PGT-A - IVF/FET/IUI Cycle Buddies - IVF.ca Forums

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

PGT-A


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 babybabydust

babybabydust
  • Member
  • 36 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:11 PM

Our clinic didn't really tell us much about the PGT-A testing just that it was an option, and at our age we should consider it.  We did some research on our own and decided to do it.  My husband tells me today that he is not sure if he wants to do the testing as he feels it is too risky to have nothing to transfer.

 

I feel so on the fence now, and can't really find enough information on line to really make a stance.  Currently I have 11 follicles and ER should be in a few days.

 

Wondering if anyone is around 40 and thought about testing.

 

Did you do it?  or Did you decide against it?  What were the reasons?


Me:40  DH: 42

 

PCOS, one blocked tube.

Currently in IVF cycle

 


#2 Aimeehug

Aimeehug
  • Global 100+
  • 474 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:St. Albert
  • Interests:Writing, reading, volleyball, yoga, watching TV
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:24 PM

Decided against it because Im only 33 and have no real reason to do it. I also have low AMH and wasnt expecting a lot of eggs and didnt see the point of paying so much money to test the few I might get. Cheaper to just try them one by one if there werent many. If I thought I was going to have a lot of eggs to test, I probably wouldve done it. I had 10 follicles and got 6 eggs, 5 turned to blasts

me: 34 DH: 35 TTC since: Sep 2015

 

Jan 2018- Lap for Endo, and septum removal surgery

Mar-Aug 2018- 3 failed IUIs

Nov 2018- IVF...got my very first ever positive. 

Dec 19 2018- confirmed loss. at 5 weeks. cry.gif

Feb. 2019- preparing for first FET. Let's do this!

March 13, 2019- Transfer date for FET #1

March 18, 2019- turned 34 and got a squinter 5dp5dt.

March 22, 2019- Positive Beta! 

April 8, 2019- 1st ultrasound. all good except a small SCH.


#3 karmapawz

karmapawz
  • Global 100+
  • 203 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:BC, Canada
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility

Posted 18 February 2019 - 05:59 PM

Usually you can put off making the decision about going ahead with testing until they are "in the dish" so to speak. You may have to pay for the PGT-A at the beginning of your cycle, but they'll refund the PGT-A portion if you choose not to go ahead. It might be an easier decision to make when you have a better idea on how many embryo's you have to test.

 

I did not use PGT-A on my first IVF when I was 38. I was successful on that one, but then the FET with the 2 remaining frozen embryo's was a m/c & took a long time to clear up. I did not want to go through that again so opted for PGT-A this time. I wanted to know that I was putting in genetically healthy embryo's. The biggest factor for me was the lower chance of m/c.

 

Hopefully you & your husband come to an agreement that works for both of you.


Me: 41, TTC #2

2005-2015: multiple IUI's, only 1 bfp which ended in m/c @ 6wks. 8388.gif

2015: IVF #1 (Puregon/Menopur/Orgalutran) th_abfp.gif Daughter born 02/2016

2017: FET #1 positive, but low heartrate & ended in m/c 8388.gif

2019: IVF #2 (Estrace/Puregon/Menopur/Orgalutran) w/CCS Testing

21 retrieved, 19 mature, 16 fertilized, 7 biopsied = 3 normal & 1 mosaic frozen

 

FET #2 - February 2019

02/10: transferred 1 day six 5bb embryo

02/14: 4dp6dt th_abfp.gif

03/08: u/s #1 - 6w3d [email protected]

03/28: u/s #2 - 9w2d [email protected]

04/17: first midwife appt


#4 Rach357113

Rach357113
  • Global 100+
  • 350 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Texas Tech Reproduction

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

I was 33 when we did our IVF cycle and we did PGS testing which is similar (that was just the testing offered by our clinic).

We opted for it because of the reduced risk of m/c from 33% to 8% when you know you are transferring a chromosomally normal embryo as apposed to an untested one.

My thinking with regards to your husband's argument of not having anything to transfer is that if that is what the result would be then all the transfers you would do wouldn't not lead to a term pregnancy (whether you would m/c early or later). Another reason we did it was to have the best chance of avoiding the heartache after heartache that multiple failed transfers would cause.

When we were waiting on our results I kept telling myself that if I didn't get any normal result then I could grieve all at once instead of hope after hope being dashed with every transfer that was never going to end up in a live birth to begin with. The testing won't cause the results, that would be the result this way you will just know and be as informed as possible.

We got really lucky and 5 out of the 6 embryos that made it to day 5 tested normal and I am currently 25 weeks pregnant after our first transfer.

More than just the result of the testing I think it gave me some peace of mind, there are sooooo many unknowns in this process that at least I knew that our normal embie had the possibility of being a baby and we weren't just transferring an beyond that could never have made it in the first place.

