DHEA to improve fertility

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 N1111

N1111
  • 84 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:24 PM

Hello, Im new to this board. Im 39 years old. I will be doing my IVF as a single woman with donor sperm in a few months. I am taking a bunch of supplements and vitamins including coq10 and PQQ. I was also told to take 25 mg of DHEA every day to help improve the quality and quantity. I had my levels tested and I am on the high end of normal before starting the DHEA. I was told I should still take them as they will help with the quality. I was wondering how many people have success with DHEA supplements take. 3 months before IVF.

#2 N1111

N1111
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:30 PM

I should ad that my AMH is 7 and my DHEA -S result from bloodwork prior to starting was 10 at one lab and 13 at the other. Testosterone was 1.8.

#3 DrMichaelHartman

DrMichaelHartman
  • Physician
  • 325 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Trio Fertility

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:35 AM

DHEA is used by a number of REs to help with ovarian response. There is limited data suggesting that it helps with egg quality or quantity. Its main mechanism of action is to lower FSH levels to make the body more sensitive to fertility treatments. DHEA-S levels are not necessarily indicative of DHEA levels. IF your RE feels it is appropriate it could be worth a shot to try leading up to treatment

Good luck!

• mouse and N1111 like this

#4 N1111

N1111
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:43 PM

Dr Hartman, 

Thank you for your response. I was just worried with the because of the higher levels I had originally and if it can cause more harm than good. I just want to make sure its safe to take. I am actually taking 25mg at 3 times per day, so 75mg/day. 

#5 DrMichaelHartman

DrMichaelHartman
  • Physician
  • 325 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Trio Fertility

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:37 PM

I don't think there is anything that you have shared that would suggest it is unsafe.

The dosage is a reasonable one.

• mouse and N1111 like this

#6 N1111

N1111
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:59 PM

Thank you

#7 N1111

N1111
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:41 PM

Ive been on DHEA for a few months now. I noticed it has lengthened my cycles and my period is really short. Could this be due to the DHEA? My levels have gone up quite a bit (21). Should I be concerned?