Best Clinic in Toronto for Older Patients - looking to switch clinics - Clinics - General - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Best Clinic in Toronto for Older Patients - looking to switch clinics

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lostris21

Lostris21
  • 13 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

Hello,

I am considering switching clinics to either Create or Hannam. I am currently at Trio but finding the experience there frustrating and they have a new policy of waiting a month in between embryo transfers. So if you have 6 fertilized embryos now you'd be waiting up to a year to transfer them all! They seem to have a very good lab setup with up to date technology and really excellent doctors, but I'm worried a different clinic might not have that same level of expertise in doctors or lab.

Any insights about these clinics or the process of switching clinics? I'm finding it stressful to say the least.

#2 Lostris21

Lostris21
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:55 PM

Thanks. I have the initial consultations booked already - one in June and one in July. Are you at Create? If so, how do you like it?

#3 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 935 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

I was at Trio for my first round and then moved to Dr. Baratz at Create. Yes, it is super busy. They don't have an app. There is some waiting for cycle monitoring. But I can see my dr anytime I want and I can start a cycle whenever I get my period. 

I moved my one embryo from Trio to Create. It was simple and not that expensive. 

(age 38) June 2016 IVF #1 antagonist, 13 mature eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 blast frozen

October 2016 FET #1 cancelled, thin lining

Changed clinics

(age 39) April 2017 FET #1.1 BFN

July 2017 partner has vasectomy reversal

Feb & March 2018 - Medicated IUI x2 - BFN (even with 7 mature follicles on the 2nd IUI)

(age 40) May 2018 IVF#2, lupron flare, 7 mature eggs, 5 fertilized, 1 blast & 1 morula fresh transfer, BFN. 1 low quality blast frozen

June 2018 IVF#3 mini stim, 1 egg, immature

Sept/Oct 2018 IVF#4 antagonist with HGH - CANCELLED due to high estrogen/29mm cyst

Oct 2018 IVF#4.1 antagonist with HGH - 7 eggs, all mature, 6 fertilized, 2 blasts on day 6, PGS tested/euploid

November 2018 FET #2 w/immune protocol and 1 PGS tested -  BFN

Locus Medicus testing for virus, bacteria and immune issues. Husband treated.

(age 41) April 2019 IVF#5 converted to IUI#3 due to follicle growth. BFP 12 day post IUI. Di/Di twins.

Dec 17 2019 - Baby boy and girl born at 36 weeks + 2 days. Everyone very healthy. 

See my 'about me' page for more detail on my treatment history.

#4 Lostris21

Lostris21
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:09 PM

Schlepp thanks so much for responding! How do you like Dr. Baratz so far? That's who our appt is with. More accessibility to the doctor is part of what I am looking for, so that's could to hear. How organized do you find Create itself to be? The negative reviews keep on saying how busy and disorganized it can be. Do you find the lab and ultrasound techs to be of the same calibre as Trio? We had some bumps with Trio but it seems to run more or less as a well-oiled machine. The app they have actually drives me crazy because you don't get feedback on your bloodwork results.

#5 Lostris21

Lostris21
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:09 PM

Double posted by accident.

#6 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 369 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Prev: Trio / Current: Hannam

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:10 PM

I moved from TRIO to Hannam.  Best decision i ever made.  AS noted above Create is far less expensive than Hannam for sure, but I also was so frustrated with TRIO, it was way too busy and unorganized and was making my experience far more stressful.  I had an consult at Create, but it is very busy there too and I was trying to get away from that. Hannam is quieter and runs very smoothly.  Everyone there is so nice.  I would recommend them, if you can afford their prices.  I am with Dr. Garbedian. 

#7 Lostris21

Lostris21
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:52 AM

I moved from TRIO to Hannam.  Best decision i ever made.  AS noted above Create is far less expensive than Hannam for sure, but I also was so frustrated with TRIO, it was way too busy and unorganized and was making my experience far more stressful.  I had an consult at Create, but it is very busy there too and I was trying to get away from that. Hannam is quieter and runs very smoothly.  Everyone there is so nice.  I would recommend them, if you can afford their prices.  I am with Dr. Garbedian. 

I have a consult with her next month. Part of my issue is the ability to speak directly with my doctor about issues or changes of protocol. Part of Create's appeal to me is that you see the doctor each time after cycling. Honestly if we went with Hannam we would probably only be able to afford one cycle. I know someone who got stellar results with Dr. G on their first IVF cycle (a great number of fertilized blasts and pregnant on first transfer) which is why we are meeting with her. We also still have one funded OHIP cycle which wouldn't happen at Hannam with the length of their waiting list. Was it Dr. Baratz that you met with at Create?

