3 replies to this topic

#1 Sprite06

Sprite06
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:18 PM

Hi

This was requested by the doctor for my sperm and it's not covered by OHIP ..the cost is around $200.

However I just spoke to a colleague who is much older (41 vs 36 which is my age) and the issue was actually more him rather than his female spouse. He said he didn't do any such test ...am I being asked to do a test that is most likely unnecessary??

#2 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3254 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:23 PM

On the other hand I would highly recommend it. You will be spending a lot of money doing IVF or IUI, and the more tests you can do to make sure things are okay from the beginning the better. In the big scheme of things $200 is not a lot. My DH had a high fragmentation which was found before our first IVF. With an addition of Fertil Pro with L-cartinine, high numbers drastically improved. I have heard of ladies on here that did the test after one or two poor result IVFs only to find out their DH had high fragmentation. I really recommend the test and any corrective action if needed. It generally takes about 2-3 months for sperm quality to increase. It can be impacted by smoking, poor diet, obesity, lack of exercise, etc.

Good luck.

#3 kayte1

kayte1
  • Global 100+
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:16 PM

Considering the cost of treatment, $200 is nothing compared to the info and next steps it can give you. For years we thought the problem was solely my egg quality. Imagine later on (and many, many, tens of thousands of dollars later) realizing despite using ICSI every cycle, DH's morphology was under the World Health Organization's minimum standard for success using such treatment. Worth it!! Thorough testing for both partners is key.

#4 Sprite06

Sprite06
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:45 PM

Thanks guys