6 replies to this topic

#1 BrittOsberg

BrittOsberg
  • 31 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:NewLife Greece

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:37 PM

Hey everyone, 

DH and I are hoping to head to the NewLife clinic in Greece this year, maybe early next year, depending on how things go. Just wondering if any of you have been there and if you have any tips or stories of your experiences there?

DW: 34

DH: 37

TTC: 2011

Ovarian cyst 2008 (lost right ovary and fallopian tube)

Ectopic pregnancy 2011 (tube ruptured - lost fallopian tube) uterus and left ovary remain OK

No hope for natural conception with no fallopian tubes - looking into IVF options

1st IVF cycle 2012 - 6 embryo's, transferred 1  - no result - froze 2 lost 3

FET cycle 2013 - transferred 2 frozen embryo's - chemical pregnancy

March 2016 - Undecided what our next steps are, at a loss with no funding available

May 2016 - signed up for Effortless IVF and set to start IVF in Oct 2016

Oct 2016 - Had to withdrawal from Effortless IVF due to low AMH levels, recommend egg donor - looking into options

Egg Donor IVF in 2019 in Greece!

Nov 29, 2018 - Egg donor selected

Jan 24, 2019 - u/s to check lining thickness at NewLife - result:11.7 mm

Jan 26, 2019 - Egg Retrieval - 13 eggs retrieved

Jan 31, 2019 - 9 5 day blastocysts, transferring 2 today and freezing 7! Transfer went well, had minor cramping the rest of the day.

Feb 9, 2019 - HPT x2 = BFN followed by period 

Feb 10, 2019 - HPT x2 = BFN, clinic deemed failed transfer

Apr 15, 2019 - Heading back to Greece for FET - cycle was cancelled due to high thyroid numbers

Mar 27, 2019 - started Synthroid for Thyroid. Not clear on a return date yet >> stopped this pill and enjoyed my summer. 

Sep 9, 2019 - Starting blood tests to ensure Thyroid is in normal range for clinic >> Thyroid is great

Nov 24, 2019 - Received all prescriptions and ultrasound instructions

Jan 12, 2020 - Flying to London for a break before transfer

FET scheduled in Greece for Jan 20, 2020

#2 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:14 PM

We went to New Life & had a really good experience. 

Are you looking for travel tips?  We took IcelandAir and then transferred to Aegean Air in Germany.  Flying over the poles was a lot shorter then flying across all of North America & then the Atlantic.  

#3 BabyDustandDreams

BabyDustandDreams
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:brazilian jiu jitsu, riding my horse
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Mt. Sinai

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:29 PM

Hey everyone, 

DH and I are hoping to head to the NewLife clinic in Greece this year, maybe early next year, depending on how things go. Just wondering if any of you have been there and if you have any tips or stories of your experiences there?

Hi Britt,

I cannot help with your questions about Greece, but I just want to say that I read your bio and you and me are in the same boat.  I too had an ectopic and lost right ovary and tube, at that time found out that my other tube was very badly occluded and scarred. I have done one cycle of IVF and in November going for my second cycle with my own eggs.  If that fails, our next step is DE.  I'd like to keep in touch with you xo 

Me: 32  38
DH: 35 41
TTC: 10 Years

I wish that I could cohesively list all the dates of all the stuff that has gone on with this fertility struggle, but I cant remember the dates, but here is a list ... which should give you the gist.

2 years, TTC naturally BFN all of the time!
1 year ago we go on Clomid, on the third month BFP! - chemical pregnancy 4wks
Clomid again, BFP - ectopic treated with Methotrexate (sad day)
Clomid again BFP - chemical 5wks
Sonohystogram - all is ok, DH is checked - he's fine too - no explanation

6 months later

August, Clomid BFP!
Beta doubelling, YES!
5 wk u/s no gestational sac anywhere
6wk u/s same as above
7wk u/s same again, FS suggests Methotrexate based on my past history, we decide we are going to wait another 48 hours to confirm as u/s cannot see sac though also cannot see anything in tubes etc and we are hopeful that dates are slightly early, we really want this baby so we decide to wait it out.
48 hours later in the shower, tube ruptures - off to Emerg
u/s - heart beat in my r.tube (tears and unbelievable sadness)
Surgery to remove r.tube - Dr tells me after that he took my r.ovary as well as my tube was fused to my ovary with scar tissue.
Dr runs die through left tube to check its open..... blocked!

