• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kayte1

kayte1
  • Global 100+
  • 228 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:24 AM

I was looking through the Government of Ontario website about maternity leave, but couldn't find any information on the following... is there any option between a 12 and 18 month leave? Or must it be either of those two options? (ie. could I return to work after 16 months - based on the calendar year of my job - rather than paid over 18 months, be paid over 16?)

If you choose the 18 month option, could part of that time include paternal leave, like it would for 12 months?

#2 Aiglee

Aiglee
  • Global 100+
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:TV, movies, books, puzzles and video games
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:One Fertility

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:25 AM

Hi Kayte,

The 18 month option works the same as the 12 months regarding sharing the parental leave between the 2 parents.

As for going back early, you can say you will take 18 months and then just take 16th, but I'm pretty sure you don't get the full money in that case (you would miss 2 months). I think you can tell your work however months you are going to take, and tell the government 12 so they pay you in full, and just save the money for the extra 4 months, but I'm not 100% sure.

You should call them though! They are really good at answering this kind of questions. I had to call them because I cut short mine and my husband took extra, so he had to get extra money and I had to return some, and they were great explaining everything.

TTC since 2012 (plus 2 years around 2008/2010). I'm 37 years old, husband is 28. 

Karma: Unexplained. 3 Failed IUIs with injectables in 2014. IVF #1: 5 day embryo transferred, 1 frozen. BFN. FET #1: 1 6 day embryo 2AB. BFN

One Fertility: DOR. AMH of 5.8 (Canadian). IVF #2: 2 eggs fertilized (ICSI), transferred 2 day 3 embryos. BFN

Adoption with CAS: Adopted a baby boy! Home since November 6th, 2016, adoption finalized June 26th, 2017.

#3 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Him- Potential SA issues Me- PCOS like crazy/anovulation/long cycles. Started TTC before 30.TTC/Secondary Infertility(2008-2015) - Adopted from public system in Ontario 2012.Freeze-All IVF after OHSS, and successful FET 2015 @ 36Yrs Old.
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:26 PM

There is no paternal leave- all leave is maternity (the first 15-17 weeks, can't recall) and the following is PARENTAL to be split between mom and dad, moms, dads, whatever. Paternal leave doesn't exist except in Quebec where dads get an extra 5 weeks to themselves to help out mom/partner. Usually if you want to take >12 <18 you'd take the 12 at 55% and then take unpaid for the balance. Check how it works out and phone them to confirm. Best of luck on your leave.
See my about me page for details on our IF journey including adoption and other avenues.