DHEA question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 N1111

N1111
  • 47 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:31 AM

Has anyone used DHEA to help with improving egg quality and quality. Im 39 and I was told to take this along with some other supplements that should help before my IVF. Did you experience side effects? Any success stories with t helping especially since Im older and egg quality may be an issue as well as diminished ovarian reserve? Did it change your period at all?

#2 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7472 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:38 AM

I was told that if your own levels are normal, adding DHEA can do more harm than good. I took it for 5 months (you're supposed to take it at least 3M prior to IVF). It didn't affect my periods that I remember but my numbers got progressively worse while on it. After a failed IVF, I stopped taking it and was lucky enough to be successful. Also, while it's generally safe at the doses used for IVF, it can have some pretty serious side effects including permanent cardiac damage, so your levels should be monitored while you're on it. Fingers crossed for you.
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#3 hockeynet

hockeynet
  • Global 100+
  • 110 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:One Fertility

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:55 PM

I just finished IVF and had taken DHEA for just under three months prior. (Age 37) I noticed slight increase in acne, but other than that no major side effects, and no effect on period. I had drastically different results with this IVF - previously the majority of our embryos arrest on day five or six of culturing, but this time I ended up with five blastocysts on day five. The are all frozen now, so the final result is TBD. Prior to taking DHEA I was skeptical of it. And since I didn't take it for the full three months prior, I'm  not sure if it was the reason for the drastically different results.

More about me in profile

#4 N1111

N1111
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:50 PM

So my levels were checked for a baseline 2 days after being on it. My levels were on the higher end. I asked the nurse and the doctor still wanted me to take it. They dont get concerned with elevated levels. I asked if I should get tested again to see where they are at now that Ive been on them for 1.5 months. She said there is no need to test till I go in for my day 2 ultrasound as they want high levels. I am worried that my levels will be too high and will do more harm than good. I dont know what to do?

#5 Britty

Britty
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Heartland

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:33 PM

DHEA will do more harm than good if you have normal levels. I am 43 years old, and taking DHEA was horrible for me. My periods stopped, and it messed up my cycles for over 6 months. Please be carefully. NOT ALL OLDER WOMAN NEED DHEA. I am living proof. BTW - I got 18 follicles without DHEA.

#6 JIC

JIC
  • 1000+
  • 1056 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:49 PM

My levels were normal and I had better results the round I took dhea for 3 months prior. No side effects

Nov 2016 Feb 2017 4 failed iui

Mar 2017 IVF 3 pgs abnormal embryos

Oct 2017 IVF 1 pgs normal embryo

Dec 2017 FET  6.5 mc

May 2018 Donor FET 5 week mc

Feb 2019 Donor FET 5.5 week mc

#7 ashes808

ashes808
  • Just Hatched
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:fertility INSTITUTE of hawaii

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:52 AM

i was told i had a 10% chance of havong a baby. my amh was very low. my first ivf had no mature eggs. my second i did get one 7 day blast it didnt make it. prior to my 3rd ivf i took dhea, myo-inositol,melatonin,coq10. i got 15 eggs 8 fertilized 4 became 5 day blasts. 2 transferred im 5w 5d pregnant. hopefully this will be a full term ..:) yes . i think dhea works

#8 N1111

N1111
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

My levels were normal and I had better results the round I took dhea for 3 months prior. No side effects

#9 N1111

N1111
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:35 PM

So your levels were normal when you started as well? I am having my IVF in September so I will have been on it for 3.5 months. I had a blood test and my levels are definitely elevated but I guess thats what they want beciase my doctor isnt concerned. Did you have any changes with your menatrual flow? I am noticing its shorter than usual. Did you get good results with your IVF?

#10 JIC

JIC
  • 1000+
  • 1056 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:57 AM

I did not have success with ivf and have since moved on. I am one of the unknown. I am able to get pregnant all looks good then for some reason I miscarry. After 3 miscarriages I stopped.

