4 replies to this topic

#1 Hopeful1986

Hopeful1986
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Boston IVF

Posted 25 July 2019 - 02:01 PM

Hi all, new to this site. I am wondering if anyone else has suffered a loss after IVF. Our second round of IVF was in June and was successful. The 7 week us had a strong heartbeat and when we went to my OBGYN the following week we found out there was no heartbeat and the baby had died shortly after our first scan. I had a d&c yesterday and I am anxiously awaiting the results to see if it was a chromsonal issue or not. We did get pregnant naturally once 3 years ago but that also resulted in a miscarriage due to septate uterus. I have since had surgery to correct and my uterus is supposedly normal. We did not do pgs testing on our embryos as we were advised it wouldn't be necessary.

#2 Daisy.Eriksen

Daisy.Eriksen
  • Global 100+
  • 500 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:42 PM

Hi Hopeful,

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. It's so devastating, especially after seeing a strong heartbeat the week before.

I hope you are able to learn some more information and get some answers from the testing. And I hope your doctor will be able to provide you with a path forward, whether that's more testing or additions to your protocol during transfer or something else.

My loss was similar but a bit different - all my IVFs resulted in negatives but I had a natural pregnancy last year that resulted in a missed miscarriage - I was measuring a week behind at my 7 week u/s but there was a heartbeat (slow, but there), but it likely stopped growing later that day. It sucked! I can still remember the devastation and it's been 10 months. I found I felt worse right before my due date and then started feeling better after it.

Please be gentle on yourself during this grieving time. Give yourself permission to cry and mourn. Take care of yourself (eat junk food and binge tv, or eat healthy and exercise, find something that makes you feel a little better). Perhaps find a way to honour your two little ones. 

Do you know when you'll have your follow up appointment yet?

I'll be thinking of you. 

TTC since 2013

Unsuccessful IVFs 2014-2016

Unsuccessful known egg donor cycle 2018

Donor Egg Bank Assured Refund plan 2019

Two unsuccessful DE transfers 2019

Unsuccessful DE transfer 2020

DE transfer Nov 2020 - BFP

More about my journey in my profile

#3 wannabeamama

wannabeamama
  • Global 100+
  • 209 posts
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:13 PM

I'm sorry for your losses Hopeful, it's not easy.

This happened to me twice actually. The first time I lost it at 7 weeks but they did not send me for any ultrasounds and appointments until what would have been the end of the first trimester because I did not have any bleeding. Earlier ultrasounds were not typically done in the province I was in unless there was cause for concern.

The second time I was pregnant after IVF, I insisted on being sent for an 8 week ultrasound and it looked good. I was prescribed Prometrium for the first 13 weeks as part of my protocol but as soon as I stopped taking it I began bleeding. I had lost that one at about 9 weeks...

Sometimes I wish we had done testing on those embryos. They were not able to tell me much with the first miscarriage, but they did tell us that there was an abnormality with the second.

I'm just sharing my experience here to let you know that you're not alone, take care of yourself and hang in there!

Me: 37 DH: 36

TTC since 2014

IVF #1: November 2016

ER: Retrieved 5 eggs, 5 fertilized, ended up with 4 five day blasts

Fresh ET Nov 2016: BFN

FET w/ ICSI #1         Feb 2017: BFP,  M/C Apr (Lost at 7 weeks, found out at 14, had D&C)

FET  w/ ICSI #2       June 2017: BFP,  M/C Sept (Lost at 9 weeks, found out at almost 13 weeks, had D&C)

FET w/ ICSI #3        April 2018: BFN

IVF # 2: January 2020

ER: Retrieved 15 eggs, 10 fertilized, ended up with 7 five day blasts

Fresh ET Jan 2020: BFN

FET w/ICSI #1          Aug 2020: BFN

5 frosties left, likely not cycling again until next spring.

#4 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 170 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:04 AM

Hi Hopeful,
I am so sorry for what you're going through right now. It can feel very lonely, frustrating and unfair. I too also lost a baby after seeing a healthy heartbeat at 7 weeks somewhere at the 9 week point. The following d and c may have been the saddest day of my life and only people who have been through it can really truly understand. I hope you're holding up ok. I wanted to offer you some hope as although the day of my miscarriage was one of the most traumatic in my life, it seems like a distant memory 6 years later. My next ivf cycle (with only 6 eggs) I went on to have twins who are now 5 and the following fet produced my 3 year old daughter. At the time of my miscarriage I truly believed I would never have success but I wanted to tell you that what sometimes looks impossible can eventually happen in it's own timing. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason why some embryos take and others dont or do and dont make it to live birth. But if my ivf journey changed for the better - others' could as well. Sending support your way.

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/[email protected] th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.

#5 ashes808

ashes808
  • Just Hatched
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:fertility INSTITUTE of hawaii

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:42 AM

im sorry for your lost. i wanted ask did u guys have normal doubling hcg levels?.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Miscarriage IVF fet, Miscarriage, Fet, Recurrent loss, IVF, Pgs