- - - - -

Day 2 Testing - what is it for?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

I am doing an IUI starting with an estrogen patch that I've been on for a week (changing every 3 days) and took ganirelex for days 2-4 after started the patch. I'm waiting for AF now. My doctor wants me to go in for day 2 testing (ultrasound and bloodwork). Does anyone know what that would be for? I am then supposed to start follistim and repronex that night. How would these drugs affect these test results? In other words, if I went in on day 3 for these tests after taking follistim, how might these results vary? (I'm traveling and might not be able to get in for testing on day 2)
If anyone knows anything about this I would appreciate it. I think they want to get a baseline for the follicles maybe?? I'm not sure how this would vary one day after taking follistim. I also don't know what they are looking for in the blood. I will eventually ask my doctor, but they are getting tired of me calling with questions so I thought I'd throw it out here to see if anyone knew.
Thanks.

#2 Rosa

Rosa
  • Global 100+
  • 765 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Create IVF

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:07 PM

They always check you before starting stimulation to ensure you have no cysts and are able to continue with stimulation. They also check your lining and your bloods will tell them your estrogen level. As you stimulate your estrogen levels increase and they can tell from that how many mature follicles you have. Oh they also check your FSH level as well as a high FSH indicates reduced ovarian reserve.

At my clinic, you could go to see the doctor for cycle monitoring when starting an IUI on day 2, 3 or 4. For IVF they always wanted to see us on day 2.

You're probably best asking your clinic as I'm not sure if different clinics have different procedures. I don't think starting stimulation 1 day late would make a difference, but to be sure, I think you should speak to your clinic.
Me 45, DH 41
TTC 3 years
Uterine polyps, high prolactin levels and tested positive for anti-cardio lipin
5 failed IUI's
IVF #1 July 2007, 32 eggs retrieved (many immature), 12 fertilzed, 9 made it to day 3, transferred 3 embbies, BFN
FET #1 - 3 embryos Oct 07, beta Nov 2nd, another BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 2007, on Lupron and birth control pill, 11 days of stims 225 Gonal F plus 75 Repronex and 150 Gonal F at night, retrieved 18 eggs Dec 11th, 8 fertilized through ICSI and 4 naturally
Transfer - 3, 8 cell embryos Dec 14th, BETA Dec 28th, BFN
7 frozen
FET #2 - June 5/08, BFN
hysteroscopy and polypectomy on Sept 25/08, removed 1 polyp
FET #3 - used up my last 4 frosties Oct 27/08
Beta Nov 9/08 125 BFP 13dp3dt
Beta Nov 11/08 315 15dp3dt
Beta Nov 15/08 over 2000 19dp3dt
Beta Nov 18/08 7365 22dp3dt
U/S date Nov 29/08, a singleton, heart beat 131 beats per minute
U/S date Dec 7/08, heart beat 160 beats per minute, growth good 8 w 2 days
U/S date Dec 13/08, heart beat 157 beats per minute, growth good at 9 w 1 day, baby moving around
U/S date Dec 27/08, heart beat 165 beats per minute, growth good at 11 weeks 1 day, baby moving around, now has arms and legs and was kicking
nuchal test US Jan 2/08 TEXTBOOK NORMAL Thank you God!
IPS pregnancy test results NORMAL, risk is 1/800 of Down's Syndrome and 1/1,100 for spina bifida
anatomical u/s NORMAL, it's a girl!
Due date July 18, 2009 in the home stretch

Sophia Anne born July 22, 2009 at 12:41 AM via emergency C-Section.

Fell down the stairs Aug 4, 2010, fractured C7, T1, T3 and 4 ribs (neck and upper spine). Still healing and hoping bones fuse on their own.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:40 PM

Thanks Rosa. This helps alot! I appreciate you explaining this (I will speak with my doctor when CD1 arrives... I just didn't want to wait until then).