#8 Elle22

Elle22
  • Global 100+
  • 369 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Prev: Trio / Current: Hannam

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:55 AM

We did meet with Dr Baraatz.  He was very thorough but came off as a bit of a salesman to us.  

We have been at this for 4 years and have tried all kinds of different things and i just want to note that it is easy to think that a certain doctor will have the "magic" solution for you to have success.  But honestly after everything I've been through I really believe that it has very little to do with the doctor.  I don't know your personal concern, but as an example if a women's eggs are no longer good or there is a low count, no doctor or protocol will be able to change that. What IS important is you feeling comfortable, listened to and in a safe, stress free and supported environment.  The clinic in Toronto are all great.  The doctors all know what they are doing.  You need to find a situation that will feel good. 

Just my 2 cents :)

I have a consult with her next month. Part of my issue is the ability to speak directly with my doctor about issues or changes of protocol. Part of Create's appeal to me is that you see the doctor each time after cycling. Honestly if we went with Hannam we would probably only be able to afford one cycle. I know someone who got stellar results with Dr. G on their first IVF cycle (a great number of fertilized blasts and pregnant on first transfer) which is why we are meeting with her. We also still have one funded OHIP cycle which wouldn't happen at Hannam with the length of their waiting list. Was it Dr. Baratz that you met with at Create?

#9 schlepp

schlepp
  • Global 100+
  • 935 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:47 PM

Schlepp thanks so much for responding! How do you like Dr. Baratz so far? That's who our appt is with. More accessibility to the doctor is part of what I am looking for, so that's could to hear. How organized do you find Create itself to be? The negative reviews keep on saying how busy and disorganized it can be. Do you find the lab and ultrasound techs to be of the same calibre as Trio? We had some bumps with Trio but it seems to run more or less as a well-oiled machine. The app they have actually drives me crazy because you don't get feedback on your bloodwork results.

Lostris21 - I think Elle22 summed it up well. No clinic is perfect and no dr can guarantee you success. I like Baratz but outside of the consult appt, he can be super rushed. Yes, clinic is a zoo. Techs and lab are hard to judge quality. I found the ultrasound techs very competent but I don't get to see inside the lab so have no idea. 

For any clinic; you need to be the one that is organised. Understand the processes. Advocate for yourself.  Research. Ask questions. Create is chaotic but they are very easy to work with. Baratz is open to trying new protocols and does not give false hope.

I've heard the best lab is Hannam but I could not afford them. 

For us, after over 3 years of this, we finally got a positive but it looks like it was a mix of Baratz protocol and some testing we did in Greece and the related protocol for my husband for that. Again, research and advocate. Very few patients have early easy success and don't have to really understand the process and research. 

(age 38) June 2016 IVF #1 antagonist, 13 mature eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 blast frozen

October 2016 FET #1 cancelled, thin lining

Changed clinics

(age 39) April 2017 FET #1.1 BFN

July 2017 partner has vasectomy reversal

Feb & March 2018 - Medicated IUI x2 - BFN (even with 7 mature follicles on the 2nd IUI)

(age 40) May 2018 IVF#2, lupron flare, 7 mature eggs, 5 fertilized, 1 blast & 1 morula fresh transfer, BFN. 1 low quality blast frozen

June 2018 IVF#3 mini stim, 1 egg, immature

Sept/Oct 2018 IVF#4 antagonist with HGH - CANCELLED due to high estrogen/29mm cyst

Oct 2018 IVF#4.1 antagonist with HGH - 7 eggs, all mature, 6 fertilized, 2 blasts on day 6, PGS tested/euploid

November 2018 FET #2 w/immune protocol and 1 PGS tested -  BFN

Locus Medicus testing for virus, bacteria and immune issues. Husband treated.

(age 41) April 2019 IVF#5 converted to IUI#3 due to follicle growth. BFP 12 day post IUI. Di/Di twins.

Dec 17 2019 - Baby boy and girl born at 36 weeks + 2 days. Everyone very healthy. 

See my 'about me' page for more detail on my treatment history.

#10 Lostris21

Lostris21
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:50 PM

Schlepp thanks so much for this - I appreciate the detail and read your other post about the testing. I will be looking these guys up as soon as I can. Congrats on your BFP! The ishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy.