9 replies to this topic

#1 shmee

shmee
  • 69 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:UBC

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:02 AM

Hi,

My DH and I are planning to do an IVF cycle at UBC in the spring and I was wondering if anyone could let me know a bit about how the process works. We are from northern BC so we have to put some plans in place for travel, time off work, hotels, etc. We see Dr McComb next month for a 2nd referal visit (as we took a year to mull over our options), but I don't know what follows for appointments and such. How long before the cycle would the teaching sessions be? What testing needs to be done prior to a cycle as well? I had a normal HSG last Februaury and we know our issue is MF. I'm nervous and tend to forget a lot of questions I have at appointments. Any info would be appreciated!!

#2 M2B

M2B
  • 30 posts
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hi shmee,

My DH and I are planning to do IVF cycle at UBC this autum. We've scheduled appointment with our Dr. on 30th October and we'll see what he'll say. I hope we can start the procedure soon.
So far our procedure was going sooo slow but they told me that once we schedule the IVF everithnig is going way faster.
I'll give you the feedback once we start.

I am not sure if there is anyone else who is cycleing in UBC this period of the year. I have a question regarding the medicine. What happens if some medicines have left? Can we return them to the clinic and get full refund?

Thank you,
M2B
TTC - 3 years (male factor)
Me - 29 DH - 35

IVF #1 - January 2009
Jan 09 - Started Sinarel
Called in AF and Started Gonal-F injections
ER (retrieved 17 eggs, 14 mature, 12 fertilized) and started Prometrium capsules
ET (transferred 2 - 8 cells embryos grade 1 and grade 2)
Feb 09 - Beta positive but very low, only 10
Beta negative, m/c

IVF #2 - July 2009
ER (retrieved 23 edds, 17 mature, 16 fertilized)
No ET due to multinucleation

Sep 18th 2009 - DH had Varicocele Microsurgery Repair
Nov 30th 2009 - I got pregnant the old fashion way
We are soooo happy!!!

#3 shmee

shmee
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the reply! I haven't been on here too much lately. I would appreciate any info you can pass my way.... we see the clinic on the 15th of October, but won't be going ahead til spring. As far as the meds go, I haven't got a clue if you can return unused portions. It would be great if you could! Best of luck at the end of the month.

shmee

#4 Blueberry

Blueberry
  • 44 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hi,

My DH and I are planning to do an IVF cycle at UBC in the spring and I was wondering if anyone could let me know a bit about how the process works. We are from northern BC so we have to put some plans in place for travel, time off work, hotels, etc. We see Dr McComb next month for a 2nd referal visit (as we took a year to mull over our options), but I don't know what follows for appointments and such. How long before the cycle would the teaching sessions be? What testing needs to be done prior to a cycle as well? I had a normal HSG last Februaury and we know our issue is MF. I'm nervous and tend to forget a lot of questions I have at appointments. Any info would be appreciated!!

Hi, UBC does not sell meds. You will get a prescription and the closest pharmacy that stocks the drugs is the Safeway at Oak & 25th. I don't think any pharmacy will take back unused drugs. I just make sure I don't buy too much, and don't buy the stuff until I need it. For example, I won't buy the HCG shot until right before I need it. You can ask the doc at your u/s what s/he thinks about if you will trigger soon, even though you don't get official confirmation until you call in the afternoon.

By the way, I was at another clinic and the drugs were sold by the clinic and the clinic charged more than the pharmacy!!

#5 M2B

M2B
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:44 PM

Hi Shmee,

One month ago my DH went to see urologist Dr. Chaw and he told him that he definitely has enough sperm for ICSI but he also wanted to check and find why he has this condition. So he asked him to make few tests like hormones check, ultrasound and genetic test. We made the hormones and genetics and are waiting for UBC to give as a call to schedule the ultrasound. We called them a couple of times and still waiting.

