I'm still menstruating at 52 years of age... would I have viable eggs? - Ask An Andrologist - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

I'm still menstruating at 52 years of age... would I have viable eggs?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 prenticel

prenticel
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:21 AM

Hello,

I'm hoping you can provide some knowledge around my question of still menstruating at the age of 52...... is it possible I have viable eggs?   I want to have a baby with my partner who is younger than me and it would be a gift if I could use my own eggs and proceed with a gestational surrogate.  

Thank you.

#2 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:44 AM

After 45, almost 100% of womens eggs are genetically damaged and cannot create a viable embryo. Finding a clinic who would do ivf on you without using donor eggs is quite slim and if you do find one the likelihood is that they are only doing it for your money.

I highly recommend looking into donor eggs. There are some amazing clinics in Europe that are much more cost effective than cycling here in Canada or the US. Good luck.

See about me page.

#3 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:46 AM

Ad a side note, if you do go through doing ivf with your own eggs, I recommend doing a few cycles to bank your eggs, and then having the embryos genetically tested to see which ones are normal. This will increase your chances of success though theres no guarantee there will be any genetically normal ones at all.

See about me page.

#4 prenticel

prenticel
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:45 AM

After 45, almost 100% of womens eggs are genetically damaged and cannot create a viable embryo. Finding a clinic who would do ivf on you without using donor eggs is quite slim and if you do find one the likelihood is that they are only doing it for your money.

I highly recommend looking into donor eggs. There are some amazing clinics in Europe that are much more cost effective than cycling here in Canada or the US. Good luck.

thank you for taking the time to reply.  Are you able to proivde the names of the clinics in Europe?  This is all new to me.

From what I've read it's very difficult to find a gestational surrogate......and I'm beginning to wonder if it's best to find a friend or family member to become a surrogate if this is even a thing........ thank you again for your feedback.

#5 prenticel

prenticel
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:47 AM

Ad a side note, if you do go through doing ivf with your own eggs, I recommend doing a few cycles to bank your eggs, and then having the embryos genetically tested to see which ones are normal. This will increase your chances of success though theres no guarantee there will be any genetically normal ones at all.

Thank you for making time to reply.  I'm feeling like the best way to proceed is to find an egg donor, then proceed with the gestational surrogate route.... but it all seems very daunting.

#6 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:52 AM

You wouldnt necessarily need a surrogate to carry actually unless theres some issue with your uterus. Some simple tests will determine that for you. But esp if youre still menstruating its likely you could carry a child yourself. And youll save a ton of money doing that as well. Good luck!

(I used ivf zlin in the Czech Republic and was super happy with their donor egg program. If you do a search on this site for zlin youll see quite a few posts on it)

See about me page.

#7 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3141 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:47 PM

Just a note that in the Czech Republic, by law, clinics can only treat clients up to 48 years of age. I'm not sure what the age limits, if any, are in other countries.

#8 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:31 PM

Just a note that in the Czech Republic, by law, clinics can only treat clients up to 48 years of age. I'm not sure what the age limits, if any, are in other countries.

Cool. I didnt know that!

See about me page.

#9 BengalMom

BengalMom
  • Global 100+
  • 118 posts
  • My Clinic:Hannam/Greece

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:11 PM

I believe that North Cyprus and the US probably have some of the most liberal laws around donor eggs and age, so long as you're healthy!