After taking estrogen, is Provera *required* to start menses? - Ask the RE - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

After taking estrogen, is Provera *required* to start menses?

estrogen provera medroxyprogesterone IVF extraction cycle menses estrace

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LiamK

LiamK
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:12 PM

My wife is undergoing IVF treatment. In preparation for FET, she took estrogen (2x daily vaginal suppository and injections every 3rd day), raising her blood-estrogen to 2000, but her endometrium was still only 4mm (a week before the FET was to be), so on our doctor's advice we decided to abandon this cycle and try again next month. Questions: is taking Provera (medroxyprogesterone) now a *necessity*, to start her menses? Or could she wait until her ovulation and menses occurred naturally? What would happen if she does not take the Provera, and waits to see if menses begins? She is feeling that her body has been forced around, and would like to let it rest and get back on her natural cycle if possible. After her coming menses (whether Provera-induced or natural), we are considering seeing if her body is able on its own to build up the endometrium naturally (as it has in the past -- 8mm last year, pre-IVF with no drugs). (I am a newbie at this, and she had never taken birth-control until the IVF protocol required it.) I'd welcome any education or links on this. Thank you!

#2 hopefuldadsomeday

hopefuldadsomeday
  • Global 100+
  • 725 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:05 PM

Hi, not a doctor, but can share my wife's experience with her first cancelled FET cycle.  She was on 3 weeks of estrogen (oral/vaginal --> vaginal/transdermal) before they cancelled the cycle due to thin lining.  She was given the option to take provera to bring on her period right away or wait naturally for ovulation/period.  She opted to wait naturally and it took awhile for her period to finally show up. 

My wife also did a natural FET cycle the following month to see if her natural lining would be better, but came back at a dismal 4.65mm.  What finally worked in getting her lining up was estrogen injections (delatestryl) but unfortunately despite the decent lining, still resulted in a BFN for us.  Hope you and your wife find something that works!

• LiamK and SWin29 like this

March 2016 - Miscarriage #1 (chemical pregnancy)

August 2016 -  Miscarriage #2 (Trisomy-16)

December 2016 - Miscarriage #3 (unknown - suspected chromosomal abnormality)

IVF #1 - Aug 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol) - 9 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 blastocysts, only 1 PGS normal embryo 5BB mitoscore 25.1 (frozen)

IVF #2 - Nov 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol - with testosterone priming and growth hormone) - 7 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 5BB mitoscore 33.12 (frozen)

IVF #3 - Jan 2018 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol with growth hormone) -  4 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 6BB mitoscore 29.82 (frozen)

FET #1 - March 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining (6.25mm)

FET #1.2 - April 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining again! (4.85mm)

FET #1.3 - June 4, 2018 (lining 7.5mm!) - th_abfn.gif

ERA Aug 2018 - Pre-receptive by 1 day

FET #2 - Sep 18, 2018 (lining 6.9mm) th_abfp.gif  Beta #1: Sep 30, 2018 - 682  Beta #2: Oct 6,2018 - 6656 U/S: Oct 15 - measuring 6w4d (CRL 6.87mm), HR 127bpm! U/S: Oct 25 - measuring 8w1d (CRL 16.69mm), HR 168bpm!  Discharged to midwives!  June 7, 2019: It's a girl!  DD born 7lb 2oz babygirl.gif

#3 DrMichaelHartman

DrMichaelHartman
  • Physician
  • 325 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Trio Fertility

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:54 PM

You wouldn't need to induce a period with medroxyprogesterone, but it may take a while as hopefuldad said.

Since she has been on estrogen it likely has suppressed an egg from developing that cycle, so once she stops she may bleed or she may start growing an egg soon after. So it could take 4+ weeks for the period to come on. But if her cycles were regular beforehand they should be regular again afterwards.

Good luck!

• mouse likes this

#4 SWin29

SWin29
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:16 PM

Hi, not a doctor, but can share my wife's experience with her first cancelled FET cycle.  She was on 3 weeks of estrogen (oral/vaginal --> vaginal/transdermal) before they cancelled the cycle due to thin lining.  She was given the option to take provera to bring on her period right away or wait naturally for ovulation/period.  She opted to wait naturally and it took awhile for her period to finally show up. 

My wife also did a natural FET cycle the following month to see if her natural lining would be better, but came back at a dismal 4.65mm.  What finally worked in getting her lining up was estrogen injections (delatestryl) but unfortunately despite the decent lining, still resulted in a BFN for us.  Hope you and your wife find something that works!

Hi, Can you please suggest a good RE at Olive who can help with thin lining issue? Thanks in advance!

Edited by SWin29, 10 November 2018 - 10:16 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: estrogen, provera, medroxyprogesterone, IVF, extraction, cycle, menses, estrace