This week we had the IVF consultation with a nurse and she told us that we’ll have to wait to get the genetic results first which will take probably 2 more months and than we can cycle in January 2009.
I hope in mean time that we’ll finish the ultrasound test as well.

I just wanted to keep you posted maybe we’ll cycle same time 

Thank you Minnie, you are right abouth the meds. The clinic confirmed your answer.

M2B
Me - 29 DH - 35

IVF #1 - January 2009
Jan 09 - Started Sinarel
ER (retrieved 17 eggs, 14 mature, 12 fertilized) and started Prometrium capsules
Beta negative, m/c

IVF #2 - July 2009

We are soooo happy!!!

#6 shmee

shmee
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

Hi M2B,

Thanks for the update! I actually booked IVF counselling today for January 26th so we are bit behind you. We'll be seeing Dr Allaire. I haven't met up with her yet. I hope to cycle in March/April, but we'll see how everything works out. I hope we have all our testing behind us... waiting for results and getting tests completed can be very frustrating. We are looking at ICSI as well due to having a limited amount of frozen samples.

Does anyone have a list of which meds they might prescribe for an average cycle of IVF? My husband might have coverage but I need the DIN (drug identification numbers) for his insurance to look them up for me. I am trying not to get my hopes up about drug coverage. Any help is sooo appreciated with IVF!

Good luck with the ultrasound and all the results!

shmee

#7 tryingforever

tryingforever
  • Cyclebase
  • 156 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:55 PM

I found this link which has DIN's. Good luck with your cycle.

http://www.ivfcanada...other_costs.cfm
TTC for 6 years
me=41 dh=44
Jan 07 - HSG - Right tube blocked
Feb 07 - Tubal Canalization perform to unblock tube - unsuccessful
Apr & May 07 - Clomid BFN x 2
July 07 - cancelled IUI - FSH too high to start
Aug 07 - 1st IUI - 2 follicles on left, 1 on right - BFN
Oct 07 - 2nd IUI - 1 med follicle on left, 1 lge on right - BFN
Dec 07 - HSG - now both tubes open???
Jan 08 - 3rd IUI - 5 large follicles - BFN
Apr 08 - 1st IVF cycle started and then cancelled due to poor response.
Jul 08 - 2nd IVF cycle cancelled again due to poor response. Converted to IUI - BFN
Oct 14 - 3rd IVF ER Oct 27, ET Oct 30 (only one 5 cell grade 1 transfered)
Nov 13 - BFN
Apr 09 - IVF #4 - BFN

#8 shmee

shmee
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the list! Another question I have is.... when do you find out what meds you will be prescribed for your cycle? I know the DIN's are different for each med even if the are just dispensed differently (ie the pens vs powders you mix)... too many things to worry about! I am stilll trying to figure out time off work as I live 8+ hours away from Vancouver, so i need a big swack of time off to cycle. I don't know if sick time can be used or would vacation time be a better option.... problem is this will take almost all my vacation and what if the cycle is cancelled? Ahhhh! Too many things to worrry about.

Thanks for any thoughts you can share!

shmee

#9 M2B

M2B
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:50 PM

Hi shmee,

You can send a letter (pre-determination) to the insurance company and ask them which of the following meds are covered. Don't forget to include the full names and DIN # for each Meds.
There is a chance that the doctor will prescribe those meds which are covered by your husband's insurance company. Of course if the doctor thinks that they'll work fine as it should be.
Ask the insurance company about it and once you get the answer talk with the doctor about his/her thoughts.

Take care,
M2B
Me - 29 DH - 35

IVF #1 - January 2009
Jan 09 - Started Sinarel
Beta negative, m/c

IVF #2 - July 2009

We are soooo happy!!!

#10 shmee

shmee
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for the info M2B. We called in the DINs and it looks like we're covered with hubby's medical. Yippee!! I just have to wait the 3 months until I'm covered and we have coverage. What a relief!
Hope all is going well!

shmee