#1 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:22 PM

For those ladies that have given birth at Sunnybrook in the last few years, I have a few questions:

(1) What would you have liked to know before your stay that you found valuable?

(2) What's the difference between the labour suite and the birthing suite?

(3) Do you have a fridge/freezer available to you during your stay?

(4) Did you get the hospital supplied bag? If yes, was it worthwhile, if not, what did you do for the peri-pads and the mesh underwear?

Any other experiences/info would be much appreciated...I like to over-prepare.

#2 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

Ive delivered at sunny brook twice. Its a great place to be.

If you have a peribottle I wouldnt bother with the bag. You can pick one up at shoppers usually. Not sure the difference between the birthing and the labour suite. Im guessing its the same thing. You do not change places between labour and birth. You do everything in the same room. Only one nurse for her whole shift (she will only have one patient as well, just you). After the baby is born, several hours later, they will move you to a room. Whether its private, semi, or regular is up to you and your insurance. You need to be there 24 hours in order to do the PKU testing and other blood draws that need to be done. There are definitely fridges in the rooms. Both labour and postpartum. Certainly bring food. Youll be hungry after! We brought Shepards pie and were so happy we did! Also bring a water bottle. You wont be allowed a lot to eat during labour just in case, but you will be permitted water to drink. Have a snack while in labour before you go. They let me eat a sandwich while I was labourinh since we had to go early in labour since we live so far away (over an hour).

If you need make sure to ask for the numbing cream for your Peru area for afterwards. It really helps going to the bathroom. It may have been a spray. But it works wonders. Especially for your first bowel movement postpartum. Also when using the peri bottle, make it as hot as you can handle. Like seriously hit. It feels so much better like that!

Any questions more feel free to ask. I delivered there barely over a year ago so I remember a fair bit.
  • returnable likes this

See about me page.

#3 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:43 PM

Forgot to say - for pads and mesh underwear, buy a bag of adult diapers instead. Works even better!
  • returnable likes this

See about me page.

#4 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:30 PM

One more tip, I learned from a mom of 4. Unmedicated vasoline on the bum spares you from scraping off sticky meconium

Yup. We live for vasoline in my house.
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#5 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:46 AM

If you have a peribottle I wouldnt bother with the bag. You can pick one up at shoppers usually. Not sure the difference between the birthing and the labour suite. Im guessing its the same thing. You do not change places between labour and birth. You do everything in the same room. Only one nurse for her whole shift (she will only have one patient as well, just you). After the baby is born, several hours later, they will move you to a room. Whether its private, semi, or regular is up to you and your insurance. You need to be there 24 hours in order to do the PKU testing and other blood draws that need to be done. There are definitely fridges in the rooms. Both labour and postpartum. Certainly bring food. Youll be hungry after! We brought Shepards pie and were so happy we did! Also bring a water bottle. You wont be allowed a lot to eat during labour just in case, but you will be permitted water to drink. Have a snack while in labour before you go. They let me eat a sandwich while I was labourinh since we had to go early in labour since we live so far away (over an hour).

If you need make sure to ask for the numbing cream for your Peru area for afterwards. It really helps going to the bathroom. It may have been a spray. But it works wonders. Especially for your first bowel movement postpartum. Also when using the peri bottle, make it as hot as you can handle. Like seriously hit. It feels so much better like that!

Any questions more feel free to ask. I delivered there barely over a year ago so I remember a fair bit.

Thanks for all the info. I'm sure I'll have more questions as we get closer. One thing I'm trying to understand though, not having gone through labour is why the adult diapers/mesh underwear and not just overnight pads? Is it that I just can't imagine the volume of bleeding there will be after birth?

#6 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

Yes. Pretty much. And why waste panties to stains? For me it just made sense to do the adult diapers for a few days then once things slowed down I switched. Also be careful of the pads that have a crisscross later on the top as if you have stitches they can get caught it it.

Thanks for all the info. I'm sure I'll have more questions as we get closer. One thing I'm trying to understand though, not having gone through labour is why the adult diapers/mesh underwear and not just overnight pads? Is it that I just can't imagine the volume of bleeding there will be after birth?

• returnable likes this

See about me page.

#7 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:26 PM

Yes - sunnybrook offers tours. We did the prenatal course there (register early) and they take you through during one of the classes. We did two full days on a weekend and were done.

See about me page.

#8 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:23 AM

Yes we'll be doing the prenatal course. I'm keeping an eye out so the one I want to sign up for doesn't get full. DH lost his job, so I'm trying to delay when we actually sign up.

Another question Quandry...I remember that you were induced and they kept rescheduling on you. Can you summarize how all that went and once they told you you'd be induced you got to come and stay at the hospital? What did they use to induce you and did you get the epidural?

#9 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

Job loss stinks. Hoping he gets a new one soon!

So yes - inductions are tough and go. Because theres only one nurse per patient they need to bring you in during a lull in natural pregnancies. First time I was pushed back five days I think? So they had me down for induction at 38 weeks but I didnt get in till 38.5. Second time there was an error and I was originally scheduled at 37.5, and my ob saw and said no way! They wont do it till at least 38 weeks. So my daughter who was scheduled to come down to watch the toddler had to reschedule (cause she only had a few days off). They set me for 38.5 due to many scheduled csrctions and I landed up going into labour naturally without any need for induction.

As for how - first step was to rupture my membrane (I was already starting to dilate the first time so no need for the Foley though they will start with that if your cerbix isnt already ripe and ready). They they did pitocin. Yes I had epidurals. First one worked great. Second one didnt kick in till they gave a massive top up right before I started pushing. Which was fine with me as my older two were natural unmedicated births. But basically we were trying to deal with other health factors and trying to keep my bo down (pain causes spikes in bp). And I never actually pushed either for the same reason. First delivery was a vacuum delivery. Second was showed to be but y contractions were so strong they didnt need them as baby slid out without any pushing or help.

See about me page.