#1 muffin#1

muffin#1
  • Global 100+
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:ceramics, architecture, design, cats, fooooood
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:TRIO

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:01 PM

Hi, does anyone have any words of wisdom on these pre-filled spring safety syringes for Fragmin? I am finding these things to be a barbaric mess! I feel like the needle is very dull, and I cant withdraw the needle without using the rather violent force of the spring retract. The needle is basically stuck in my skin otherwise.

I know these are blood thinners, but I have never struggled with the delivery before - bleeding, instant lumps under the skin, and nasty bruises. I wouldnt say I am a connoisseur of injections, but I have had my fair share of Gonal-F, Menopur, Ovidrel, Orgalutran, Lupron, PIO, and good old HCG. These contraptions are the worst!

I have tried a 90 degree angle, a 45 degree angle using the beveled edge, skin pinched, skin taut...

Please and thanks!!

Me: 39 43 and DH: 33 37, TTC #1 since August 2014
Dx: Unexplained / egg quality? / asymptomatic endometriosis! (? cervical factor), some low morphology but high overall counts

1 missed m/c, 12 medicated cycles, 5 IUIs, 3 IVFs

Feb to May 2018 - FET#1

3 months of Lupron Depot, acupuncture, adding in Prednisone, intralipids, PIO, Fragmin, and the kitchen sink

Feb 27 - Lupron #1, Mar 27 - Lupron #2, Apr 23 - Lupron #3

May 25 - Transfer 1x 3AB now 6AA hatched blastocyst

Jun 1 - 7dp5dt HPT BFP!

EDD: Feb 10, 2019 - hoping our luck continues!!

(data dump in 'About Me')

#2 hopefuldadsomeday

hopefuldadsomeday
  • Global 100+
  • 733 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:14 PM

Not sure if this will help or not

https://vch.eduhealt.../EA.485.H69.pdf

March 2016 - Miscarriage #1 (chemical pregnancy)

August 2016 -  Miscarriage #2 (Trisomy-16)

December 2016 - Miscarriage #3 (unknown - suspected chromosomal abnormality)

IVF #1 - Aug 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol) - 9 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 blastocysts, only 1 PGS normal embryo 5BB mitoscore 25.1 (frozen)

IVF #2 - Nov 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol - with testosterone priming and growth hormone) - 7 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 5BB mitoscore 33.12 (frozen)

IVF #3 - Jan 2018 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol with growth hormone) -  4 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 6BB mitoscore 29.82 (frozen)

FET #1 - March 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining (6.25mm)

FET #1.2 - April 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining again! (4.85mm)

FET #1.3 - June 4, 2018 (lining 7.5mm!) - th_abfn.gif

ERA Aug 2018 - Pre-receptive by 1 day

FET #2 - Sep 18, 2018 (lining 6.9mm) th_abfp.gif  Beta #1: Sep 30, 2018 - 682  Beta #2: Oct 6,2018 - 6656 U/S: Oct 15 - measuring 6w4d (CRL 6.87mm), HR 127bpm! U/S: Oct 25 - measuring 8w1d (CRL 16.69mm), HR 168bpm!  Discharged to midwives!  June 7, 2019: It's a girl!  DD born 7lb 2oz babygirl.gif

FET #3 - Sep 2021?

#3 Abrianna

Abrianna
  • Global 100+
  • 357 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:41 PM

I didn't have any issues with withdrawing the needles but I think I let the spring do it. It burned so bad on injection that I just wanted the freaken needle out as quick as possible. I remember finding it hard to get the needle through the skin sometimes as they are so dull.

I was also amazing with injections after so many rounds of IVF and had never gotten a bruise until Fragmin. After a week of Fragmin my stomach looked like a giant black mess. The only thing that seemed to help was injecting the fluid slowly and holding pressure with ice afterwards. I remember that at times I was struggling to find an area to inject as everything was covered in bruises and hematomas. I lucked out and got taken off the Fragmin at 6 weeks due to an SCH.

Me:33 DH:37 Dx MFI

Ottawa Fertility Centre:

IUI#1 Feb 2016: gonal-f/centrotide
1.5mil post wash BFN

IUI#2 April 2016: gonal-f/centrotide
400,000 post wash BFN

IVF#1 July 2016:long agonist protocol(bcp/suprefact, gonal-f 150iu, Ovidrel)

AFC 28, 12 retrieved 8 mature, 1 fertilized with ICSI BFP ended in CP

IVF #2 Nov 2016:long agonist protocol(gonal-f 125 iu and luveris 75 added)

AFC 18, 3 eggs retrieved 2 mature, total ICSI failure

Hannam Fertility:
IVF#3 July 2017: Antagonist protocol( gonal-f, menopur, centrotide, double lupron trigger)

AFC 32, 17 eggs retrieved, 14 mature 6 eggs frozen as back up, 8 PICSI 3 fertilized and arrested at morula/stage 2 blast.

IVF#3.5 Thawed 6 eggs for fertilization with PICSI and AOA. 2 out 6 thawed, 1 fertilized and arrested day 3.

Final diagnosis of severe male factor with sperm head defect and unexplained egg cytoplasm dysfunction. Moving onto known embryo donation!

