Medication first? FSH level as predictor of Micro-TESE success? - Male Factor - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Medication first? FSH level as predictor of Micro-TESE success?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kittiwakes

kittiwakes
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:traveling, historical romance novels, trying to learn German

Had a son after my second ICSI in 2015. We’re back to try for number 2 with donor sperm in 2019!
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Munich Fertility

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:48 AM

Hi everyone. My husband and I want to try for a second ICSI child. Our first was born 3.5 years ago. I have endometriosis, but right now my husband is the bigger issue. He has severe male factor infertility. We have been advised to try Micro-TESE.

He has:

• No sperm in his semen
  • FSH 31 !!!!!! (normal is 1-10)
  • LH 13.9 (normal is 1.5-9.2)
  • Testosterone 1.59 (normal is 3.5-8.6)

All of his values are absolutely horrible. His sperm 4 years ago was pretty bad, but we had enough in his semen to do ICSI. Now, we are told to try Micro-TESE and then freeze what they find. But, I am worried even if they find anything it won't survive freeze.

Has anyone been successful with Micro-TESE with such terrible numbers? We have an appointment with an andrologist next week, but I'm interested in hearing what others have experienced.

Should he consider medication first to try and boost his FSH, LH, and Testosterone. If so, what should he try?

Thanks!

Me (39) endo, DH (38) low sperm (2014), then complete azoospermia (2018)

2014 IVF#1 - 11 eggs, 2 ICSI, 1 fertilized, but didn't divide - BFN
2014 IVF#2 - bcp priming this time, 22 eggs, 11 ICSI, 10 fertilized, transferred 2 BB blastocysts, nothing to freeze
8dp5dt BFP on FRER - It's a BOY! babyboy.gif  Beautiful baby boy born March 2015 (38w2d) at 5 lb 7 oz.

NICU for hypoglycemia and undiagnosed IUGR
July 2015 PPA and PPD

Nov 2018 Micro-TESE surgery - no sperm cry.gif
March 2019 IVF with donor sperm, 14 eggs, 8 ICSI, 6 fertilized, 3 made it to blast, froze 2, transferred 1 blast - BFN

April 2019 FET #1

#2 kittiwakes

kittiwakes
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:traveling, historical romance novels, trying to learn German

Had a son after my second ICSI in 2015. We’re back to try for number 2 with donor sperm in 2019!
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Munich Fertility

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:52 AM

No one has responded to this. :-(

We met with the andrologist yesterday and he was surprisingly very optimistic he will find sperm. He acted as though not finding any sperm was just not something he would accept. I like his attitude (even though he was quite a misogynist. I walked the wrong direction when going into his room and he said, "Women are always going in the wrong direction." He also barely let me talk and questioned my science credentials. Ugh). He did say at one point that there is a possibility of there being no sperm so he wasn't totally giving us false hope. But, he did say in our case the likelihood was high.

He would not even discuss using the sperm fresh. He said he wouldn't do it. He will freeze any sperm he finds. So that makes me very very nervous.

The surgery is scheduled for November 27th. I'll come back here with the news of what happened. Please wish us luck!

Me (39) endo, DH (38) low sperm (2014), then complete azoospermia (2018)

2014 IVF#1 - 11 eggs, 2 ICSI, 1 fertilized, but didn't divide - BFN
2014 IVF#2 - bcp priming this time, 22 eggs, 11 ICSI, 10 fertilized, transferred 2 BB blastocysts, nothing to freeze
8dp5dt BFP on FRER - It's a BOY! babyboy.gif  Beautiful baby boy born March 2015 (38w2d) at 5 lb 7 oz.

NICU for hypoglycemia and undiagnosed IUGR
July 2015 PPA and PPD

Nov 2018 Micro-TESE surgery - no sperm cry.gif
March 2019 IVF with donor sperm, 14 eggs, 8 ICSI, 6 fertilized, 3 made it to blast, froze 2, transferred 1 blast - BFN

April 2019 FET #1