• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tryingforever

tryingforever
  • Cyclebase
  • 156 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:16 PM

Has anyone been told by their clinic that they are heading into menopause?

When my cycle got canceled this time around, I was told that I my eggs are depleted and that I am likely going into menopause - I am only 38????

In all my cycles I have always done a flare protocol and never a long protocol (with bcp, suprefact, prior to stims). Has anyone found that a longer protocol worked better for them versus the flare protocol?

I get the feeling that my clinic is going to tell me that they recommend that I stop trying as they said prior to this last cycle that if this protocol (450 gonal f, 25 cetrotide, 75 luveris) didn't work nothing would. I just don't know what to do.

I did convert to an IUI and that happened today so for now I will just wait out the 2ww.

kdl
TTC for 6 years
me=41 dh=44
Jan 07 - HSG - Right tube blocked
Feb 07 - Tubal Canalization perform to unblock tube - unsuccessful
Apr & May 07 - Clomid BFN x 2
July 07 - cancelled IUI - FSH too high to start
Aug 07 - 1st IUI - 2 follicles on left, 1 on right - BFN
Oct 07 - 2nd IUI - 1 med follicle on left, 1 lge on right - BFN
Dec 07 - HSG - now both tubes open???
Jan 08 - 3rd IUI - 5 large follicles - BFN
Apr 08 - 1st IVF cycle started and then cancelled due to poor response.
Jul 08 - 2nd IVF cycle cancelled again due to poor response. Converted to IUI - BFN
Oct 14 - 3rd IVF ER Oct 27, ET Oct 30 (only one 5 cell grade 1 transfered)
Nov 13 - BFN
Apr 09 - IVF #4 - BFN

#2 sweetredpepper

sweetredpepper
  • 370 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Edmonton/Foothills/Victoria

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:00 PM

tryingforever, I'm really sorry to hear this. It's my worst fear. My mom went through menopause at age 30. Yep, 30. While that's really unusual, it happens. However, you hear of perimenopausal women getting pregnant sometimes, so it is possible...

Good luck and lots of baby dust to you!
Me: 38 DH: 40
TTC since Sept 2004
Unexplained
2 x IUI w/ Clomid BFN
IVF May 2007 Cancelled (poor response)
Surprise natural preg. June 2007
M/C July 2007
Took a break after m/c
Repeat HSG June 2008 found large polyp
Operative Hysteroscopy and D&C Aug 2008
IVF #2 Nov 2008 Converted to IUI (4 follies)
Beta Dec. 1st. BFN :(
Another surprise natural BFP Feb 2009.
Mar 09: 9-week u/s- foetus stopped developing.
Mar 09: D&C :(
Aug 09: IVF "conversion cycle" cancelled. Worst response ever- 2 follicles. Last chance at ART, so we're done.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1391 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:11 AM

When my cycle got canceled this time around, I was told that I my eggs are depleted and that I am likely going into menopause - I am only 38????

In all my cycles I have always done a flare protocol and never a long protocol (with bcp, suprefact, prior to stims). Has anyone found that a longer protocol worked better for them versus the flare protocol?

I get the feeling that my clinic is going to tell me that they recommend that I stop trying as they said prior to this last cycle that if this protocol (450 gonal f, 25 cetrotide, 75 luveris) didn't work nothing would. I just don't know what to do.

I did convert to an IUI and that happened today so for now I will just wait out the 2ww.

kdl

Hi kdl - what hard news to hear. I am always fearing that they will say this to me. If your hormone levels and other tests seem ok, I might check with another clinic just to get a 2nd opinion, if you are comfortable doing this. Different doc's might interpret things differently or they might agree with your current doc. Also, you might want to just check with the RE on this board as well (if you haven't already).... they have been helpful for me. Wishing you a BFP after this 2WW!!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:56 PM

kdl

Hi Tryingforever,

Yes, I am in the same situation. After my second failed ivf with the "flare" I was told to go to egg donor. I have in such agony for the past week over it. I have asked for a second opinion from a Dr. in Victoria b/c I also don't feel that my case was handled well here in Calgary. I am also 38. I just can't believe that I am now faced with this!!! I never felt old until last week when I was told this-it was horrible. The doctor in Victory has e-mailed me back with some info. about the different protocols and what his opinion it regarding why REs choose one protocol over another. I can e-mail it if you would like ,but I would prefer it be done through a personal e-mail as is has personal info. in it. Take care.

Winsett
([email protected])