• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bench17

Bench17
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:16 PM

Hi friends,

First time posting here. My future DF has a young son via IVF with his former partner. We are in Calgary. I don't think I have any issues on the fertility front myself (his count is almost zero). IVF was successful before and may be for us if we choose to pursue that path.

Problem is, I don't know where to start. Everything I've read about the "Regional Fertility Program" in Calgary is overwhelmingly negative. The reviews are simply awful. My future DH went through that program last time and never wants to set foot in the place again. And I'm reading similar reviews for the new clinic in Calgary, "Effortless IVF."

For those of you in the Western Canada or Calgary area, where do you recommend starting this process? Is the RFP not as bad as it seems? Or are we smarter to look out of province, as there are some great clinics with very positive reviews in BC and Saskatchewan.

Thoughts appreciated!

#2 hw209

hw209
  • Global 100+
  • 131 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Calgary Regional Fertility Program

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:58 PM

I am with RFP in Calgary and Ive found it really depends on the doctor. I started out with Dr. Scott and I found her bedside manner dreadful. (Ive heard similar comments from several others.) I ended up switching doctors and now see Dr. Min and hes great. Ive also dealt with Dr. Foong quite a bit and she seems great too. My first IVF cycle in November went really well and I found the nurses great to deal with and very helpful. I did PGS so Im currently prepping for my first FET. You could always book an initial consultation (and request a specific doctor) and see what you think...

#3 Sarita

Sarita
  • 23 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:00 PM

I had 3 bad experiences with RFP and for the next cycle I am going to Vancouver. I don't know about the clinic in Edmonton but in Calgary we even changed the doctors and still not happy with them. they are never available when you have a question. they operate based on voice messaging which every time left me so frustrated.

they told me to try a new protocol which had completely opposite effect on my body. with lots and lots of hormones I injected they finally told me every cycle is different and that's why I didn't have enough egg! 

I totally recommend you try other clinics. 

#4 Aimeehug

Aimeehug
  • Global 100+
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, volleyball, yoga, watching TV
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

Im at the PCRM in Edmonton. Its definitely depends on the doctors. I belong to the edmonton infertility fb group and seems like Dr Daniel is the one not to go to.
Dr ahn (my doctor) has good reviews and I like her.
Sometimes its hard to keep faith with doctors since theres so many unknowns in this process. I havent always been happy with my experience here, and sometimes I questions the decisions. Also I sometimes feel like a number instead of a person.
However, nothing bad enough that Ive thought of switching.

me: 34 DH: 35 TTC since: Sep 2015

Jan 2018- Lap for Endo, and septum removal surgery

Mar-Aug 2018- 3 failed IUIs

Nov 2018- IVF...got my very first ever positive. 

Dec 19 2018- confirmed loss. at 5 weeks. cry.gif

Feb. 2019- preparing for first FET. Let's do this!

March 13, 2019- Transfer date for FET #1

March 18, 2019- turned 34 and got a squinter 5dp5dt.

March 22, 2019- Positive Beta! 

April 8, 2019- 1st ultrasound. all good except a small SCH.

#5 ML888

ML888
  • Global 100+
  • 161 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:14 PM

We did our IVF cycle in 2016, and just recently our FET, at the RFC. Although there were some minor frustrations, I thought overall they were pretty good. I was understanding of the fact that they are a big clinic with lots of patients, but high success though. I agree with other peoples comments about the doctors. My main doctor was dr. Foong, and she was great, and so accommodating. For a lot of the procedures I had dr. Min, and I liked him a lot too. Perhaps get a few referrals to RFC and other places. Go for the first appointments and see how you feel, ask a lot of questions. Good luck!

#6 Sinoed

Sinoed
  • 8 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:22 PM

If you can afford the extra costs of travel, hotel etc. I highly recommend VFC in Victoria. I live in Northern Alberta and the closest clinic to me is PCRM in Edmonton. Unfortunately when the provincial government stopped funding the Women’s Fertility clinic and Regional health center at the Royal Alex in Edmonton in 2017 all of the IVF patients were sent to PCRM (myself included). I called a few clinics and did a lot of research into my options and eliminated RFP in Calgary. Many women commented about the inability to actually talk to someone when you have a problem, terrible follow through and rotating doctors which wasn’t what I wanted.

I ended up getting a referral to PCRM from my doctor in Edmonton and a referral to VFC from my GP in May of 2018. I called both and was put on a waiting list for a consult at both clinics. My consultation with VFC (which was my first choice) happened in June, I started my first cycle in late September and when PCRM finally called me it was to schedule my initial consult in November. If timing is an issue, think carefully about where you want to go.