Create Fertility (Donor Embryos):

FET#1: December 2018 BFN

FET#2: February 2018 BFP

#4 OuttaControl

OuttaControl
  • Global 100+
  • 220 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:45 PM

Hi Muffin! I am on these flippin fragmin injections as well and my belly has small bruises all over! All the colors of the rainbow!

Are you pressing hard enough on the plunger that the needle retracts before you withdraw it from your skin? Making sure that this happens is the least painful way for withdrawing the needle for me. I agree though, it is kind of a big needle, not like the tiny stimming needles. 

The very first time I used it I didn't understand, I injected the medication, and then withdrew the needle which was extremely painful because the needle didn't want to come out, and after I had the needle out I had to press on the plunger again to get the needle to retract. 

Now, I grab a little skin, make sure not to pull it too tight, stick the needle in like a dart, inject the medication, continue to press on the plunger until the needle retracts and done. 

Hopefully this helps!

Dx PCOS in Apr 2013. Clomid 50 mg and 100 mg - no response. Letrozole 2.5 mg and 5 mg - no response. (tried 4 times over 4 years)

IVF May 2017 - 40 eggs retrieved, 34 mature, 22 fertilized with ICSI, 10 blasts.

FET July 2017 - BFN

FET Aug 2017 - BFN

Taking a break - ERA Test in Jan or Feb 2018

ERA Results Apr 2018 - Need 12 more hours of progesterone

FET June 2018 - BFP!

#5 muffin#1

muffin#1
  • Global 100+
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:54 PM

Thanks hopefuldadsomeday, and good luck on your upcoming beta :)

Abrianna, yes, I find injecting it slowly helps the sting, but then I am left to push hard to get the retraction. I will try the ice before and after! Congrats on your BFP!

OuttaControl, I am still finding the right balance perhaps between firm and being gentle with myself? (I want that Gonal-F pen back that slid in life butter.) Found this the other day. Nothing about the safety device, but the not showering before hand seems wise. I did the #5 tip for most of my other injections, and that seems to work for me, generally:

https://conceivables...ane-injections/

Good luck to you too!! 

Had anyone dared to try their thighs for this one? I tried an Orgalutran once on my thigh and that did not go well. Could barely get that in. This needle might be robust enough for that area though. 

Dx: Unexplained / egg quality? / asymptomatic endometriosis! (? cervical factor), some low morphology but high overall counts

Feb to May 2018 - FET#1

3 months of Lupron Depot, acupuncture, adding in Prednisone, intralipids, PIO, Fragmin, and the kitchen sink

Jun 1 - 7dp5dt HPT BFP!

#6 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:58 PM

The fragmin barbaric needles, I know them well sad.png  Needles aren't that big, but they are horribly dull and that spring mechanism is violent.  I've never felt any burning from them though (make sure to let the alcohol dry first).  But I have definitely completely run out of real-estate with tummy completely covered in large purple bruises, to the point of having to start using my "love handles" to inject -- have not wanted to try upper thigh fat, really don't want the bruises on my legs!  I've also a few times managed to give myself a giant haematoma... like an oversized golf-ball lump sticking straight out with purple spreading 2+ inches around and takes a couple weeks to heal.

Here are my tips:

Definitely ice first, get the area cold.  Then alcohol swab.  Dry.

Find a good chunk of fat, and just grab it up gently - don't pull it or squeeze it - so you can inject into it.

Inject straight in --- VEEERRRRYYYY SLLOOOWWWLLY... seriously, slower than slow... almost like you're barely pushing the plunger... this makes a big difference.

Make sure you go all the way past the spring mechanism, and then let the mechanism pull the needle tip out.

Apply just gentle pressure afterwards.  Ice can help also.

I don't think it's possible to avoid the bruising completely, but if lucky you may get to where some of the injections only cause a tiny little bruise and no lump.

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#7 muffin#1

muffin#1
  • Global 100+
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:09 PM

Thanks Sunshine, that hematoma sounds awful! I hope things are healing well.

I actually tried "decanting" them into a nicer 31G SQ syringe but I worry I am losing too much trying to work out the air bubbles. I cannot recommend this method, but it does speak to my desperation to avoid this mousetrap contraption for thick elephant skin.

I need to have a phone call with Pfizer. Not a great product to use for any length of time.

Glad to hear I am not alone in my unhappiness with these. Thanks all!

Feb to May 2018 - FET#1

Jun 1 - 7dp5dt HPT BFP!

#8 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:10 PM

Hopefuldad -- gotta laugh at the diagram with all those injection sites so neatly lined up side by side, systematically so close together on a relatively "thin person"... that is the diagram used by the pharma company that makes fragmin... clearly they've never injected themselves, or they'd know how completely impossible to line up daily fragmin injections so close together given the big blotchy bruises everywhere!

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#9 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:45 PM

Along the vein of tips...do not ever...I repeat ever..try to jam a full fragmin needle in your abdomen after baseball in a public washroom covered in ball diamond dust.  The results are not pretty and may require medical attention.  Just saying.  *Looks around sheepishly.*

• SunshineTTC and muffin#1 like this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#10 muffin#1

muffin#1
  • Global 100+
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:06 AM

Icing before worked better this morning :)
I also went in at a 30 degree angle, working with the beveled edge.
No bleeding!
  • CdnHockeyGal and SunshineTTC like this

Feb to May 2018 - FET#1

Jun 1 - 7dp5dt HPT BFP!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fragmin, Injections