How is your Heartland experience, IVF and egg donors in Manitoba? - Heartland - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

How is your Heartland experience, IVF and egg donors in Manitoba?

ivf eggdonor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EuroMixCeltNord

EuroMixCeltNord
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Lil ones, Camping, Adventure Travel, Hiking, Swimming, Mountains, Guitar, Musics, Science, Novels, Classical Music, Good food
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:28 PM

Want to ask how people here have had with their Heartland and experiences because my wife and I just went to Heartland for our first consult. I asked this is another older post today too but this seems to be the place.

We are in our 40s, new to Winnipeg from the West so want to get some independent views of IVF in Manitoba and Heartland.

We now just need a healthy local healthy egg donor to complete everything and move forwarad, though we have found a great egg donor here on IVF.ca but they are far away and would add $5 to $20k to cost f the procedure due to timing and the cycles.

Still, we hope try again this spring or summer.

Any help, advice and thoughts on Heartland and MB donors would be welcome.

EuroMix

- EuroMix

#2 Lamport

Lamport
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:27 PM

It's honestly very hit or miss. I've been a program patient there for two years (IUI 6 times and now moving on to IVF). Since they are the only game in town they have a lot of patients and it can take months to get an appointment. You really have to advocate strongly for yourself and follow up with phone calls. I was told I'd have to wait six months for an initial consultation, but cut that down to a month because I called and asked if there were any cancellations. 

If you plan to pursue IVF be aware that they don't run the IVF program in the month of July. Ever. That was news to me a few days ago. 

The worst part is the sheer number of people who your file gets delegated to from step to step. I was in the clinic for an appointment, met with the doc, was passed off to a nurse, who then told me another nurse would follow up. The nurse then makes more appointment by phone and then the process begins all over again. Procedures that could be seen to in one visit end up taking three or four. The paperwork they provide looks like it was originally printed when the clinic opened twenty years ago - not the quality you'd expect considering what you pay. Not sure how up to date their methods are. 

I've spoken to incredibly helpful and friendly nurses and doctors, and I've also been belittled and talked down to for communication issues that were not my fault (I once left a morning ultrasound without paying because there was literally no one at the front desk to process my payment, and they knew I'd be back the next day to pay. They also mailed requisitions for blood work that I didn't receive because of the mail strike - I had visited the clinic in person in the month since they sent the req and no one said anything about it, then the nurse threatened to withhold my treatment that cycle because the blood work wasn't done).

You really don't ever see the same docs or nurses twice. There are also a number of intern doctors passing through who have no qualms taking up more of your time by using you as a guinea pig to practice their ultrasound techniques on.

TLDR; It's a real Jekyl and Hyde situation. If I had the money and the time I would go elsewhere.

• pearljam1997, CdnHockeyGal and Bee123 like this

#3 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

It's honestly very hit or miss. I've been a program patient there for two years (IUI 6 times and now moving on to IVF). Since they are the only game in town they have a lot of patients and it can take months to get an appointment. You really have to advocate strongly for yourself and follow up with phone calls. I was told I'd have to wait six months for an initial consultation, but cut that down to a month because I called and asked if there were any cancellations. 

If you plan to pursue IVF be aware that they don't run the IVF program in the month of July. Ever. That was news to me a few days ago. 

The worst part is the sheer number of people who your file gets delegated to from step to step. I was in the clinic for an appointment, met with the doc, was passed off to a nurse, who then told me another nurse would follow up. The nurse then makes more appointment by phone and then the process begins all over again. Procedures that could be seen to in one visit end up taking three or four. The paperwork they provide looks like it was originally printed when the clinic opened twenty years ago - not the quality you'd expect considering what you pay. Not sure how up to date their methods are. 

I've spoken to incredibly helpful and friendly nurses and doctors, and I've also been belittled and talked down to for communication issues that were not my fault (I once left a morning ultrasound without paying because there was literally no one at the front desk to process my payment, and they knew I'd be back the next day to pay. They also mailed requisitions for blood work that I didn't receive because of the mail strike - I had visited the clinic in person in the month since they sent the req and no one said anything about it, then the nurse threatened to withhold my treatment that cycle because the blood work wasn't done).

You really don't ever see the same docs or nurses twice. There are also a number of intern doctors passing through who have no qualms taking up more of your time by using you as a guinea pig to practice their ultrasound techniques on.

TLDR; It's a real Jekyl and Hyde situation. If I had the money and the time I would go elsewhere.

This.  Exactly this.

I would seriously consider weighing the costs of a VFC or an Olive vs Heartland.  You're paying...it's my experience HL never remembers that.

It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#4 Bee123

Bee123
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:heartland

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:05 PM

I agree 100% with the above reply.

The doctors are really nice, but it'll be once in a blue moon that you see your actual assigned doctor. I personally came on here to see if anyone else has had similar experiences because of how the nurses and adminstrative staff talk to me.
This province needs another option for fertility.
If I were earlier in my process and knew what I knew now, I'd be seriously looking into going to Fargo.