At VFC, Dr. Hudson prepared and knew my entire medical history when he spoke to us during the consult. He asked several questions and made sure to include my husband in the whole process by asking him about his thoughts etc. After our consult was done, he emailed a summarized history, his recommendations for treatment and the risks. I have _never_ had a doctor as thorough as he is.

Since then I’ve completed 3 retrievals with the clinic for embryo banking. There is always a number to call if you have questions, the staff are absolutely fantastic and they regularly check in with me to make sure I’m doing ok after a procedure. Phone calls and messages are returned (usually) within a half hour to an hour which is really great when you’re investing so much and have a question.

The costs for the clinic itself are pretty comparable to others and they have a banking plan that is very reasonable (if not cheaper than most). The only downside is the location itself. Victoria is a beautiful summer tourist town where hotels are booked months in advance in high season. Price wise, reasonable options like the Howard Johnson can still run $200/nt on average in the summer and you will need to be in Victoria for 8 days when cycling. There are cheaper options like b&b’s and apartments but you’ll need to research those - hotels and food can add a huge tab.

Personally, I wouldn’t go anywhere else since the clinic is amazing, but if you don’t live in Victoria the extra expenses can really add up.

HTH.
Me: 39, DH: 46 TTC: 2.5 yrs (Femara)
BFP (natural) Nov 2017, Stillborn Apr 2017 @ 23 wks due to IC 😢

IVF ER #1 - Aug 2018. Antagonist - 300iu Puregon, 75iu Repronex, 250mcg Orgalutran, 2x Decapeptyl trigger.
Ret. 20 eggs, 17 mature. Fertilized 5/6 with ICSI, 5/11 IVF.
Day 3 - still have 10. 😊
Day 5 - 7 frosties on ice.

IVF ER #2 - Sept 2018. Antagonist - 300iu Puregon, 75iu Repronex, 250mcg Orgalutran, 2x Decapeptyl trigger.
Left ovary too high for safe retrieval, crossing fingers for the right.
Devastated! Right ovary way too high as well, couldnt push them down. Ret. 4 eggs, only 2 made it, 2 more frosties.

IVF ER #3 - Feb 2019. Antagonist - 225iu Puregon, 75iu Repronex, 250mcg Orgalutran, 3x Decapeptyl trigger.
Left ovary too high again! Ret 19 eggs from right, 17 mature. Fertilized 12/17 with ICSI and 5/17 naturally.
Day 3 - still have 17.

#7 BabyDreamer9

BabyDreamer9
  • Global 100+
  • 103 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program-Calgary

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:51 PM

I have been at RFP in Calgary since 2013. I have had 2 IVF's and 3 FET's. 1st IVF we conceived our son, who is now 3 years old. 1st FET I had a cp, 2nd FET failed, 2nd IVF I miscarried at 11 weeks and I am now currently 3dp5dt from our 3rd and final FET. I have also had 2 laprascopic surgeries from my doctor at the clinic. Over the years I have had dealings with all the doctors at some point. They are all very clinical and tell you how it is. Dr Min and Dr.Okeane are who I have had the most interactions with. I like both of them, they are kind, explain everything very clearly, and they take their time during appointments. They always make sure you are comfortable with the protocol, etc and will always answer any questions that you have.
The answering system is a bit of a pain in the butt, although I have never waited more then a couple of hours for a returned phone call from a nurse as an active IVF patient. All the nurses that I have had interactions with have been very positive. They are all so sweet and very empathetic. Pharmacy is wonderful too. They make sure you are 100 percent confident in your administration of the medications. I have a boatload of allergies and they are extremely diligent in that regard. There reviews may not be so great on the world wide web but not many people give reviews unless it's a negative experience, it's not too often that people with a positive experience share it.
I encourage you to have a consultation at the clinic and get a good feel of it for yourself. I felt welcomed from day 1....granted I have also spent over 30 grand there since 2013....and I know their success rates are some of the highest in the country. All the best to you on your journey. ♥️

#8 Dijon1975

Dijon1975
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:43 PM

Ladies,

We are from Calgary and we are trying in India. But we did our IUI's in RFC and thinking of going for our IVF there. Any suggestions or clinics in Calgary?

Maggie

#9 Jules013

Jules013
  • 12 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program - Calgary, AB

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:48 PM

We had a successful IVF cycle with RFP (Calgary) in 2018 and conceived our daughter, now 2yrs old. Went back for another cycle just recently and Im about 6 weeks pregnant. They are a busy clinic, some doctors are friendlier than others, but if you can keep your feelings out of it and realize they know what theyre doing, youll be in good hands.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Calgary, Alberta, Clinic, BC, Edmonton