• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 2bamama

2bamama
  • 13 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Conceptia

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:05 PM

Hey everybody. I am a first time IVFer. My retrieval was on Monday (a day early). I am feeling really optimistic and it is scaring me to death. What are the chances that this will work the first time? I'm a pretty healthy 31 year old. Is there anyone out there that this worked the first time? Optimism, at this point, is scary. Any advice out there for the days following the transfer?
TTC since March 2003
Unexplained Inf.
1st IUI Dec 2007 -BFN
2nd IUI Feb 2008 -BFN
3rd IUI April 2008 -BFN
1st IVF July 2008 -BFN (No blasts/No FE)

2nd IVF December 2008- (2 blasts- Yay! One healthy baby BOY)
3rd IVF April 2011- (3 Blasts- Yay! Two healthy babies Boy and Girl)
???

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

:D Mama..well...does 2 BFP stories count!???
I have 2 friends who had BFP's with IVF on their 1st try.
1 friend had done IUI,ended in m/c early on...then tried IVF...and has 3 yr old twins now!!!
Another friend also had done several IUI...all -ve. Tried IVF and is currently pregnant with singleton!!
I know that you are freaking out...scared.
But...a positive attitude goes along way.
See....it does work out the 1st time for people!!!
Good luck to you!!!
The transfer back into you is SOOOO easy after the retrieval!! You'll do great!

#3 2bamama

2bamama
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the hope. As of today I have 6 embies under 30% with around 4 cells. The transfer is tomorrow. Yikes! All I can do, I guess is hope and pray for a pos. Thanks again.
TTC since March 2003
Unexplained Inf.
1st IUI Dec 2007 -BFN
2nd IUI Feb 2008 -BFN
3rd IUI April 2008 -BFN

???

#4 JanisG

JanisG
  • 52 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:51 AM

I agree with what patience said...think positive! Sometimes we focus on the negative stories about first timers but there are plenty of people out there who have gotten preggers on the first try with IVF and FET. We just need to think of those great success stories and believe that we can be one of those stories too!
The transfer was much easier than the retrieval so no worries there. Think happy thoughts and I'll definitely be sending you good vibes over the next few weeks. Keep us posted :)
Me 36 DH 47
Me no kids, DH 2 kids (DD and DS)
Sept '06 - Vasectomy reversal
TTC since reversal but no luck!
June '08 - IVF with ICSI - BFN
Oct '08 - FET - BFN
What now?!?

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:12 AM

I've done 1 IUI/bfn, and am pg on my first IVF so it can work. I've been doing acupuncture since March (before/after transfer also) and my dr advised 2 days of bed rest after transfer, and no heavy lifting (this is a challenge -- dd, groceries, housecleaning etc). Don't know if these things have made a difference but if anything goes wrong at least I'll feel I did everything possible.

Think positive and good luck!

Susan

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

:D Goog luck tomorrow Mama!!
I'll be thinking of you!
And bedrest for the 1st 2 days is a good idea...hanging out in lab and being pushed through the catheter back into you is stressful on those prescious embies....so being nice,relaxed and calm once their in there can't hurt!
And welcome to the longest 2 weeks of your life while you wait to see if this was sucessful!
Get lots of good easy read books to try to occupy your mind!

#7 ShebaB

ShebaB
  • 1000+
  • 1232 posts
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:16 PM

Best wishes for you tomorrow. You have all the chance in the world! I was 31 just like you and got pregnant with my daughter 1st try. Your chances are better than mine were. She was one out of 22 eggs that fertalized and she went back on day 3. You have them going back on day 5. After the transfer do nothing!!!! Pull out some movies sit on the couch and enjoy the next 2ww. Blessings to you!!!

Sheba
June 15, 2008 #1 beta 12dp5dt 727 #2 beta 15dp5dt 3946 #3 beta 18dp5dt 10,206

Posted Image

#8 jgeddes

jgeddes
  • 1000+
  • 1174 posts
  • My Clinic:london

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

Hi there,
we're a first time IVF success story! We transferred 2 day 3 embryos (9/10 cell) and are currently 36 weeks pregnant with a baby girl!! It does happen!! Good luck!!
me: 27 DH: 35
diagnosis: extreme male factor
IVF/ICSI: December 2007 *BFP*
beautiful baby girl born!

