42 Years old, looking for a clinic that specializes in AMA - Clinics - General - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

42 Years old, looking for a clinic that specializes in AMA

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Britty

Britty
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Heartland

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:18 PM

Hi I am 42 years old. I have one 3 year old, and have just had a miscarriage at 7 weeks. I am a good responder for my age, but would like to do IVF at a clinic in Canada with a dr that specializes in advance maternal age, but not necessarily a low responder. My numbers are ok, AMH 2.25, FSH 7.5, AFC over 25. My first test on Femera and injectable(75 gonal F) yielded 7-8 eggs and my IUI was canceled. I got pregnant on that cycle (twins)but have just miscarried.

Any recommendations on clinic in the TO or Calgary area? I am currently at Heartland, and although they are great there, I am not sure I want to do IVF there.

Thank you,

#2 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3224 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:42 AM

I don't know whether there are specific clinics that cater to AMA. I assume your concerns are with ensuring that protocols are optimized for you? In that case I would say the Hannam clinic tends to adjust protocols a lot more on a case-specific bases and is willing to do more things outside of the box.

However, I wonder what your specific concerns are. Although you may be a good responder, actually great considering your age, one issue may be the fact that due to your age, the egg quality and chances for a chromosomally normal embryo will be greatly reduced. Once you have a good embryo, using a medicated FET protocol takes away a lot of the age-related potential issues. However if you are starting with something that has some deficiencies, no matter what you do, the prognosis will be poor.

I'm sorry if this is sounding too negative, or not what you were looking for. I just didn't want to leave you stranded without an answer. One option would be to do IVF and then do PGS on your resulting day 5/6 embryos to see which ones are chromosomally normal. That way you see whether your eggs/embryos have the integrity to make it to day 5/6 and if they are chromosomally normal. Many clinics, including, but not exclusive to Trio, Markham, Create, Hannam in Toronto can do this.

• Britty likes this

#3 Britty

Britty
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:28 PM

Thank you so much for replying! Yes, we are 100% doing PGS. My current dr. feels we can get a lot of eggs and with my husband being 12 years younger (31) he has excellent numbers as well. I just know that I want to optimize my chances with protocol, Dr, Labs etc and I cant find any information on labs, or success rates or anything. I am finding it extremely hard to do research and I'm finding its taking a long time for anyone to even get back to me to talk about any of their success rates or get a first apt. Time is not on my side and I'm a very frusturated.

#4 Britty

Britty
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:35 PM

And yes egg quality is a big concern of mine, and I want a dr who is up on the latest drugs/techniques. I have been pregnant 8 times (most recently last month)and have one daughter who I had just before I turned 39 with my current partner. The other losses were due to my ex husband who had a genetic defect (we both got karyotyped. So I can get pregnant. I just need that golden egg.

#5 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3224 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:17 PM

There is not A LOT that you can do with AMA eggs. The chomosomal abnormalities cannot be fixed by anything, but perhaps other quality issues can be slightly affected. My RE at Trio tried some supplements for three months before the IVF, but unfortunately we never got a chromosomally normal embryo to transfer. Because, based on your past results, you may make a large enough lot of eggs, there may be a golden egg in there for you. Some believe to get past all those miscarriages with chromosomally abnormal eggs is to do PGS (pre-genetic screening) and then only transfer the ones that are normal.

#6 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:38 PM

You might look into Victoria as well -- a lot of patients from Heartland seem to end up there (in fact there is an entire "Manitobans who transferred" thread).  Great smaller clinic that treats you like an individual.  They will also generally triage patients based on urgency, so older patients with the clock ticking are somewhat prioritized in terms of getting a consult and starting their cycles.

• Yearning and CdnHockeyGal like this

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.