? 

Also keep in mind dropping weight quickly probably isn't conducive to pregnancy, so definitely take it slow and steady. Best of luck to you!

Me: 27  DH: 27   Diagnosis: Unexplained

• Started TTC: Jan. 2017
  • First medicated IUI: July 2019= BFN
  • Second medicated IUI: August 2019 = BFN
  • IVF/ICSI: Dec 2019 = 4 conventional IVF blastocysts + 3 ICSI blastocysts,  frozen at 5 days. No fresh transfer due to OHSS
  • First FET: Jan. 2020 = BFP resulting in a pregnancy loss at 7 weeks

#16 wannabeamama

wannabeamama
  • Global 100+
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for your reply prairie_faerie!

Since posting this topic I was able to lose a little bit of weight just by tracking my food on an app.

I usually get frustrated with tracking food, so eventually stopped but just tracking for a little while helped break some overeating habits.

I recently found out that I have hyperthyroidism and suspected Grave's disease, so my hormones were definitely messed up and that may have been part of why I had gained some weight and was having trouble losing it. 

Since I started taking thyroid medication I think I have lost some more. I am currently having more success with thinking about portions and eating what I want in moderation.

TTC since 2014

#17 prarie_faerie

prarie_faerie
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

Oh wow - sorry to hear about that. But happy for you that you've recieved a diagnosis and can now get some treatment that is helping you! Wishing you the best of luck with your health and with becoming a mom!

• IVF/ICSI: Dec 2019 = 4 conventional IVF blastocysts + 3 ICSI blastocysts,  frozen at 5 days. No fresh transfer due to OHSS

#18 prarie_faerie

prarie_faerie
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:52 PM

Oh wow - sorry to hear about that. But happy for you that you've recieved a diagnosis and can now get some treatment that is helping you! Wishing you the best of luck with your health and with becoming a mom!

#19 Jerbitts

Jerbitts
  • Global 100+
  • 115 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 11 March 2020 - 01:15 PM

Try the Keto diet, a lot of people swear by it. 

#20 fertilitystories

fertilitystories
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 20 March 2020 - 05:03 PM

You might want to look for a hormone balancing diet since that would tie in to fertility thing too. My naturopathic doctor recommended it for me - based on the diet its definitely helping with weight and being healthy.
Im sure there are variations, but involves eating lots of veggies, avoiding sugar, alcohol, dairy, red meat, caffeine (I have 1 cup a day....tough to eliminate it completely but Im trying). Having lemon with water, veggies, chicken (organic if possible) and lean meats, no breads or stuff with gluten for most part (Ill pick up pasta thats made from sweet potatoes or peas), eat good fats ( avocado, almonds- in moderation ). You can have quinoa, brown rice and oats in moderations- I find I need a little bit and Ill have a snack with these and almond or sesame seed butter.
Keeping in mind to not stress yourself out with the diet - because that wont help your fertility side of things - but just trying to follow general guidelines youll notice a difference mentally and physically

YES to this diet. I've tried it too. The hardest part for me was cutting down on caffeine!

#21 TracyFlick

TracyFlick
  • Global 100+
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 11:17 AM

We are starting the adoption process with the government, there are no private agencies in the province we are in now.

We are going to an information night in September but I'm not even sure if adoption will be to right way to go. I have heard that the wait can be very very long for a child under two here and by the time we go through the whole process my husband would most likely have to move us again because of his job. rolleyes.gif

Thankfully we did get an appointment with a new clinic to see about doing IVF again, so hopefully we'll be able to move forward with that!

Edit - just looked at the dates of these posts, which made my post irrelevant. Sorry!

January 2017 TTC

March 2017 BFP

April 2017 m/c

July 2017 BFP

August 2017 m/c

Stopped TTC to investigate issue

January 2018 Cycle monitoring; two misdiagnoses regarding fertility issues

August 2018 Septate found / uterine septum removal

November 2018 IVF #1: seven eggs, six mature, six fertilized with ICSI, four embryos, two PGS-tested normal

July 2019 IVF #2: 21 eggs; 17 mature, 13 fertilized with ICSI, seven embryos, five PGS-tested normal

Sept. 2020 first FET with 4AA PGS-tested embryo; BFP; low rising numbers but excellent scans

June 2021 healthy baby girl via C-section <3.

Future: Considering trying again when permitted following C-section but might be one and done. Will donate embryos to research if any remain unused when we are done.

#22 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • Global 100+
  • 159 posts
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 25 August 2020 - 10:01 AM

Edit - just looked at the dates of these posts, which made my post irrelevant. Sorry!

but might be helpful for someone in the future :)