My first ivf I did not have any pgs normal embryos. That is when I started dhea for 3 months and the entire ivf round when much smoother and better and that is when I got my pgs normal embryo. I

Nov 2016 Feb 2017 4 failed iui

Mar 2017 IVF 3 pgs abnormal embryos

Oct 2017 IVF 1 pgs normal embryo

Dec 2017 FET  6.5 mc

May 2018 Donor FET 5 week mc

Feb 2019 Donor FET 5.5 week mc

#11 SynchroGirl

SynchroGirl
  • Global 100+
  • 176 posts
  • My Clinic:MFC

Posted 16 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

DHEA worked for me with egg quantity and I believe quality. Before DHEA I was getting 4-5 eggs per cycle. I continued to cycle while taking the DHEA and at my peak (~3 months on it) I got up at 18 eggs retrieved. I was 39 at the time. I also finally got a few PGS normal embryos. My levels were normal before I took it, I just wanted to try it based on what I had read and my Dr was ok with it. I found my skin was very oily when I took 75 mg/day but on 50 it was better so I switched to 50 mg after the first month. My period was slightly delayed the first few cycles. Good luck!

Me: 40 DH: 52

Dx: Mild Endo, Immune Related Issues, Unexplained

TTC #1 since 2003... 3 years ending in heartbreaking divorce...

Lap #1 in 2005 (mild endo), Lap #2 in 2013 (confirmed no regrowth)

6 IUIs 2013-2014 @ RCC

IVF #1 (March 2018) - 4 eggs retrieved, 1 blast - 3BC (not tested), fresh transfer, BFN

Changed clinics - now @ MFC / Dr Virro - referred for immune testing, Dr wants to first get 2-3 PGS normal embryos before doing immune testing

May 2018-May 2019: 6 more IVF cycles.. 12 embryos, 3 PGS normal (5AB, 3AB, 4BC), 1 mosaic (4BB), 1 too small to test (3BC), 7 abnormal

Immune testing revealed low leukocyte antibodies (1%)

May-June 2019: LIT #1 (x2 treatments) with DH - minor improvement

July-Sept 2019: LIT #2 with donor (x3 treatments) - again minor improvement

Oct-Nov 2019: LIT #3 with new donor (x2 treatments) - not going to wait for the results, proceeding with transfer in December 2019

Dec 20, 2019 - first ever BFP!

#12 Café Olé

Café Olé
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 17 November 2019 - 05:06 PM

I JUST started dhea my fertility dr prescribed for me until January.
I've been on it for about 5 days.
My period came a day early. But that's not uncommon.
My hair is a bit oilier than usual. Haven't noticed anything else.

#13 Woodcottage1

Woodcottage1
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:British Cypris Ivf

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:28 PM

Hello! Ive had some great results on DHEA. Id been taking it for about 5/6 prior to my egg collection. I only have one ovary, they collected 5 mature embryos, all five reached blastocyst. Vs 8 mature last time without supplements, 2 blastocysts.

#14 KatM

KatM
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 09 December 2019 - 03:41 PM

Hello! I'm 42 back in June of 2019 I only had 4 follicles. I started to change a lot of things including adding on DHEA 75 mg a day. Then last month my follicle count was 11 on both sides. I was amazed. The only other thing I did change was adding thyroid medication because my TSH was previously at 5 but doctor recommended it be at a 1 or less then 2. So I think both those things have helped me with follicle counts. Not sure yet about egg quality but I guess I will find out on my next IVF.

#15 bets

bets
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:ASTRA

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:09 AM

Hi 

Im new to this group. I just had my 4th IVF round. April concieved - miscarriage in july, sept Ivf didnt inplant October also transfered two did not inplant.

I was on DHEA for 2 months before my first IVF round, i produced the best Embryo grading A/B. then i used another clinic who did say it didnt make a difference. 

two more failed IVF attempts, I produced 8-11 follicles and fertilized each time 3-4. transferred 1 time 1embryo didn't take, second attempt transferred two and didn't take. Grade of embryos was B and BC. we also never had any survive to freeze.

Once that last IVF attempt in Oct did not work I started DHEA, and also started IVF acupuncture.

November our last IVF attempt, I had 11 follicles 6 mature and 3 fertilized. we transferred 2 Dec 9th. and Had 1 to freeze.

The Grade of  the embryos was AA, highest you can achiever even doctor said hardly sees that.

I believe it had to do with DHEA and also was on CoQ10. and of course my maternal always.

Today is 7 days Post Transfer and I couldn't wait and took a test we got two lines. My actual Blood work is for the 19th.

I recommend to all DHEA, its a prescription from your doctor you should be on it for 6 weeks minimum or 3 months for best results (I was on it for 6 weeks only)

Best of luck to all, I just wanted to share my experience with DHEA.

• KatM likes this