7 replies to this topic

#1 dancingscottie

dancingscottie
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:McGill but DO NOT RECCOMEND

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:42 AM

Hi, 

I'm so frustrated with the lack of information about clinics in Montreal when it comes to online reviews... I have no idea if we are having a 'normal' experience or a good one! 

IVF #1 was cancelled due to poor response to stims... switched to IUI, because why not at this point?  4% or so chance that will work, find out next week....

Meeting with a different clinic because I feel like our current Dr didn't take the time to prescribe a specific protocol, just gave me his 'standard' and wants to do so again even though I didn't respond.  IVF feels like it should be very specific and personal... thoughts? 

38 | TTC #1 | IVF #1 Canx due to poor response | DOR and mild MFI |IUI #1... waiting

#2 jtstan

jtstan
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:12 PM

I’m not in Montreal, but have DOR and unfortunately a lot of experience in IVF. Depending on your severity of DOR there is limitations to how much doctors can do to stimulate egg growth no matter the protocol and med doses. If you can provide a bit more info I might be able to comment if your protocol and med doses seem appropriate though. What is your AMH? Do you know the protocol and med doses you were on? If you don’t know the protocol name exactly you could comment about what meds you took and when you took them. Did you take birth control, estrogen, or nothing in the cycle before you started the stimulation medications?

#3 Apfel74

Apfel74
  • 26 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Gynesys/Procrea

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:21 AM

Hi, 
I'm so frustrated with the lack of information about clinics in Montreal when it comes to online reviews... I have no idea if we are having a 'normal' experience or a good one! 

IVF #1 was cancelled due to poor response to stims... switched to IUI, because why not at this point?  4% or so chance that will work, find out next week....

Meeting with a different clinic because I feel like our current Dr didn't take the time to prescribe a specific protocol, just gave me his 'standard' and wants to do so again even though I didn't respond.  IVF feels like it should be very specific and personal... thoughts?

Hi Dancingscottie,
I’m in Montreal, currently at Gynesys. Smaller clinic, but they really take time to present to you all the available options. At first, we had tried OVO, but it was a terrible experience. I’m now 44 and will go for my second try of FET in the next weeks.
TTC since 2014, now 45 years old
Endometriosis, polyps, thyroid imbalance... took long to my body to be ready.
January 2019: good news, 8 x 4aa (5 days) embryos created.
PGS test: 4x DNA champions, 4 abnormal
First ever FET on April 18th, 2019 -> 1st [email protected]= 7, 2nd [email protected] = 2.2... shooting star :(
Second FET on June 25th, 2019 ->1st [email protected]= 36, 2nd [email protected] = 2.3... another shooting star :(
Several tests to try explain poor implantation (CD-138, Mutations, Antibodies...) all negative except for TPO
January 2020: Mock cycle for ERA testing

#4 dancingscottie

dancingscottie
  • 6 posts
  • My Clinic:McGill but DO NOT RECCOMEND

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:53 AM

Hi, 

Hi Dancingscottie,
I’m in Montreal, currently at Gynesys. Smaller clinic, but they really take time to present to you all the available options. At first, we had tried OVO, but it was a terrible experience. I’m now 44 and will go for my second try of FET in the next weeks.

Hi, nice to have a friend in town. I haven't heard of Gynesys!  We moved to McGill and it has been interesting... we really like our Dr, but we have only seen him once.  The clinic staff who do the ultrasounds and IUI are really bad at communicating and act like we are just supposed to know what to do and where to go..... after last weeks IUI she just got up and left us without saying a word, we had no idea if we were supposed to wait (as per last clinic where they advised us to stay lying down for 10 mins) or if we were supposed to get up and leave, or if she was coming back.  Very odd experience......

38 | TTC #1 | IVF #1 Canx due to poor response | DOR and mild MFI |IUI #1... waiting

#5 Apfel74

Apfel74
  • 26 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Gynesys/Procrea

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:34 PM

Gynesys is located in Ville St-Laurent, easy for us to get there as we live in Pierrefonds. All routine appointments + sono and such take place there, for the transfer, we go to Procrea with which there are associated. The waiting room is often full and we have to wait at least an hour after appointment time, but when we’re in the doctor’s office, he really takes his time and answers all the questions we might have. He is also very empathetic and encouraging, so that helps too.

I can relate to the experience of feeling abandoned sometimes with procedures, I guess most people need more than one procedure to succeed so the staff are taking for granted that you know what to do... We usually write down all the questions we have before appointment or procedures and it helps, but otherwise, I don’t mind being the squeaky wheel and insist on understanding things in order to make them right... it is our dream that we are dealing with after all... right? :)

I have never done IUI, where are you with your cycle now? Wishing you all the best! :)
TTC since 2014, now 45 years old
Endometriosis, polyps, thyroid imbalance... took long to my body to be ready.
January 2019: good news, 8 x 4aa (5 days) embryos created.
PGS test: 4x DNA champions, 4 abnormal
First ever FET on April 18th, 2019 -> 1st [email protected]= 7, 2nd [email protected] = 2.2... shooting star :(
Second FET on June 25th, 2019 ->1st [email protected]= 36, 2nd [email protected] = 2.3... another shooting star :(
Several tests to try explain poor implantation (CD-138, Mutations, Antibodies...) all negative except for TPO
January 2020: Mock cycle for ERA testing

#6 Vivvvi

Vivvvi
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:05 PM

I know I'm late in replying, but if I were you I would avoid the MUHC RC like the plague.

A lot of the online reviews talk about "nice doctors" and "wait time". I really don't care about those things. I care about how I am treated there and what type of result I get.

My advice is to go to at least 2-3 clinic for a first consultation, ask them what protocol they would use and compare notes. Most importantly, trust your gut feeling about the clinic. I had a horrible horrible feeling about the MUHC but figured that since they are "McGill" they must be top! What a mistake it was.

I felt like cattle every time I set food in that place. It's so chaotic and disorganized. The doctors work part time and in rotations, so if you see one for your first consultation, chances are you'll never see her/him again. Your egg retrieval would be done by whoever is on duty that day. The ultrasounds are done by fellows who know nothing about your file. So you literally see no staff doctor from the time you get your first consultation to the time of egg retrieval. The protocols are cookie cutter and trial and error. They completely expect your first cycle to fail. The nurses are horrible. Their phone line is open only 2.5 hours per day (that is IF they pick up the phone). It's really a horrible place. I regret it so much.

#7 Clover83

Clover83
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:20 PM

Hi all
Im at the MUHC RC and though there have been some ups and downs overall were happy - they gave us our miracle boy two years ago and now were trying for our second.
Though this time around has been harder...already three failed FETs and no more embryos. Feeling very down and discouraged and not sure what our next steps are.
Wishing everyone good luck on this difficult journey, and I think its of utmost importance that you trust and feel comfortable with your doctor, wherever that may be.

#8 aby

aby
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:MUHC

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:32 PM

I've just done a 2nd consult at MUHC and was referred to see the psychologist. then come for a 3rd consult. I've read mixed reviews about this clinic. it is my 1st time and i wonder what to look out for. advice anyone?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 35+, McGill, MFC, DOR