• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 writegal416

writegal416
  • Global 100+
  • 422 posts
  • Dx:Genetic

Posted 23 September 2018 - 02:45 PM

My surrogate may have to deliver at 37-38 weeks via c-section. Does anyone know how long babies are kept in the hospital for, typically speaking?  And also, do hospitals typically provide seminars for first time parents (on bathing, changing, etc)?

Thanks!

Advised Not to Get Pregnant: Circa 1994 or 1995 (I was FIFTEEN!!!)

Married: August 2010

Started Adoption Process:  January 2013

Started Researching Surrogacy: August 2016

Found Embryos: November 2016

Matched with Surrogate: April 2017, all adoption put on hold (never matched with a child)

Surrogate's First Transfer: July 2017 (one FET) - BFP, but m/c or chemical (unsure, since second beta rose more than 60%, but third beta dropped)

Surrogate's  Second Transfer: October 2017 (one FET) - BFN

Surrogate's Third Transfer: December 2017 (double transfer) - BFN

Moving on to donor eggs...

New donor embryos available!!! Trying with them

Surrogate's Fourth Transfer:  February 2018 - was to be a double transfer, but one did not survive thawing, so single transfer; First beta - 685!!!!!; Beta #2 - 1594!!!  eusa_dance.gif yahoo.gif

First ultrasound (at 7 weeks, 2 days): Heart rate of 154 bpm, measuring slightly behind (just under 7 weeks)

Second ultrasound (9 weeks, 1 day):  Heart rate of 170 bpm, measuring small (again) at a little under 9 weeks.  Basically, it is growing at a good pace, just small - UPDATE:  heart rate is 175 bpm according to an email from the clinic! 

Harmony tests show that we are low risk and we're Team babyboy.gif

#2 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:18 PM

37-38 weeks is considered full term usually. Most babies do well on their own at that gestation and so rarely need to be kept very long. It really depends on the reason for the c section? Likely baby will stay one night, and as long as they liver and blood sugars are doing well 24 hours after birth, they will likely let you take baby home. Depends on the agreement with your surrogate too.

Good luck and congrats!
  • writegal416 likes this

See about me page.

#3 writegal416

writegal416
  • Global 100+
  • 422 posts
  • Dx:Genetic

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:31 AM

37-38 weeks is considered full term usually. Most babies do well on their own at that gestation and so rarely need to be kept very long. It really depends on the reason for the c section? Likely baby will stay one night, and as long as they liver and blood sugars are doing well 24 hours after birth, they will likely let you take baby home. Depends on the agreement with your surrogate too.

Good luck and congrats!

Thanks.  C-section will be around Halloween, so we have another month and a bit (unless something happens).  It's getting so close and I still don't have everything I need!  

Advised Not to Get Pregnant: Circa 1994 or 1995 (I was FIFTEEN!!!)

Married: August 2010

Started Adoption Process:  January 2013

Started Researching Surrogacy: August 2016

Found Embryos: November 2016

Matched with Surrogate: April 2017, all adoption put on hold (never matched with a child)

Surrogate's First Transfer: July 2017 (one FET) - BFP, but m/c or chemical (unsure, since second beta rose more than 60%, but third beta dropped)

Surrogate's  Second Transfer: October 2017 (one FET) - BFN

Surrogate's Third Transfer: December 2017 (double transfer) - BFN

Moving on to donor eggs...

New donor embryos available!!! Trying with them

Surrogate's Fourth Transfer:  February 2018 - was to be a double transfer, but one did not survive thawing, so single transfer; First beta - 685!!!!!; Beta #2 - 1594!!!  eusa_dance.gif yahoo.gif

First ultrasound (at 7 weeks, 2 days): Heart rate of 154 bpm, measuring slightly behind (just under 7 weeks)

Second ultrasound (9 weeks, 1 day):  Heart rate of 170 bpm, measuring small (again) at a little under 9 weeks.  Basically, it is growing at a good pace, just small - UPDATE:  heart rate is 175 bpm according to an email from the clinic! 

Harmony tests show that we are low risk and we're Team babyboy.gif

#4 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:42 PM

Youll figure it out. Really baby needs very little other than diapers, wipes, and a bunch of onesies and sleepers to start with. You could cosleep or baby could sleep in a baby box if you dont have anything else. I would highly recommend a sling or a soft structured carrier tho. Being hands free is the bomb and babies like to be close.

See about me page.

#5 CrisBelieve

CrisBelieve
  • 1000+
  • 1646 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:27 PM

Hi there,

I had my twin girls at 37 weeks + 6 days via planned c-section.  They were 5 lbs 15 oz and 5 lbs 7 oz.  They came into the room with me right after they were born and did not need any NICU time.  We were discharged 48 hours later.  The nurses came in and showed us how to bathe the babies so I am sure if you asked, they would give you some pointers.  Good luck and all the best!

More details on our infertility journey in 'About Me' page

Me: 40, DH: 43

TTC for many years - severe male factor - Obstructive Azoospermia

Our 7th cycle brought us the miracles we were looking for.  Our twin girls were born in 2017!  heart.gif heart.gif

Trying for baby #3

Fresh transfer in Feb 2019 = BFN

FET - June 2019

June 25 - transferred one day 6 grade 2 expanded blast

June 29 - POAS...very very faint line!  

July 4 - beta @ 9dpt = 95, beta @ 11dpt = 311, beta @ 13dpt = 646

July 25 - viability scan @ exactly 7 weeks - one baby with heartbeat of 147!  So very thankful.

August 8 - 9 week ultrasound - baby moving around with heartbeat of 170!

August 30 - 12 week NT scan - all looks well with the babe, heartbeat of 155

October 24 - anatomy scan...everything looks great and we are having a babyboy.gif !  So happy!