• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MDL217

MDL217
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:UCSF

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:39 PM

At exactly 7 weeks (Sat. 6/8), all of a sudden I started bleeding heavily with period like blood (bright red and dark red/brown clots). Terrified that I was having a miscarriage, I called my RE clinic and the Nurse calmed me down and mentioned it could be subchorionic hemorrhage and scheduled me for ultrasound the next day (Sunday). Ive never heard of SCH before so of course I googled it! The heavy bleeding stopped after one hour, but I continued to have light bleeding/spotting the rest of the day and night. The next day, thankfully we were able to see the fetus/baby with a heartbeat! The dr who did the scan said it looks like it could have been SCH, but honestly I didnt feel confident that it was just just SCH. Also, there was a something else present in the uterus bigger than the fetus and yolk sac. I asked if it was a mass or liquid form, she really didnt answer me. With all the excitement and relief seeing the baby had a heartbeat, I forgot to follow up with my questions.
What was that thing next to the baby?
How long does SCH last?
How will it impact the baby?
What are the risk?

Anyone else gone through anything similar? Do you mind sharing some of your experiences with me?
Any suggestions on follow up questions I should ask my RE?

Thanks!
43 yo

2013: EP
2015: Natural BFP MC at 10 weeks
2016: IUI - BFP MC at 8 weeks (chromosomal abnormalities)
2017: IVF #1 - 2 embryos made it to day 5. PGS, both abnormal
2018: IVF #2 - 0 embryos made to day 5
2018: IVF #3 - 1 embryo made to day 5, PGS, abnormal
2019: IVF #4 - 5 embryos (day 2 fresh transfer - all 5 embryos!!!!!)
5/17/19: BFP! Beta 106
5/20/19: Beta 455
5/29/19: Beta 6,697

#2 DorothyandToto

DorothyandToto
  • Global 100+
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:My furry children, movies, Pilates, travel, cooking
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:48 PM

I, myself have not had this, but I know of another lady on this board that had two SCHs early on and is currently in her 20th week of a healthy pregnancy. The baby did not suffer any ill effect. I believe she was just put on bedrest.

Hope this can somewhat ease your mind.
  • dangey and MDL217 like this

#3 MDL217

MDL217
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:02 PM

Hi Dorothy, thank you for sharing that— really appreciate it!
  • DorothyandToto likes this
43 yo

#4 KDP

KDP
  • 8 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:20 AM

I had a SCH around week 8 in my pregnancy. Definitely the scariest thing I’ve ever experienced. With that much blood, I was also convinced it was a miscarriage. They are very very common and particularly so with IVF pregnancies from my understanding. There was no ill effects to the baby and I went on to deliver a full term healthy baby girl 8 months ago. I didn’t have to go on bed rest or anything and by my next ultrasound there was no sign of it. The OB never even mentioned it again throughout the pregnancy. I believe the degree to which you may be required to rest depends on the size. Sorry you had to experience this and good luck moving forward with the pregnancy!

#5 dangey

dangey
  • Global 100+
  • 206 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:34 PM

Hi there,

Sounds like it was an SCH and sounds like you may have another. It's totally normal and happens very commonly with IVF. With that said, they are scary AF.

In my case and I think dorothyandtoto may have been referring to me, I had a major bleed at 6w5d; happened two hours after after my viability scan. Found out in emerg it was an SCH. Got my OB to take me early as fertility clinics are not known for good prenatal care and learned there were two of them; one quite large, one quite small. Was put on pelvic and bed rest...was on said rest until close to 20 weeks and was monitored every two weeks. The disapeared by week 20. I'm now almost 23 weeks.

They are scary but just listen to the doctors and if I were you, I would go see my GP or call your OB to see if they can take you sooner. My care via my fertility clinic was negligent at best; they never indicated earlier that day that they saw one and then it ruptured.

Good luck!

• DorothyandToto likes this

#6 Aimeehug

Aimeehug
  • Global 100+
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, volleyball, yoga, watching TV
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:30 PM

I had a small sch around 5 weeks. It was gone by the 9 week scan. I took it easy and was on pelvic rest.

me: 34 DH: 35 TTC since: Sep 2015

Jan 2018- Lap for Endo, and septum removal surgery

Mar-Aug 2018- 3 failed IUIs

Nov 2018- IVF...got my very first ever positive. 

Dec 19 2018- confirmed loss. at 5 weeks. cry.gif

Feb. 2019- preparing for first FET. Let's do this!

March 13, 2019- Transfer date for FET #1

March 18, 2019- turned 34 and got a squinter 5dp5dt.

March 22, 2019- Positive Beta! 

April 8, 2019- 1st ultrasound. all good except a small SCH.

#7 MDL217

MDL217
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 11:39 PM

KDP, thank you and congratulations to your baby girl!!!

Dangey, yay on being 23 weeks!
Aimeehug, how many weeks are you?

dangey and Aimeehug: Did you happen to have a second bleed? I had another bleed last Thursday 6/13. It was not as heavy, but still scared me, it was red and one big dark red clot. It stopped after a few minutes and I just continued to spot throughout that day/night. I’ve since had intermittent spotting (dark brown) everyday. One of the doctors called me later that day and they didn’t seem concerned since the bleeding had stopped and I didn’t have any painful cramping. I was experiencing back/upper butt pain or soreness. They think it could be because I’m on Progesterone (PIO). I have my next u/s tomorrow (6/17) with my RE (should be ~8w2d). I’m praying and hoping everything is ok and we get to see a healthy and growing embryo with a strong heartbeat.
43 yo

#8 dangey

dangey
  • Global 100+
  • 206 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:22 PM

Hi there,

Everything crossed for you. I had the one terrible bleed but then a few episodes of brown spotting that seems to happen when they would be shrinking/disolving.

• MDL217 likes this

#9 Aimeehug

Aimeehug
  • Global 100+
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, volleyball, yoga, watching TV
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:38 AM

KDP, thank you and congratulations to your baby girl!!!

Dangey, yay on being 23 weeks!
Aimeehug, how many weeks are you?

dangey and Aimeehug: Did you happen to have a second bleed? I had another bleed last Thursday 6/13. It was not as heavy, but still scared me, it was red and one big dark red clot. It stopped after a few minutes and I just continued to spot throughout that day/night. I’ve since had intermittent spotting (dark brown) everyday. One of the doctors called me later that day and they didn’t seem concerned since the bleeding had stopped and I didn’t have any painful cramping. I was experiencing back/upper butt pain or soreness. They think it could be because I’m on Progesterone (PIO). I have my next u/s tomorrow (6/17) with my RE (should be ~8w2d). I’m praying and hoping everything is ok and we get to see a healthy and growing embryo with a strong heartbeat.

Sorry, didn't see this until now. I am now going to be 17 weeks tomorrow. My SCH was pretty small to begin with, i was told. I remember spotting off and on from 5-9 weeks, and then no bleeding since. They didn't mention it at my 12 week scan, and I've had no bleeding since, thankfully. I know I checked the TP every day in case it came back. i still check, but I don't expect to see it anymore.

• MDL217 likes this

me: 34 DH: 35 TTC since: Sep 2015

Jan 2018- Lap for Endo, and septum removal surgery

Mar-Aug 2018- 3 failed IUIs

Nov 2018- IVF...got my very first ever positive. 

Dec 19 2018- confirmed loss. at 5 weeks. cry.gif

Feb. 2019- preparing for first FET. Let's do this!

March 13, 2019- Transfer date for FET #1

March 18, 2019- turned 34 and got a squinter 5dp5dt.

March 22, 2019- Positive Beta! 

April 8, 2019- 1st ultrasound. all good except a small SCH.