4 replies to this topic

#1 Silke

Silke
  • 196 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:35 AM

Hi Ladies,
I've heard many different recommendations about restrictions after embryo transfer ranging from 2 days of complete bedrest to "do whatever you want in moderation". Hmmm.... At the minimum, I'd like to see my accupuncturist on the day of transfer, and this means walking a few blocks and using public transit! I'm 42, so I would take any recommendation very seriously.

What kind of recommendations do your clinics make?
Me: 42 DH: 39
3 cycles with Serophene only
3 failed IUI attempts (with Serophene)
1 chemical pregnancy in June '08 (natural conception)
IVF/ICSI #1 July/ Aug 2008. Two 3-day grade 1 embies transferred. BFN
3 IUI's on natural cycles while waiting for next round of IVF
IVF #2 - January 2009. Two 3-day Grade 1 embies transferred (one 8 cell; one 9 cell). BFN

#2 stillsmiling

stillsmiling
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:yoga, gardening, home repair tasks, reading
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:NFC

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:07 AM

Hi,

My RE put me on 5 days of complete bedrest--- with only BR breaks. However, I have seen many people talk about getting accupuncture after ET and others who were just told to lounge about for a couple of days. I think the most important thing is not to do anything strenuous. My thought is to do whatever your RE says and ask him/her your specific questions.

Best luck to you! When is your ET scheduled?

Cindy
DP (Joey) 36, me (Cindy) 36
1st IVF January 08
02/07/2008 BFP then m/c
2nd IVF Sept 08 =BFN
3rd IVF Feb 09 = another BFN
changing directions
partner 6 IUI's all BFN
July 2009, started donor egg cycle.
ET Sept 11 = another BFN
One more DE cycle hopefully in January 2010.

Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark.

my blog http://cindysblog-ba...e.blogspot.com/

#3 Hero08

Hero08
  • 690 posts
  • My Clinic:Foothills - Regional Fertility Program

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:09 AM

Hi Silke,

I'm 42 as well and almost 9 weeks pregnant with twins from my very first ivf. My clinic didn't have many restrictions - just no sex, no lifting over 10 lbs and no swimming, hot tubs etc.... I wasn't big on bedrest so I ended up doing a lot of gardening and I have to admit I probably over did it a couple of times. On the day of transfer we drove back home about 3 hours - they told us to get out and walk around about halfway home so we did that. The next day I went to acupuncture and started living my life again. I still took it easy and didn't go to work for a week afterwards but I couldn't just lay around or it would have driven me nuts. Obviously whatever I did worked...Hope this helps.
Me: 43 DH: 38
TTC for 4 years
3 iuis w/ clomid
1 1/2 yrs TCM
IVF #1 a success!
ER June 12, 2008 ET June 15 (5 transferred)
Beta June 29 1133
First Ultrasound July - 2 heartbeats
Official Due Date Mid Feb 2009 (38 weeks)
Gabriella Rose (5lb 14oz) and Chloe Jane (6lb 3oz)
born 5am Feb 19, 2009

#4 Ope

Ope
  • Cyclebase
  • 2138 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility for now

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:57 AM

Although I am not in that age group yet, I didn't do complete bedrest either, and my clinic never suggested it only no sex, no excersize, no heavy lifting, and no hot tubs.
I did acupuncture the day on the transfer right before the transfer. My acupuncturist said it is good both right before and right after, but actually the right before part maybe even more beneficial. So if you planning to do acupuncture on the day of the transfer, try to set up a session before it as well.

Anyway I had transfer Friday morning, and we walked back to our hotel after that ( ~1km). For the rest of the day and next day I stayed mainly in bed watching tv, surfing on the internet, but we went down to the hotel restaurant for dinner and things like that. On Sunday we flew back to Edmonton ( 4 hr flight+ other transportations), picked up or doggy from the kennel and took him for a walk. On Monday I went back to work, but I have a mainly sitting office job.

There are lots of ladies who didn't do bedrest and had BFP. However if you are afraid that activities may effect your outcome, do the bedrest maybe give you a peace of mind that you did everything you could to get positive outcome.
right now me : 37 Dh:40

TTC #1: natural TTC 1.5 yrs
Dh: 35, Severe Male factor infertility, morphology is 1-2%
Me: 32 , tubes open, no endo, regular ovulation, all hormones are good, 3rd day FSH 5.3 , antral follicle count is 12, only problem is my weight BMI: 30

IVF/ ICSI #1: 2008 February -McGill, Montreal
Long protocol: BCP for 1 month, burselin from CD21, 300 Gonal F and 150 Luveris for 10 days
ER: 11 egg , 6 mature , 5 fertilized, 3rd day transfer:a 7 cell & an 8 cell embyos, no frosties.
1st beta : 13dp3dt: 77, BFP
2008,November 19th: Adam has arrived 7 lb 4 oz, 21"

TTC #2: natural TTC 1.5 yr
Dh :39 morphology went up to 4%, we meet the IUI cutoff! count are fluctuating from 30 to 105 million, motility is great. Caryotyping is normal
Me: 36 FSH is slightly elevated and keep rising 8.5, 8.8, 8.9, 9.8 , AFC is still 12, everything else looks good.

IUI #1: Edmonton, 2011 January ,Clomid 50mg (x5), 106 mil ,68% motile, grade 4 :BFN
IUI #2: Edmonton, 2011 February, Clomid 50mg (x5), 30 mil, 57% motile, grade 3: BFN
IUI #3: Edmonton, 2011 March, Clomid 50mg (x5), 88 mil , 49% motile, grade 4: BFN
IVF#2: 2011 May, Edmonton: long protocol , nasal suprefact : CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
IVF#3: 2011 August, Edmonton: short protocol/natural start: CANCELLED due to high progesterone
IVF#4: 2001 September, Edmonton: short protocol with BCP: CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
Change clinic

IVF #5: 2012 March-April Hungary: stimulation starts march 28, 300 Menopur
mixed protocol: BCP for months, CD3: Menopur 300& lupron for 8 days
ER : April 8th , 4 eggs retrieved, all were mature and fertilized with ICSI and AH
ET : April 11th, 1 A quality 8 cell, and 1 A quality 4 cell embryo transferred, no frosties.
BFP on the HPT at 7dp3dt: happy 37th birthday to me :D
Beta: , 12dp3dt: 150, 2nd Beta, 15dp3dt: 550
Anna has arrived on 21st December after being induced at 39 week. She is 6 lb 9 oz, 20" , and has blue eyes, and long dark brown hair and just perfect !

#5 Silke

Silke
  • 196 posts
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:50 PM

Thanks everyone. My ET is tomorrow. My clinic doesn't really recommend bedrest and I was a bit worried because others do. I've rented a pile of videos and intend to be a couch potato all day tomorrow, and part of the day on Thurs. After that, I think I"ll just take it easy. I'm usually very active and bedrest would really stress me out!

Hero - great news on the twins! Gives me hope!

Congrats to you too Ope.
Me: 42 DH: 39
3 cycles with Serophene only
3 failed IUI attempts (with Serophene)
1 chemical pregnancy in June '08 (natural conception)
IVF/ICSI #1 July/ Aug 2008. Two 3-day grade 1 embies transferred. BFN
3 IUI's on natural cycles while waiting for next round of IVF
IVF #2 - January 2009. Two 3-day Grade 1 embies transferred (one 8 cell; one 9 cell). BFN