Me: 33 DH: 32

DX: Me: PCOS, DH:Vasectomy

 

IVF#1 Feb 2018

 

         Feb 22nd - ER - 14 retrieved, 10 fertilized

         Feb 28th - 6 biopsied and frozen

         Mar 06th - PGS results - 5 Normal, 1 inconclusive(sample didn't have enough DNA matter to test)

         May 15th - Had surgery to remove fibroids.

 

        FET#1

        Sept 6th - Lining check(8mm) and Bloods (E2=405, P4=<1) All good smile.png

        Sept 13th - FET

        Sept 24th - Beta      - 11dp5dt - th_abfp.gif  HCG=185

        Sept 27th - Beta #2 - 14dp5dt -                HCG=633

        Oct 1st     - Beta #3 - 18dp5dt -                HCG=3,528 

        Oct 4th     - Beta #4 -  21dp5dt -               HCG=6,857

        Oct 8th     - Beta #5 -  25dp5dt -               HCG=13,442

        Oct 11th   - U/S #1   -  28dp5dt -               Calendar=6wk 5dys - GA=6wk 3dys - FHR=127bpm yahoo.gif preggo.gif

        Oct 23rd   -U/S #2   -  40dp5dt -               Calendar=8wk 3dys - GA=8wk 2dys - FHR=176bpm

        Nov 8th    - U/S#3   -   56dp5dt -               Calender=10wk 5dys - GA=10wk 3dys - FHR=180bpm

        Nov 26th  - O/B appt  - Everything went great and little bean is on track!


#5 dangey

dangey
  • Global 100+
  • 206 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:29 PM

Im 43 and we did it at 42. My doc recommended that if we had more than 2 blasts to do it. We had three blasts from the 13 retrieved and only one was normal. Finding out tomorrow if that one took!

#6 Esterk2002

Esterk2002
  • Global 100+
  • 105 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:BC
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:10 PM

I am 39 and decided to do it. I agree with everything Rach357113 said. I was willing to do it even if we would have had only 1 blast.
Good luck!
2018: 3 failed IUIs
January 2019 IVF+ ICSI+CCS: 24 eggs retrieved, 12 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI, 6 biopsied and frozen blastocysts: 2 normals, 2 abnormals and 2 mosaic
FET #1 February/March 2019:
March 4- transferred one 5AA embryo - BFP (10dp5dt) Beta #1: 163 (11dp5dt) #2 (6 days later): 3099
April 2- 1st u/s: 6w4d, hb: 120 bpm
April 16- 2nd u/s: 8w5d, hb:167 bpm
April 17- embryo gender results: XY
EDD: Nov. 20th, 2019

#7 hw209

hw209
  • Global 100+
  • 131 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Calgary Regional Fertility Program

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

I did it, I was 37 at the time of my retrieval and have a history of early losses. Doctors suspect they were due to embryo issues. Ive wasted so much time being a little bit pregnant, miscarrying and having to wait for things to resolve before trying again that I want to have the best chance of having a healthy pregnancy. Im not getting any younger and ultimately would like to have two children so time is not on my side. I was fortunate enough to get 13 blasts and when the results came back only 5 were normal. I feel I made the right decision, it could have taken us a long time to get a good one if we were randomly putting them back in. Im doing my first transfer on Thursday and am quite hopeful this will finally give me my rainbow.

#8 Wonderbaby

Wonderbaby
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:37 PM

Hi!! We did it because it is my husband. I had miscarried 2 times trying naturally. And miscarried with IUI. Doctor felt that it was sperm related (although can never be too sure as there are many factors). We chose a specific protocol. If we get 3 or less embryos, then we will NOT do it. If we get 4 or more, we will do it. Doctor also recommended this strategy. Well, we got 4. So we did it. After we received the results, only 1 of our 4 embryos were normal. The other 3 would have either not stuck, or miscarried 100%. Since the issue is with my husband (motility and quality) this is helpful for us to decide if we want to spend the money to do IVF again. Also, saves time as we can't use the other 3. Keep in mind... the ones that are not normal are discarded and cannot be used. Our only good embryo is a 6AA which is an excellent grade. So if this works... we now know that we can make a good embryo together.. and would try one more time if this one dosent stick. Hope this helps a bit! Xo

#9 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:46 PM

We ended up not doing it because we have a funded cycle through OHIP which covers all the FETs from that egg retrieval. We were very lucky and got a BFP with the first FET but now that I've done this process I'm realizing having BFNs and miscarriages is not a very fun way to sort through embryos. Even if your FETs are covered the drugs and your time are not free. The older you are and the more embryos you get, the more likely it is cost effective to do the testing. Also I read somewhere something like 1/3 of IVF patients give up with embryos still in the freezer so some people just can't go on after failures. On the other hand, I don't know if we would have done anything differently because we were considering doing a second IVF cycle for embryo banking and wanted to hang onto the cash.