Awaiting referral to Mt. Sinai for 3 OHIP covered rounds of IVF.

Referral to Mt.Sinai October 17th (got the phone call in about a week from the time i sent the referral) !!

UPDATE ** at the time in 2015, mt sinai declined me for funded IVF I was 35 but I was too heavy, at about 350lbs.  Dr Greenblatt asked me to loose 100lbs.  Cue depression eating and fast forward 3 years, now weighing 400lbs.  

In March 2017 I had Gastic Bypass surgery and went from 388 to 205.

Started first funded cycle of IVF May 2018

Antagonist long protocol - estrace priming, gonal F, menopur, ganirelix - I ended up injecting myself for 18 days in total, at the very highest doses of all these meds.  I ended up with 3 follicles measuring 2.1, 1.9 and 1.7 before trigger.  On ER, they took out 2 mature oocytes.  They both fertilized over night and by day three, they were 8 cell and 10 cell, looking very good.  The dr's did a day 3 transfer of both, neither implanted.  Likely because they were aneuploid (abnormal).

I took a few months off to gather $15,000 for another fresh cycle that includes drugs etc... Dr Greenblatt will do a flare protocol (minimal drugs) this time and aim for quality over quantity.  Though, with one ovary and being 38 there is no fear of quantity ha ha.  I have been taking DHEA, and OVA boost in hopes to help my quality.. Also Co q 10 and multi vitamins.

It is Sept 29th and I am due to call in my day one any day.  I understand that I will do birth control priming with this cycle.  Wish me luck ladies.... If this doesnt work we will go onto donor egs. xo 

#4 BrittOsberg

BrittOsberg
  • 31 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:NewLife Greece

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:29 PM

Are you looking for travel tips?  We took IcelandAir and then transferred to Aegean Air in Germany.  Flying over the poles was a lot shorter then flying across all of North America & then the Atlantic.  

I’m looking for all tips ha-ha, this is my first-time doing treatment internationally and first time flying to another continent!  Thats good to know though for sure, we haven't booked anything yet, still waiting for my tests to come back and my late period to start LOL

• Tess likes this

DW: 34

DH: 37

TTC: 2011

Ovarian cyst 2008 (lost right ovary and fallopian tube)

Ectopic pregnancy 2011 (tube ruptured - lost fallopian tube) uterus and left ovary remain OK

No hope for natural conception with no fallopian tubes - looking into IVF options

1st IVF cycle 2012 - 6 embryo's, transferred 1  - no result - froze 2 lost 3

FET cycle 2013 - transferred 2 frozen embryo's - chemical pregnancy

March 2016 - Undecided what our next steps are, at a loss with no funding available

May 2016 - signed up for Effortless IVF and set to start IVF in Oct 2016

Oct 2016 - Had to withdrawal from Effortless IVF due to low AMH levels, recommend egg donor - looking into options

Egg Donor IVF in 2019 in Greece!

Nov 29, 2018 - Egg donor selected

Jan 24, 2019 - u/s to check lining thickness at NewLife - result:11.7 mm

Jan 26, 2019 - Egg Retrieval - 13 eggs retrieved

Jan 31, 2019 - 9 5 day blastocysts, transferring 2 today and freezing 7! Transfer went well, had minor cramping the rest of the day.