Lauren Claire born August 17, 2008! 6 lbs 13 oz!! we love everything about her!!
next step: we're ready to try again!
apointment with RE April 1, 2009 - appointment cancelled :( We were thinking about buying a bigger house, but the plans have changed....reality check tells us that we can't afford IF and a new house...:( so the house can wait!
FET planned for July/09......we're hoping to be blessed again!
June 30 - start syneral
July 13 - suppression check - good!
July 22 - lining check "more than perfect"
July 27 - FET! 1 six cell grade A, 1 8 cell grade B embroy transferred (one frosty remaining)
August 4 - HPT faint positive (x3)
August 5&6 - HPT BFP!!!! yay!!!!

Beta - August 10t = 796!!!!!
August 17th - started spotting and cramping
August 20 - bleeding bright red - beta 18996
August 22 - beta 27696
August 24 - early ultrasound shows one healthy little bean with a heartbeat!! measuring right on track at 6w3d!thank goodness!! fingerscrossed the bleeding stops soon!
September 3 - ultrasound looks good! one healthy bean! EDD April 16, 2010
October 4 - ++ heavy bleeding --> ER - ultrasound shows healthy happy baby, no explanation for bleeding. Off work for 2 weeks.
October 19 - ultrasound booked, if all is well I can go back to work! only back to work for 3 shifts and had another bleed :(
November 3rd - yet another ultrasound to try and figuring out all the bleeding (another big bleed today)...found "answers" but have to wait for appointment on November 5th to discuss results. ** it's a BOY!!! **
diagnosed with "chronic placental abruptions"...praying that our little boy hangs on!!

April 11, 2010 - Liam Reed born! 8lbs2oz, 21 inches long...we are in LOVE!!! thanking our lucky stars that this pregnancy is over and we have a healthy baby boy in our arms!!

#9 do re mi

do re mi
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:08 AM

2beamama,

Best of success today! You must be going in soon (if you're not already at the clinic)! I was there this morning actually! You'll do fine. The transfer is a BREEZE! Now, go home, get served by your DH and watch a few good chick flicks! Keep us posted on your 2WW. Thinking of you... :)
Doremi
[color="#0000FF"][size=1]Me 32, DH 38
TTC: 6 years
Male Factor IF
1st IVF/ICSI Jan 08 - BFN
March 2008 - FET - M/C at 6 weeks
2nd IVF/ICSI - Summer 2008 - BFP!!
DS born May 2nd 2009
August 2010 - FET - BFN
3rd and final IVF/ICSI - Jan/Feb 2011

#10 val42

val42
  • 31 posts
  • My Clinic:IVF Canada

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:06 AM

Hi 2bamama,

I noticed you did your ER a couple of days before me. Mine was on Wednesday the 30th, and a 3 day ET this past Saturday. I was just wondering how your transfer went, and how you are feeling?

Val
me: 44 dh: 46
4 failed IUIs
May, 2008-first IVF cycle canceled on day 11
July-Antagonist protocol
ER July 30th, 2008
ET August 2nd, 2008-1 8 cell B grade, 1 4 cell B grade, 1 4 cell C grade.
2ww-hoping for the most wonderful birthday gift ever...
BFN

#11 2bamama

2bamama
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:42 AM

Well, the transfer went well. That is it was not that uncomfortable. The nurse that helped was absolutely negative... there were no embies left to freeze ( or at least they suggested they wouldn't do well). They transfered 3 embies because the quality was not great. #1 was 10 cells at 15% fragmentation; #2 was 8 cells at 25% and the last was 8 cells at 20%. I have no idea if that is good or not, but the nurse made it sound terrible. Instead of saying sometimes there is a chance that it won't work, she said that there is a slim chance that it might work. It has seriously set a damper on the whole experience. Not once did she give us a positive word. I am trying to keep positive...

Today is day 6 of 2ww. I am covered in acne and I am not sure if it because my period is coming or if it is the drugs leaving the system. Anyone else suffer from acne side effects? I am reading into every little thing. My breasts are very sore, which is usually a sign of my period, but I wouldn't usually have the soreness for weeks before my AF.

Thanks so much for the encouraging words... it means the world,

(want)2 b a mama :icon_cry: :lol: (so badly).
TTC since March 2003
Unexplained Inf.
1st IUI Dec 2007 -BFN
2nd IUI Feb 2008 -BFN
3rd IUI April 2008 -BFN

???

#12 2bamama

2bamama
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

Hi 2bamama,

I noticed you did your ER a couple of days before me. Mine was on Wednesday the 30th, and a 3 day ET this past Saturday. I was just wondering how your transfer went, and how you are feeling?

Val

I am feeling blue, but the soreness around the lower abdomen has gone away after a few days. I took the few days of bed rest suggested and I have stayed away from heavy lifting and everything. How are you doing? Any strange symptoms?
TTC since March 2003
Unexplained Inf.
1st IUI Dec 2007 -BFN
2nd IUI Feb 2008 -BFN
3rd IUI April 2008 -BFN

???

