6 replies to this topic

#1 christinek

christinek
  • 65 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Mt. Sinai

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

Hey everyone,
I'm new here and I'm happy I found this site! I have recently done a bunch of tests and all my results came back normal and healthy. My husband did a S.A. and blood work and both came back with heartbreaking results. It came back with no sperm and a very high FSH level. We are going to see a urologist next week. I. Trying to be positive but I also have to be realistic since my fertility doctor said she's not optimistic about his results. She doesn't even think that ivf is an option. Has anyone had experience with this?

#2 CrisBelieve

CrisBelieve
  • 1000+
  • 1651 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

Hi Christine,

I can relate to some of what you are experiencing.  My DH was also diagnosed with azoospermia (no sperm) when we first started infertility investigations a few years back.  However, he had normal FSH levels.  We have seen many urologists and it was determined that my DH has a blockage somewhere which is the cause of the azoo.  We were able to retrieve sperm surgically and use it for our IVF cycles.  From what I understand, high FSH levels can indicate testicular failure.  But to be certain, you do need to see a urologist to discuss next steps.  I suspect they will also want to do a testicular biopsy to see whether or not sperm is being produced in the testicle.  Sometimes, in men with testicular failure, there still may be some sperm present but in such low numbers that the only way to get to them would be surgically.  There are also other procedures your DH can do that are more extensive than a simple biopsy which just takes a small sample of testicular tissue for analysis.  Ask the urologist about which procedures are available to you....MESA, TESA, micro-TESE, etc.  Whether or not IVF is an option for you all depends on whether or not sperm is found.  if they do find some, they can freeze it for future use when you undergo an IVF cycle. 

I know this diagnosis if very scary.  I am sorry you are going though this.  My best advice would be to try and take things one step at a time.  First thing, see the urologist.  They will give you both a better sense of the options in your DH's case.  Good luck with the appt next week.  Keep me posted on how it goes.  if you need to chat, you can PM me as well.  Wishing you all the best!  xoxo 

More details on our infertility journey in 'About Me' page

Me: 40, DH: 43

TTC for many years - severe male factor - Obstructive Azoospermia

Our 7th cycle brought us the miracles we were looking for.  Our twin girls were born in 2017!  heart.gif heart.gif

Trying for baby #3

Fresh transfer in Feb 2019 = BFN

FET - June 2019

June 25 - transferred one day 6 grade 2 expanded blast

June 29 - POAS...very very faint line!  

July 4 - beta @ 9dpt = 95, beta @ 11dpt = 311, beta @ 13dpt = 646

July 25 - viability scan @ exactly 7 weeks - one baby with heartbeat of 147!  So very thankful.

August 8 - 9 week ultrasound - baby moving around with heartbeat of 170!

August 30 - 12 week NT scan - all looks well with the babe, heartbeat of 155

October 24 - anatomy scan...everything looks great and we are having a babyboy.gif !  So happy!

#3 AlbertaEloise

AlbertaEloise
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • My Clinic:Calgary

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

Hello, I realize this is an older thread, but in case you are still checking back I wanted to reach out. We went through full testing in 2016, and also received the same devastating diagnosis: azoospermia. My husbands FSH was 19 at the time, and our RE advised we either 1) proceed with donor sperm or 2) go seeDr Schlegel (in NYC) for a possible m-TESE. We had a consult and set up appointments for the procedure, but after our final discussion with Dr Schlegel, we decided to cancel our appointments and proceed with donor sperm. We now have one healthy and beautiful child, who looks more like my husband than me, ironically.
I wish you the best of luck with your next steps. Please know that you are not alone, and once you become parents (however that happens - whether adoption/donor sperm/donor embryos/biological IVF success) the pain of infertility will start to fade.
  • CrisBelieve likes this

#4 christinek

christinek
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

Hey ladies,

Sorry I am just seeing these comments. Thanks for the support! We had our appointment with the urologist at Mt. Sinai Hospital and he gave us some hope. He is going to try to get samples from my husband and see if there are any healthy sperm in there that can be used for IVF/ICSI before considering any type of surgery. He was positive and hopeful which made us feel better! We won't let negative thoughts get in our way. My husband started seeing a naturopath so he can be put on the right supplements and he's doing acupuncture twice a week in hopes of it helping. Fingers crossed!!

#5 CrisBelieve

CrisBelieve
  • 1000+
  • 1651 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

Great news!  Which urologist did you see?  My DH is a patient of Dr Jarvi.

More details on our infertility journey in 'About Me' page

Me: 40, DH: 43

TTC for many years - severe male factor - Obstructive Azoospermia

Our 7th cycle brought us the miracles we were looking for.  Our twin girls were born in 2017!  heart.gif heart.gif

Trying for baby #3

Fresh transfer in Feb 2019 = BFN

FET - June 2019

June 25 - transferred one day 6 grade 2 expanded blast

June 29 - POAS...very very faint line!  

July 4 - beta @ 9dpt = 95, beta @ 11dpt = 311, beta @ 13dpt = 646

July 25 - viability scan @ exactly 7 weeks - one baby with heartbeat of 147!  So very thankful.

August 8 - 9 week ultrasound - baby moving around with heartbeat of 170!

August 30 - 12 week NT scan - all looks well with the babe, heartbeat of 155

October 24 - anatomy scan...everything looks great and we are having a babyboy.gif !  So happy!

#6 christinek

christinek
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

@cristine My husband was referred to Dr.Jarvi but when we got the call we were given Dr. Lo and we have been pleased with him so far. He never treated us like this was the end of the world the way my RE made us feel. He takes a very positive approach!

I see that you are now a new mama congrats!!

#7 kittiwakes

kittiwakes
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:traveling, historical romance novels, trying to learn German

Had a son after my second ICSI in 2015. We’re back to try for number 2 with donor sperm in 2019!
  • My Clinic:Munich Fertility

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:59 AM

My husband's FSH is 31 (normal 1-10). We are going to try Micro-TESE. I'm so happy to hear that Cristine had a baby. I wish she could tell me what her husband's values were, but she probably isn't on here anymore.

I just read a paper that said higher FSH values in men don't necessarily predict a negative TESE outcome. So, I really hope we get lucky.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/18973887

Anyone else here to share their experience?

Me (39) endo, DH (38) low sperm (2014), then complete azoospermia (2018)

2014 IVF#1 - 11 eggs, 2 ICSI, 1 fertilized, but didn't divide - BFN
2014 IVF#2 - bcp priming this time, 22 eggs, 11 ICSI, 10 fertilized, transferred 2 BB blastocysts, nothing to freeze
8dp5dt BFP on FRER - It's a BOY! babyboy.gif  Beautiful baby boy born March 2015 (38w2d) at 5 lb 7 oz.

NICU for hypoglycemia and undiagnosed IUGR
July 2015 PPA and PPD

Nov 2018 Micro-TESE surgery - no sperm cry.gif
March 2019 IVF with donor sperm, 14 eggs, 8 ICSI, 6 fertilized, 3 made it to blast, froze 2, transferred 1 blast - BFN

April 2019 FET #1