• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Serenity1979

Serenity1979
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:29 PM

Hi all. New to this site. My questions: 1) has anyone discovered the reason for their implantation failure? 2) what did your doctor do to investigate implantation issues? 3) what was done to help the issue and was it successful?

I'm 39 and just finished my second transfer (first FET) with another negative outcome. Obviously devastating. Also had two failed IUIs before that. All fertility tests for both my partner and I have looked great - no issues found. We will transfer our last two embryos next time so trying to determine any possible issues with implantation in advance. Reading through medical journals, etc...

I don't feel like my doctor has been super investigative and am wondering how other people doctors have dealt with trying to identify issues.

Thanks in advance!! I'm trying to staying hopeful.

#2 Rach357113

Rach357113
  • Global 100+
  • 350 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Texas Tech Reproduction

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:19 PM

I don't have experience with implantation failure as I am waiting for my first transfer, but I have picked up some info that you might want to look into.

1) After a few failed implantations a lot of RE's will do an ERA(which if you don't know, is kind of like a trial run of a transfer cycle to determine the individuals best time for transfer.)

2) Also, an endometrial scratch can be done which can helps implantation by making the embryo get all snuggled in the lining easier.

3) Have you had a sonohystagram/endometrial biopsy? I have recently gotten results from my endometrial biopsy and it showed polyps that my RE missed on my sonohystagram and polyps can inhibit implantation.

With regards to stuff you can do(that are less than scientific):

1)Get more iron in your diet, this will help a healthy lining develop.

2)Some people say that Raspberry leaf tea (2-4 cups per day) promotes a healthy uterus. You must stop drinking this before transfer as it can cause uterine spasms (which won't help implantation).

3) Some people also swear by the pineapple core, which contains Bromelain which can help with implantation(it has to be a fresh pineapple as the canning process destroys the bromelain). You are supposed to cut the pineapple lengthways down the middle and cut each half into 1/4. Each 1/4 piece every day). In the case of FET you are supposed to start eating on the day of transfer and continue until the end of your 2WW. Then don't eat pineapple again until the 3rd trimester as it can cause a miscarriage(I'm not sure why)

Other than that I would suggest speaking with your RE and request to go over all over your test results from cycle monitoring to see if anything(like a borderline lining thickness or E2 levels) 

Me: 33 DH: 32

DX: Me: PCOS, DH:Vasectomy

IVF#1 Feb 2018

Feb 22nd - ER - 14 retrieved, 10 fertilized

Feb 28th - 6 biopsied and frozen

Mar 06th - PGS results - 5 Normal, 1 inconclusive(sample didn't have enough DNA matter to test)

May 15th - Had surgery to remove fibroids.

FET#1

Sept 6th - Lining check(8mm) and Bloods (E2=405, P4=<1) All good smile.png

Sept 13th - FET

Sept 24th - Beta      - 11dp5dt - th_abfp.gif  HCG=185

Sept 27th - Beta #2 - 14dp5dt -                HCG=633

Oct 1st     - Beta #3 - 18dp5dt -                HCG=3,528 

Oct 4th     - Beta #4 -  21dp5dt -               HCG=6,857

Oct 8th     - Beta #5 -  25dp5dt -               HCG=13,442

Oct 11th   - U/S #1   -  28dp5dt -               Calendar=6wk 5dys - GA=6wk 3dys - FHR=127bpm yahoo.gif preggo.gif

Oct 23rd   -U/S #2   -  40dp5dt -               Calendar=8wk 3dys - GA=8wk 2dys - FHR=176bpm

Nov 8th    - U/S#3   -   56dp5dt -               Calender=10wk 5dys - GA=10wk 3dys - FHR=180bpm

Nov 26th  - O/B appt  - Everything went great and little bean is on track!

#3 Soccer242

Soccer242
  • Global 100+
  • 199 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:46 PM

Another reason for implantation failure (if you have pgs tested embryos and also era), is immune issues. Your doctor may suggest immune testing. This isnt an avenue that I have been down but I have heard about it. Your doctor may also re-do investigations for you and your husband if its been a year since your first test (and those tests expire yearly but can also change results ).

Hi all. New to this site. My questions: 1) has anyone discovered the reason for their implantation failure? 2) what did your doctor do to investigate implantation issues? 3) what was done to help the issue and was it successful?

I'm 39 and just finished my second transfer (first FET) with another negative outcome. Obviously devastating. Also had two failed IUIs before that. All fertility tests for both my partner and I have looked great - no issues found. We will transfer our last two embryos next time so trying to determine any possible issues with implantation in advance. Reading through medical journals, etc...

I don't feel like my doctor has been super investigative and am wondering how other people doctors have dealt with trying to identify issues.

Thanks in advance!! I'm trying to staying hopeful.

#4 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2692 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:47 PM

Unfortunately, embryos can fail to implant. Many things have to be just right for implantation to occur.

We did a fresh transfer of one blast and it failed. We did two frozen transfers of one blast each time and both transfers failed. We did a third FET (fourth transfer in total) of two blasts and I have a four year old son.

Sometimes transfers fail and your doctor cant give you a good explanation.

Best of luck.

See about me page.

#5 dragnfly

dragnfly
  • Global 100+
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, working on cars, my chickens
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:CORM, Beaumont,TX, USA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:17 PM

Has your Dr tried a new protocol? I am same age as you and my 1st FET was a chemical. Dr changed protocol/meds and it made a difference for me. All my prayers are with you for this last transfer.
  • Serenity1979 likes this
Me:40/DH:40TOGETHER 24 YEARS, MARRIED 16TTC for 10 years before IVF journey beganSurgery in Feb 2015 to remove large fibroid, polyps, & cysts1st IVF ER in Sept 2015- 10 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized w/ ICSI, 2 blastosysts initially frozen,one embryo did not survive thaw for PGS testing ( very poor grade)2nd IVF ER in Nov 2015- 22 eggs, 13 mature, 9 fertilized w/ICSI, 5 blastocysts, 6 total sent out for PGS, 1 missing a chromosome, 2 monosomies & 3 passed test with good grades1st FET - January 17th 2016, BFN 1-31-16, looks like it may have been a chemical3/8/16 - SHG all clear2nd FET - 3/28/16...officially PUPO!4/5/16 - BFP on HPT4/7/16 - no longer just PUPO, Beta = 3144/11/16 - 2nd beta = 3225!!4/20/16 - 6 weeks, 1st u/s. 4mm, measuring 6w1d, heartbeat = 112bpm!5/4/16 - 8 weeks, 2nd u/s. 16mm,measuring 8w1d, heartbeat = 175bpm5/18/16 - 10 weeks, 3rd u/s. 1 1/2 inches, measuring 10w5d (big baby), 180bpmOk, long story shorterWater broke at 23w5d, DD born at 25w1d. She lived 1st 5 months in NICU in Galveston TX (amazing people)I moved to Galveston TX for 5 months, was not leaving that island w/o my babyShe will be 4 on 9/1/20 and is by far the most amazing person i have ever met!!!And the journey continues...ER Nov 2020, just after Thanksgiving- 5 mature eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 made it to blast but then failed PGSER Mar 29,2020-4 new meds added to protocol (including HGH and Cetrotide), 5 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized, 1 blast failed PGS

And we are officially out
Best of luck to all!

#6 Serenity1979

Serenity1979
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

Thanks! Yes, he's changed the protocol each time, based on how my body has responded. I'll discuss the next protocol with him next Friday.

Congrats! I gather the last protocol worked?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Implantation, FET, Unexplained, 35+, 39+, Causes