#13 do re mi

do re mi
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

Hi 2bamama!

I'm sorry your Transfer wasn't a positive experience for you. The nurse should've been more careful with her words. Your 10 cell looks like it would have a really good chance of hanging on for the long run! I wouldn't despair if I were you...although I know that's easier said than done! Keep thinking positively and go rent a few funny movies to lift your spirits.
As for the acne and sore breasts....I was the same way for both cycles. And like you too, sore breasts are associated with my period. But for my FET, I got both (acne and sore breasts) and I was pregnant! It's nearly impossible to go by the symptoms because we're pumped full of hormones. Do your best to not analyse too much before your scheduled b/w.
For my FET, I thought for sure I wasn't pregnant, and I was! So you just never know!

Keep us posted. We're all here for you.
Doremi :)
Male Factor IF
DS born May 2nd 2009
August 2010 - FET - BFN

#14 JanisG

JanisG
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:36 PM

Hi 2bamama,
I hope you are not feeling too discouraged and you took doremi's advice on the funny movies. Watch some Wil Ferrel, he'll cheer you up! Something silly that lets your mind rest. I found that I had a hard time clearing my mind and not thinking about anything, especially at night. There was always a million different thoughts racing through my head right when I was trying to get to sleep. I would complain to my DH that I couldn't fall asleep and he would tell me to clear my mind and focus on the back of my eyelids. He then would promptly fall asleep and I would still be wide awake. Men are so weird...sometimes I have to remember that I am actually choosing to procreate with mine ;) Anyway....my point to all this...although I may have lost you by now...is try to find something that distracts you and if you can laugh a lot then that is good too.
Janis

PS. About the sore breast thing...I felt like Jugs Mahoney the whole time....I swear to god they are still bigger than when I started all of this!
Me 36 DH 47
Oct '08 - FET - BFN
What now?!?

#15 2bamama

2bamama
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:50 AM

The Worst News...

Two days before my blood test and Old Aunt Flow screeched her way back into my world. I swear, sometimes I only want to make it to the blood test. The worst part is that I don't think that I can try again until next summer. I am a teacher and I did the whole IUI thing during the school year and I was totally distracted and I had a horrible year. IVF, I'm sure, would be much worse. I don't even know, when have you girls ever gotten back on the horse? Is it right away or do you take some time? My DH wants to try this fall, but I am not sure that that is a good idea.

I'm feeling like the weather is reflecting my mood.
TTC since March 2003
Unexplained Inf.
1st IUI Dec 2007 -BFN
2nd IUI Feb 2008 -BFN
3rd IUI April 2008 -BFN

???

#16 do re mi

do re mi
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:38 AM

Hi 2bamama,

I'm so sorry that it didn't work out for you. I remember feeling so numb after getting the phone call from the clinic announcing my b/w was negative. This is such a devastating process to go through. We put all of our hopes into this procedure and when it doesn't work, you wonder why us?...why can't it just work? There are no guarantees, but still, we keep hoping to be in the 50% for whom it does work.

For me, I had my FET as soon as I could (they say to have a few periods so that your system clears itself of the meds and gets back to normal again. I know that for myself, doing this 2nd fresh IVF cycle in the summer was better for me. My first one was in December/January and I was just too busy and stressed.
It is important to listen to your instincts on this because it's such a huge investment (both emotionally and financially). Don't rush into a decision right away. Take time to heal and focus on the positives in your life. Go out for supper with friends, go for a "before school" shopping spree...

I will keep you in my thoughts.
Doremi
Male Factor IF
DS born May 2nd 2009
August 2010 - FET - BFN

#17 JanisG

JanisG
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

Ah crap, sorry for your results 2bamama, that sucks. I hope you are managing alright.
I found the first couple of days really hard after my negative but then I just wanted to get going and do it all again. For us it is a time thing though. Although I am only 33, my hubby is 44 and I don't want him to be ancient by the time we manage to have a baby! If you have the luxury of waiting, then take all of the time you need and figure out the best time of year that you can do it. I would think the winter months would be hard if you live outside of Moncton just because of all of the driving. I know my hubby wouldn't be too happy if we had to battle snow storms just for a 20 minute appointment for u/s and bw. You'll figure it all out....don't stress about it right now though, take some time for you. I highly recommend a strawberry margarita (or three) :)
Me 36 DH 47
Oct '08 - FET - BFN
What now?!?