Very poor morphology and healthy newborns? - IVF/FET/IUI Cycle Buddies - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Very poor morphology and healthy newborns?

morphology male factor newborn outcome ICSI IVF

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:56 PM

Hello, I am very new to this and at the moment trying to decide whether it is worth me going through the IVF process as I am worried about newborn defects more than anything. 

My husband has very low count (4 million) and undetectable morphology (less than 2%) and I have been reading many papers stating that the chromosomal makeup in his sperm is abnormal due to the morphology which then could lead to newborn defects. The only other person that has been in this situation has indeed had one genetically abnormal child and one perfectly healthy. I just wanted to see if I could find more success stories with healthy babies! 

Appreciate your time. 

#2 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 598 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Hannam (now)

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:55 AM

The good news is that there are ways to maximize your chances of having a genetically normal child.

The physical morphology of a sperm (whether deemed normal or abnormal) doesnt necessarily mean the sperms DNA is healthy or not. I would encourage you to speak with your fertility doctor for a more comprehensive overview of this topic, but in a nutshell, you can pursue IVF with genetic testing on your embryos prior to transferring them to ensure you are transferring genetically normal embryos.

But, I just wanted to emphasize that low morphology doesnt mean youll have an unhealthy baby. In fact, normal morphology in sperm is deemed to be between 4-14%.

I think you have every reason to feel optimistic. Best of luck to you.

Twin girls born December 2017 after 7 years of TTC

See 'About Me' for full details

#3 hopefuldadsomeday

hopefuldadsomeday
  • Global 100+
  • 723 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:23 PM

My sperm analysis showed 1% normal morphology and my wife gave birth to our dd in June. If the morphology is very poor, they may recommend icsi to increase fertilization chances. If you're worried about genetic defects you can always get pgs-testing done on the embryos.

March 2016 - Miscarriage #1 (chemical pregnancy)

August 2016 -  Miscarriage #2 (Trisomy-16)

December 2016 - Miscarriage #3 (unknown - suspected chromosomal abnormality)

IVF #1 - Aug 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol) - 9 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 blastocysts, only 1 PGS normal embryo 5BB mitoscore 25.1 (frozen)

IVF #2 - Nov 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol - with testosterone priming and growth hormone) - 7 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 5BB mitoscore 33.12 (frozen)

IVF #3 - Jan 2018 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol with growth hormone) -  4 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 6BB mitoscore 29.82 (frozen)

FET #1 - March 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining (6.25mm)

FET #1.2 - April 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining again! (4.85mm)

FET #1.3 - June 4, 2018 (lining 7.5mm!) - th_abfn.gif

ERA Aug 2018 - Pre-receptive by 1 day

FET #2 - Sep 18, 2018 (lining 6.9mm) th_abfp.gif  Beta #1: Sep 30, 2018 - 682  Beta #2: Oct 6,2018 - 6656 U/S: Oct 15 - measuring 6w4d (CRL 6.87mm), HR 127bpm! U/S: Oct 25 - measuring 8w1d (CRL 16.69mm), HR 168bpm!  Discharged to midwives!  June 7, 2019: It's a girl!  DD born 7lb 2oz babygirl.gif

#4 Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:59 PM

Thank you both for your response! And a very big congratulations on your baby! Did your wife or baby encounter any problems? Are they both ok?
Sorry for the questions. We are so overwhelmed its hard to not think the worst sometimes..

#5 hopefuldadsomeday

hopefuldadsomeday
  • Global 100+
  • 723 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:21 PM

We had our embryos PGS-tested so we only transferred normal embryos.  Baby was born healthy and wife is doing fine.  To put things into perspective even with low count of 4 million sperm and 2% normal - that gives over 80,000 normal sperm - more than enough for the IVF process.  As mentioned, the RE may suggest ICSI to improve the odds of fertilization though.  Best to talk to your RE, but IMO, if the only issues is low count/low morphology, your prognosis should be pretty good - best of luck!

March 2016 - Miscarriage #1 (chemical pregnancy)

August 2016 -  Miscarriage #2 (Trisomy-16)

December 2016 - Miscarriage #3 (unknown - suspected chromosomal abnormality)

IVF #1 - Aug 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol) - 9 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 blastocysts, only 1 PGS normal embryo 5BB mitoscore 25.1 (frozen)

IVF #2 - Nov 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol - with testosterone priming and growth hormone) - 7 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 5BB mitoscore 33.12 (frozen)

IVF #3 - Jan 2018 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol with growth hormone) -  4 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 6BB mitoscore 29.82 (frozen)

FET #1 - March 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining (6.25mm)

FET #1.2 - April 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining again! (4.85mm)

FET #1.3 - June 4, 2018 (lining 7.5mm!) - th_abfn.gif

ERA Aug 2018 - Pre-receptive by 1 day

FET #2 - Sep 18, 2018 (lining 6.9mm) th_abfp.gif  Beta #1: Sep 30, 2018 - 682  Beta #2: Oct 6,2018 - 6656 U/S: Oct 15 - measuring 6w4d (CRL 6.87mm), HR 127bpm! U/S: Oct 25 - measuring 8w1d (CRL 16.69mm), HR 168bpm!  Discharged to midwives!  June 7, 2019: It's a girl!  DD born 7lb 2oz babygirl.gif

#6 Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:57 PM

Thank you so much you have definitely made me feel so much better, and so relieved to hear that both your baby and wife si fine! Congratulations.

#7 MLK-N

MLK-N
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:07 AM

We had 0-1% morphology and hubby has low count too. Post wash is around 3mil.
We did IVF with ICSI, we were successful with our final and lowest graded embryo and currently have a very healthy and happy 16 month old baby girl! No birth defects or abnormalities

#8 prarie_faerie

prarie_faerie
  • 83 posts
  • My Clinic:Aurora Fertility

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:40 PM

From what our doctor has told us (husband has <1% normal sperm morphology) morphology issues do not mean damaged DNA and so this shouldn't impact genetics of your future child, form my understanding. Most clinics will offer genetic testing of embryos before transfer either on site or to be sent to another lab before introducing to your body if requested by you. speak to your doctor about what options they have for genetic testing and if you are concerned with this it is likely worth the extra $ to get this testing done! Goodluck smile.png

Me: 27  DH: 27   Diagnosis: Unexplained

• Started TTC: Jan. 2017
  • First medicated IUI: July 2019= BFN
  • Second medicated IUI: August 2019 = BFN
  • IVF/ICSI: Dec 2019 = 4 conventional IVF blastocysts + 3 ICSI blastocysts,  frozen at 5 days. No fresh transfer due to OHSS
  • First FET: Jan. 2020 = BFP resulting in a pregnancy loss at 7 weeks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: morphology, male factor, newborn outcome, ICSI, IVF