Feb 9, 2019 - HPT x2 = BFN followed by period 

Feb 10, 2019 - HPT x2 = BFN, clinic deemed failed transfer

Apr 15, 2019 - Heading back to Greece for FET - cycle was cancelled due to high thyroid numbers

Mar 27, 2019 - started Synthroid for Thyroid. Not clear on a return date yet >> stopped this pill and enjoyed my summer. 

Sep 9, 2019 - Starting blood tests to ensure Thyroid is in normal range for clinic >> Thyroid is great

Nov 24, 2019 - Received all prescriptions and ultrasound instructions

Jan 12, 2020 - Flying to London for a break before transfer

FET scheduled in Greece for Jan 20, 2020

#5 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

I’m looking for all tips ha-ha, this is my first-time doing treatment internationally and first time flying to another continent!  Thats good to know though for sure, we haven't booked anything yet, still waiting for my tests to come back and my late period to start LOL

Exciting that it's coming up!  

My first tip would be to find a local clinic or doctor to do the remote monitoring.  Our GP gave us all of our pelvic ultrasound requisitions & blood work.  But she wasn't comfortable re-writing prescriptions, so my DH flew over to Greece for a weekend, left a sample, and carried on the plane a bunch of meds for me!  We had a issue in town where I could not find a local clinic to monitor.  That issue no longer exists, but we had to figure out how to navigate that issue.  It was a pain, but on the good side, the ultrasounds/ blood work were free if given from the GP.   We did a freeze all with the cycle, and after the embryos were frozen we flew over about a month later.   

If you find a local fertility clinic to do monitoring, they will re-write the prescriptions. 

After that it was a standard down-regulation FET cycle.  I started on birth control, took a 1 time lupron shot that lasts a month, did the estrogen & progesterone.   Just make sure you take the progesterone on time while flying.  (It's ok to take it a few hours early -- much better then taking it late.) 

It was very smooth in Greece.  The clinic is close to the airport & we stayed in a hotel about a 10 minute drive from the airport.  Our hotel had free transportation downtown, so we could take their shuttle in to see the sights & the museums.  Go to the archeological museum if you're interested in classic Greece-- great stuff there.  We also went to the waterfront & saw the sights.  

Took a taxi from the hotel to the clinic for the transfer.  The transfer was smooth.  We transferred 2 & 1 implanted & is now in the next room.  After the transfer they take you to your individual room in a wheelchair and you rest for about a hour or so. Chrysta stayed and chatted with us, giving us pictures of the embryos.  Dr. Dovas came to chat & see how we were doing.  After resting, we chatted with Chrysta about restaurants, said goodbye, and went to pick up some more progesterone at a nearby pharmacy.  There's a indoor shopping mall nearby the clinic.  Then we took a taxi downtown to lunch with another lady who had travelled to the clinic from Australia.  The clinic has taxis they work with that give discounts. 

I'd suggest taking it easy on transfer day, and the day after -- but I did not do bedrest.  I got outside and walked in the sunshine. I drank a lot of water to keep up blood flow to the uterus & stay hydrated.  

We stayed a few days in Greece (I think 2 days?), and then flew back to Germany on Aegean Air & transferred back to IcelandAir in Munich. We stayed over in Iceland 1 day each way, for fun & relaxation.  & then home to Canada.  It's about a 6 1/2 hour flight from western Canada to Iceland because you're flying over the poles.  We stayed over for 24 hours in Iceland each way to relax & see Iceland.  Iceland Air lets you extend your trip for up to 7 days for free.  Then from Iceland it's about a 3 1/2 hour flight to Germany.  The flight from Germany to Greece was 2 or 3 hours. 

Let me know if you're looking for advice on hotels!  Some people stay downtown & others stay closer to the clinic.  If you go in the summertime, there are beautiful beaches on the peninsula about a hour drive.   We didn't do this because we travelled in the winter -- which is pretty warm for Canadians!  But they close a bunch of places to stay on the beaches in the winter.  

