TESE on Tuesday and itís all over if this fails

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kittiwakes

kittiwakes
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:traveling, historical romance novels, trying to learn German

Had a son after my second ICSI in 2015. Weíre back to try for number 2 with donor sperm in 2019!
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Munich Fertility

Posted 24 November 2018 - 03:34 PM

My husband goes into surgery on Tuesday to try and find sperm to extract. We've been told that if they find nothing it's all over for us. Nothing else can be done. My husband won't consider donor sperm as we already have a son from a previous ICSI and he says that will just have to be enough.

I know I need to prepare myself for a bad result, but I just don't know how. We've had some really terrible struggles in the last year and this would just be so unbearable. I'll post here Tuesday with how it went. If anyone has any words of wisdom or advice, I'd love to hear it.

Wish us luck!

Me (39) endo, DH (38) low sperm (2014), then complete azoospermia (2018)

2014 IVF#1 - 11 eggs, 2 ICSI, 1 fertilized, but didn't divide - BFN
2014 IVF#2 - bcp priming this time, 22 eggs, 11 ICSI, 10 fertilized, transferred 2 BB blastocysts, nothing to freeze
8dp5dt BFP on FRER - It's a BOY! babyboy.gif  Beautiful baby boy born March 2015 (38w2d) at 5 lb 7 oz.

NICU for hypoglycemia and undiagnosed IUGR
July 2015 PPA and PPD

Nov 2018 Micro-TESE surgery - no sperm cry.gif
March 2019 IVF with donor sperm, 14 eggs, 8 ICSI, 6 fertilized, 3 made it to blast, froze 2, transferred 1 blast - BFN

April 2019 FET #1

#2 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 598 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Hannam (now)

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:20 AM

I have no words of wisdom but Ill be thinking about you and hoping the doctor finds sperm to extract! Has your doctor indicated what the chances of success might be?

Twin girls born December 2017 after 7 years of TTC

See 'About Me' for full details

#3 kittiwakes

kittiwakes
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts

Had a son after my second ICSI in 2015. Weíre back to try for number 2 with donor sperm in 2019!

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:08 PM

Thank you so much! Its nice to hear from someone. Both the andrologist and our fertility doctor think the odds are very good. But, Ive heard that about two other major (non-fertility) issues in my life this past year and those both did not turn out. So Im anxious. From what I found online it looks to be between 50-67%. But, thats just to find sperm. It doesnt relate to if they will freeze well or not. So Im cautiously optimistic.

2014 IVF#2 - bcp priming this time, 22 eggs, 11 ICSI, 10 fertilized, transferred 2 BB blastocysts, nothing to freeze
8dp5dt BFP on FRER - It's a BOY! babyboy.gif  Beautiful baby boy born March 2015 (38w2d) at 5 lb 7 oz.

July 2015 PPA and PPD

March 2019 IVF with donor sperm, 14 eggs, 8 ICSI, 6 fertilized, 3 made it to blast, froze 2, transferred 1 blast - BFN

April 2019 FET #1

#4 kittiwakes

kittiwakes
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:52 AM

They found nothing. We are devastated. They took out 16 tissue samples. They have frozen some of it and haven't looked through all of it, but they predict only a 5% chance of finding anything in that sample.

The doctors are baffled. They even consulted other doctors because they were so shocked. It turns out my husband had sperm in his sample back in August. This is why they told us they were very very confident they would find sperm. But, they found nothing.

We told the doctor that my husband has this strange seasonal behavior. His sex drive always drops to near zero in fall/winter and then revs up really high in spring/summer. I've noticed it ever since I married him because it drives me crazy that we barely have sex for 6 months and then he wants it all the time the other 6 months.

Although, it's probably a lost cause, we have decided to try one more sperm sample next spring just to see if sperm magically reappears.

I am so heartbroken. Sperm donation isn't really an option for us because we already have a 100% biological child and feel that it might be awkward for a second child to only have one biological parent when the other has two.

I just don't know how to move on from this.

July 2015 PPA and PPD

April 2019 FET #1

#5 Graceland

Graceland
  • Global 100+
  • 598 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Hannam (now)

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:44 PM

Oh no, Im so sorry! Im just as baffled as you are. Thats so unbelievably frustrating. How was the sample obtained in august?

Twin girls born December 2017 after 7 years of TTC

See 'About Me' for full details

#6 kittiwakes

kittiwakes
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:11 AM

My husband went to the clinic in August and gave a sample in one of their rooms. They found a couple thousand sperm, but they were non-motile. He repeated it in September and October. Nothing was found in those last two samples and now I wish we would have been counseled again after those negatives that the chances of the TESE being positive had dropped. It's like they were overconfident because of the August sample, but they really should have been thinking about the other two being totally negative.

If it is indeed some strange (and not very scientific) seasonal behavior, we think they've probably ruined any chance of it coming back in spring by taking out so many samples. I am really so mad about that. And so so so heartbroken.

My husband and I have been talking and we are so heartbroken we are just not ready to move on yet. We are going to speak to a counselor about donor sperm, but I think it is just unheard of to have one full biological child and another with donor sperm. I found one couple online who did it and they seem happy, but I would certainly like to hear from more people who chose this option. I think our families wouldn't be very supportive of it.

Do you know an online forum for parents considering sperm donation? I can't find a specific forum here on Ivf.ca for that. I've searched online, but I can only find forums of people selling/buying sperm.

Oh and it's likely a lost cause, but my husband is willing to try some supplements and acupuncture between now and spring just to see if we can create a miracle. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much. Infertility is such a devastating nightmare.

July 2015 PPA and PPD

April 2019 FET #1