After I got back, I went for a beta test using the requisition from my GP.  Your GP can give you a repeat beta that lets you go back to dynalife as many times as you want.  I got several betas to make sure I was regularly doubling.  I sent them over to the clinic.  My GP gave me a pelvic ultrasound and I went to Insight imaging between 6-7 weeks.  The clinic asked us to send back pictures if we could get them.  We got the digital pictures and sent them back to the clinic.  Chrysta was very supportive when I had some blood that worried me.  I took progesterone & baby asprin until about 11 weeks.  My GP referred me to a OB/GYN & followed the pregnancy from 6 weeks to 12 weeks -- checking blood pressure & prenatal advice. At 12 weeks I had my first appointment with my OB/GYN.

Good luck & let me know if you have any other questions!  

#6 BengalMom

BengalMom
  • Global 100+
  • 118 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Hannam/Greece

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:58 PM

I chime in and say Tess has ALL the good tips! :)

I have lots of generic travel tips, if you want them. I've traveled a lot (although I haven't been to Greece - yet!), so I'm happy to share any layover ideas!

• Tess likes this

#7 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:49 AM

BengalMom,

Thank you!  It's fun for me to remember it -- was a great adventure for us.  How is your cycle going?

For more travel tips:  We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Thessaloniki:  https://www.hyatt.co...ssaloniki/thess.   The hotel is located near the clinic in the suburbs & airport.  There's a free breakfast buffet that is delicious.  The hotel does free pick-ups at the airport & regular shuttles to downtown. 

There are a lot of different hotel options at different price points in the city.  We met someone from Australia who stayed in a boutique hotel downtown near the restaurants, and another couple who stayed at a hotel on the waterfront downtown near the archeological museum & the tower.  They both liked their hotels -- I'm blanking on the name of the hotel on the water, but I've been told by other people they liked it & the water-facing views were particularly nice.  We found it relaxing to stay outside of the downtown area, which is a very social with lots of restaurants, coffee shops, farmer & flower markets during the day, people walking around.  Classic Greek nightlife which means people are out & about in the town square & social late into the night.  

I can't say enough good things about the clinic.  They did a great job running the cycle, were very organized & attentive, and after implantation were very helpful & supportive interpreting beta results and when I had a question or concern.  Setting up remote monitoring was stressful because, at the time, there was no local fertility clinic who was available to re-write prescriptions & do the blood work/ ultrasounds.  But, on the other hand, the blood work/ultrasounds ended up entirely free through our GP because we could not do a fertility cycle.  

The most stressful aspects were figuring out the remote monitoring & packing the bags.  

Once we got on the first plane, things were fun & much less stressful.  We had a 8 hour layover in Germany, and we decided to check into and nap at a airport hotel.  Then we caught a Aegean Air plane to Thessaloniki.  The hotel van was waiting at the airport for us.  They had room service later at night, which was great because we were jet lagged & after a nap we woke up hungry. The next day we relaxed in the hotel pool & spa area.

We also went to the Archeological museum & downtown waterfront.  You can walk up the White Tower on the water.  I would not go to the White Tower after transfer because it can be a little aerobic climbing up the tour.

After the transfer, I took it easy, but did some walking outside.  We went downtown for lunch with a woman from Australia.  Then went home to relax.  We sat outside in the sunshine on the patio & by the pool (I did not swim or go in the hot tub after transfer, just to be safe.)  The next day we went on a driving tour with the taxi driver who had a discount deal with the clinic.  He arranged to take us to several historical sites, churches, the ancient city walls, to eat Greek pastries & went to a nice coffee shop overlooking the city. 

One tip I got on the medical side -- it's ok to put in the progesterone suppository a few hours sooner & overlap if you're going on a plane.  You don't want to risk putting in too little progesterone.  

The travel was nice because it was distracting & fun.  (But we like to travel & we did a lot of relaxing things, like sitting by pools.)  It was not until I got back home that I became stressed about the 2 week wait.

Good luck!!!  

• BrittOsberg likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Greece